NHL Brights Series

appleclock

The Preds one has to be my least favorite. I feel like with yellow there are so many options. The steel blue is a very dull color, and I'm sure that even if you switched the steel blue and yellow, the concept will be better. Maybe its just cause its the "brights series" I was expecting a brighter and less dull looking concepts, but I know that with 40 concepts, there will be other yellow jerseys, and thats why you didn't want to use it here.

Jake88%2BSignture.png

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Preds uniforms miss the mark in the context of this series. That "Steel" colour is dull, even if the series wasn't called "NHL Brights." That being said, I like how adapted the checkerboard motif from the previous alternate. This has the potential to look fantastic with yellow as the primary colour.

The Predators are interesting. To me the home sweater looks close to gray (i.e. not bright); it is surprising that you would mute the brightest team in the league.

The Preds one has to be my least favorite. I feel like with yellow there are so many options. The steel blue is a very dull color, and I'm sure that even if you switched the steel blue and yellow, the concept will be better. Maybe its just cause its the "brights series" I was expecting a brighter and less dull looking concepts, but I know that with 40 concepts, there will be other yellow jerseys, and thats why you didn't want to use it here.

The Preds uniforms miss the mark in the context of this series. That "Steel" colour is dull, even if the series wasn't called "NHL Brights." That being said, I like how adapted the checkerboard motif from the previous alternate. This has the potential to look fantastic with yellow as the primary colour.

Thanks for the C&C on the Predators. I can see why you guys would say that this doesn't really fit the context of the series. Yeah, I could have done a yellow jersey like the Preds already wear, but I wanted to try something different because they already are one of the brightest teams in the NHL, so if I did a yellow jersey it would have been too similar to what they already have. I agree that the steel blue isn't really bright and is kind of dull, but I wanted to try a different color other than yellow. I'll give you guys a heads up right now that the Flyers jerseys I did are also going to go against the criteria of the series a bit too, because the Flyers jerseys are already the brightest ones in the league.

Re

Thanks for the comments so far guys. Here's today's entry: the first of the 10 historical teams in the series (every fourth entry will be a defunct/relocated team). We start it all off with the most recent team to depart the NHL--the Atlanta Thrashers.

CPM-NHLbrights-04-ATL.png

To me, Atlanta had way too many contrasting colors. If they wanted to be unique, they should have embraced something like maroon or brown, which are lacking in the NHL, instead of jumping on the blue bandwagon. Eventually, they tried to carve out an identity as “the power blue team,” but that seemed really forced since that color was barely in their logo or on any of their previous jerseys. So I did away with blue completely and went with the earthier colors. The jerseys are inspired by their pre-Edge winged look.

Loving that Thrashers look!

A lot of great concepts in this thread.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Hope everyone's having a good weekend so far... Today I bring you the next team in the series, the Philadelphia Flyers. Okay... so this one is a black jersey and the series is "NHL Brights"... so what gives? Well, my thinking was that Philadelphia is currently the brightest team in the NHL, with their orange and white jerseys with just a touch of black. I never liked the Flyers black jerseys from the 1990s/2000s, so my goal was to design a look that incorporated a black jersey that maximized orange and white as much as possible. C&C and have a good weekend!

CPM-NHLbrights-13-PHI.png

Huh, took you 13 teams before you caved in, and on the flyers no less. The one team that should be orange you decided it was too bright? So the solution is too "maximize" the brightness with black, huh?

The team is already orange. I wanted to do a black jersey and see if I could make that brighter. That's what I did. Love it or hate it I guess.

I getcha here and with Nashville. I do think the Flyers are better in black, probably one of if not the best Flyers concept I've seen. Maybe not quite within the context of the series, but either way, beautiful, plus, like Morgo said, definitely makes the orange pop. Great work.

A couple of concepts for today--both throwbacks to earlier times. Florida: similar to their 90s look. I lightened the logo, removing all traces of gold and just going with the yellow they use in their jerseys. Toronto: tried combining their current hem striping with the elongated yoke of the 70s. C&C thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-14-FLA.png

CPM-NHLbrights-15-TOR.png

striping looks weird on the leafs

Love the Florida jerseys. Leafs home looks good but the striping on the top and bottom of the away looks mismatched to me.

The Leaf striping is mismatched, I know. The problem I ran into was trying to replicate the 70s/80s look without it being a complete replication of the 70s/80s look. Blending two different striping patterns was the best solution I could think of. Not a perfect solution unfortunately.

Two more concepts for today. 1) Hartford Whalers--this is pretty much just a glorified version of their 80s look, with much thicker outlines and different striping patterns. 2) Los Angeles Kings--This is the Burger King logo from 1995 the way that the designer intended for it to look, with a silver beard instead of a purple one. Color scheme is that of the Burger King alternate: black, gold, silver, and purple--the only time the Kings used all four of their signature colors in one jersey. C&C thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-16-HAR.png

CPM-NHLbrights-17-LOS.png

I really do love the series so far I was thinking for the Preds you could do Yellow and blue . I can wait for the Ottawa Senators I also want to see what you do with the rest of the original 6 franchises because they are so classic .

love the kings.

Thanks guys!

Let's get to today's concepts: 1) Columbus Blue Jackets. I'll let this one speak for itself. So I used the Stinger logo... but when electric green is part of your color scheme, how can you not? 2) Colorado Avalanche. Went with the pre-Edge mountain striping, and used the lighter blue as the primary jersey color instead of burgundy. The arm stripes are kind of just to give it a little more flair. C&C thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-18-CBJ.png

CPM-NHLbrights-19-COL.png

Archived