infrared41's Best and Worst of the Week - NFL Week 3

infrared41

Put 60 seconds on the clock and let's play our game.

A really good week in NFL uniform match ups. How good? 7 games made the best list and we had one honorable mention. There were a couple real disasters too.

Best:

Another tough call for the top spot this week.

1. Cowboys at Rams: One of the rare occasions when we get to see those beautiful Cowboys road uniforms. If I ran the show, this would be the Cowboys primary look. The Rams look pretty good in all white, but if they had worn their gold pants, this game would have been sheer perfection. But it's still good enough to take the #1 spot this week.

622x350.jpg

2. Bears at Jets: The Jets have one of the top home looks in the NFL. The only thing keeping this game out of the #1 slot is Chicago's blue pants. Put the Bears in all white and this one is the clear cut number one game of the week. This makes 3 straight weeks the Bears have made the top three on the best list.

Chicago+Bears+v+New+York+Jets+ZH43T9QfFR

3. Washington at Philadelphia: The more I see the Eagles in all white, the better I like it. Thanks to Nike, I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of this Eagles look this season. If Washington would fix the jersey stripes to match the pants, they'd have a top five look. Still a really good looking game.

00cbe89630ac5925600f6a706700fc70.jpg

4. Packers at Lions: In my book, the Packers road look is second only to the Raiders road look. Put Detroit in their Barry Sanders era set and this game goes right to the top of the list.

532-1vHmrj.AuSt.55.jpeg

5. Raiders at Patriots: The best road look in the NFL is so good that it carried the Patriots to the best list this week. I think the Pats uniforms are decent, but they could be so much better with a few minor tweaks. Still a pretty good looking game.

Shane+Vereen+Oakland+Raiders+v+New+Engla

6. Ravens at Browns: When they aren't screwing it up with their leotard pants or black jerseys, the Ravens have a really solid look. When it comes to the Browns, enjoy this while it lasts. I think we're all pretty sure the Browns will be battling it out with Tampa Bay and Jacksonville next year.

74-1wKGUz.AuSt.55.jpeg

7. Steelers at Panthers: If they simply went back to their block number font, the Steelers could dominate the best list. The italicized font is the only thing that keeps them from doing it. I prefer the Panthers black jerseys, but the blue ones are starting to grow on me. Very good looking game.

nccb108-921-2014-210014-high-jpg.jpg

Honorable Mention - Texans at Giants: Normally, how colors work together isn't a factor in making the best list. But in this case, while both uniforms look great, there is a little too much blue going on in this one.

AP508782481256_1.jpg

Worst:

1. Broncos at Seahawks: Denver's uniforms are tired and out dated. And they were never good to begin with. Coming off a rare appearance on the best list, the Seahawks return to form with one of the ugliest uniforms in all of football. There's all sorts of ugly going on here.

ByFnTUrIYAAFOvH.jpg

2. Buccaneers at Falcons: When it comes to "modern" looks, the Falcons aren't the worst thing I've ever seen. But when you add in the disaster that is the Buccaneers new look, you make the worst list. Sorry about that, Falcons, you were a victim of circumstance.

Robert+McClain+Tampa+Bay+Buccaneers+v+At

That's it for this week. Be sure to drop by next week for another infuriating/exciting edition.

BB52Big.jpg

Why do people insist that all white is a GOOD look? I've seen some trends and it seems, infrared, that all white uniforms are your go-to for too spots. I just think they're plain and boring. I'm genuinely curious as to why the all-white uniform is appealing to you (and others).

Why do people insist that all white is a GOOD look? I've seen some trends and it seems, infrared, that all white uniforms are your go-to for too spots. I just think they're plain and boring. I'm genuinely curious as to why the all-white uniform is appealing to you (and others).

Color balance, for most of them. There are some all white looks that have horrible color balance.

jNTsTyQ.png

Glad to see the all-white Titans get left off either list.

A lot of people like the Titans in all-white. I'm not a fan. The light blue yoke touches the white while it's bordered by navy on the pants stripe. It clashes and makes the jersey look incomplete. You can clearly tell the two elements weren't designed to be worn with each other. Also Nike has shrunken the yoke on the shoulders considerably. It's far too small now.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Color balance, for most of them. There are some all white looks that have horrible color balance.

And I would argue that the Bears all white look is guilty of that. I think that the Bears blue/white/blue look is one of the best in the NFL. The Browns also look exceptionally good in orange pants (even though they never wear those anymore) -- hell, I even like them in brown pants. IMO, the pants of a football uniform should always match the helmet, unless it creates an undesired monochrome look.

Always? What about the Falcons, Rams, Giants, Broncos, Ravens, Steelers, Bengals (!), and Jaguars (Oh G-d!)? Imagine any of these teams wearing white jerseys with pants that would match their helmets.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

And I would argue that the Bears all white look is guilty of that. I think that the Bears blue/white/blue look is one of the best in the NFL. The Browns also look exceptionally good in orange pants (even though they never wear those anymore) -- hell, I even like them in brown pants. IMO, the pants of a football uniform should always match the helmet, unless it creates an undesired monochrome look.

I agree that the Bears' all white is worse than their blue pants look, but not because of color balance. The look sufferes because the pants stripe doesn't follow the structure that is set forth in both the socks and jersey (blue/white/orange/blue). The blue pants are also guilty of this, but it is less noticeable.

The orange pants for the Browns works as far as color balance, although I still prefer the all white. However, the brown pants throw off the color balance a lot. If they had stripes it would help a little, but having the darkest color as the pants makes the uniform very bottom heavy, especially when paired with the brown socks. But, thankfully they haven't been doing that lately.

jNTsTyQ.png

I agree on Cowboys-Rams, but then I started thinking... are the gold pants shiny anymore? Or do they look more khaki now? Seems like we haven't seen much of them in the Nike era.

Rams gold pants have been discontinued for the past few seasons
Gold isn't even an option?! Well that's just sacrilege. But I'd bet it's a color-matching thing. Nike wants to put them in flat khahi instead of true metallic gold.

EDIT: And the Bears in blue-white-blue are miles better than all-white.

I agree on Cowboys-Rams, but then I started thinking... are the gold pants shiny anymore? Or do they look more khaki now? Seems like we haven't seen much of them in the Nike era.

Rams gold pants have been discontinued for the past few seasons
Gold isn't even an option?! Well that's just sacrilege. But I'd bet it's a color-matching thing. Nike wants to put them in flat khahi instead of true metallic gold.

EDIT: And the Bears in blue-white-blue are miles better than all-white.

Well, no equipment manager wants to manage a team with four different pants options. Naturally, getting rid of the gold and coinciding with Nike's arrival made it all happen

Go A's!

I think the Bengals might look good with orange pants as long as they didn't go full-Tigger and wear them with the orange jerseys.

I smell a photoshop project later.

Welll.......

CINbengalsorange.jpg

*from the monochrome madness thread

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I think the Bengals might look good with orange pants as long as they didn't go full-Tigger and wear them with the orange jerseys.

I smell a photoshop project later.

Welll.......

CINbengalsorange.jpg

*from the monochrome madness thread

Odell Thurman and Brian Simmons. There's a blast from the past.

Here's how it might look with the other jerseys (orange is one of the hardest colors to match)

GioBernOrange2_zps798dae85.png

GioBernOrange1_zps970dd60b.png

That orange yoke with the orange pants is way too much orange for the road uniform. With the black jerseys it doesn't look that bad.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Setting aside that the bengals uniform is one step short of a train wreck, I actually like the all orange, as well as the black over orange.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived