What type of new pro football league could survive? Share your buisness model!

garydavison

Your starting point is a simple one, and without it any business plan simply isn't going to succeed in the 2010's/2020's era of professional sports: having an ownership group, regardless of the number of franchises or where they might be located, where each franchise's group is capable - and willing - to invest (and if necessary, lose) at least one billion dollars, cash.

nav-logo.png

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd do a six team league in a California and Nevada. Las Vegas, Reno, Sacramento, are a few good markets to start. Then grow from there. I think that you'd have to start VERY small and start taking over markets one by one...you couldn't even think about being any where close to the NFL 20 years from now. I think that it would only be possible if a league like THAT started right now, maybe in 20 years or so it could take off.

Noah Oppenheimer

baseballonly on OOTP Forums

Phillies GM in Max Modern Baseball

MMB Phillies Blog--League Blog

IronPigs GM in Continental Baseball League

What's wrong with spring? How many of us really watch the NBA, NHL or MLB in the spring? I usually skip MLB since the Padres have been bad for so long, and I survived the NBA's Jordan years by watching the WLAF instead.

For example, how many of you guys in Tampa would rather go see the old USFL Bandits instead of the Rays, Storm or Lightning?

I personally would like to see a return of the original World League, but if teams in Europe aren't viable, then New York and LA are the only big cities you really need to accompany the usual suspects in Birmingham, Memphis, San Antonio and Orlando. Louisville might be worth a try, or even Boise. Omaha and Virginia might be worth another shot. For northern California, I'd say either San Jose or Sacramento.

I'd do a six team league in a California and Nevada. Las Vegas, Reno, Sacramento, are a few good markets to start. Then grow from there. I think that you'd have to start VERY small and start taking over markets one by one...you couldn't even think about being any where close to the NFL 20 years from now. I think that it would only be possible if a league like THAT started right now, maybe in 20 years or so it could take off.

''Western Football League''

I like the sound of that.

What's wrong with spring? How many of us really watch the NBA, NHL or MLB in the spring? I usually skip MLB since the Padres have been bad for so long, and I survived the NBA's Jordan years by watching the WLAF instead.

For example, how many of you guys in Tampa would rather go see the old USFL Bandits instead of the Rays, Storm or Lightning?

I personally would like to see a return of the original World League, but if teams in Europe aren't viable, then New York and LA are the only big cities you really need to accompany the usual suspects in Birmingham, Memphis, San Antonio and Orlando. Louisville might be worth a try, or even Boise. Omaha and Virginia might be worth another shot. For northern California, I'd say either San Jose or Sacramento.

I agree on Spring. Some seem to thinkthat it could not compete with MLB baseball or even AAA baseball. I like baseball but if I can have football instead I'll watch football!

I'll expand upon none, even though you don't care.

You can talk all you want about how some mid-level market would be ideal for spring football. It doesn't work that way. Look into the local semi-pro football scene to see why (and I know they aren't the same, but bear with me).

The people who attend those games are wives, girlfriends, and family members. RIvalries mean nothing, because those only get established based on time (you really think Dallas and Washington would be rivals if you started a new league now?). Fans won't show up for something that isn't the NFL or NCAA. Anything that thinks otherwise is fantasy.

It's where I sit.

You can talk all you want about how some mid-level market would be ideal for spring football. It doesn't work that way. Look into the local semi-pro football scene to see why (and I know they aren't the same, but bear with me).

The people who attend those games are wives, girlfriends, and family members. RIvalries mean nothing, because those only get established based on time (you really think Dallas and Washington would be rivals if you started a new league now?). Fans won't show up for something that isn't the NFL or NCAA. Anything that thinks otherwise is fantasy.

I do care. This thread is to share buisness/fantassy models that we think could work and also to share opinions like yours. Nothing wrong with debate.

But I can't say I agree with your post. Were the 40 000+fans per game who watched the USFL Generals, Bandits and Bulls just friends and family? Same thing for markets like Birmingham and Memephis and multiple others in the USFL in the 25/30 k range per game. And even the XFL had good numbers in New York and San Fran and over 20 000 friends and family per game in 6 out of 8 markets...

I do care. This thread is to share buisness/fantassy models that we think could work and also to share opinions like yours. Nothing wrong with debate.

But I can't say I agree with your post. Were the 40 000+fans per game who watched the USFL Generals, Bandits and Bulls just friends and family? Same thing for markets like Birmingham and Memephis and multiple others in the USFL in the 25/30 k range per game. And even the XFL had good numbers in New York and San Fran and over 20 000 friends and family per game in 6 out of 8 markets...

You misunderstood my point. The people who attend low level football are the wives/girlfriends/family. That level of football is poorly attended. As you get to bigger levels of football, you get more attendance, generally.

You want to point to attendance from the USFL, even though others have pointed out how the landscape has changed. Then you point to a few good numbers in the XFL. May I point out that both of those leagues folded, meaning that they are NOT good business plans? Thus, my statement that there isn't a good business plan for this.

By the way, if I HAD a good business plan for this, I wouldn't share it -- I'd own it :-) But the best way to end up with a small fortune is to start with a large one.

It's where I sit.

Archived