NHL Brights Series

appleclock

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're at the halfway point in the NHL Brights Series. Here's team #20: the Cleveland Barons. They existed in the NHL from 1976 to 1978, and their look was rather traditional compared to the other teams that joined the NHL in the 70s. Mostly I swapped out black for white, added a shoulder yoke on the red jersey, changed the striping, and simplified their cluttered logo. C&C thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-20-CLE.png

Today's concept is the Pittsburgh Penguins. With all the news about them returning to their rightful shade of Pittsburgh Gold as they debuted their new alternate jersey this month, I decided to do away with black and go with blue and Pittsburgh Gold. This ain't ever gonna happen in real life, but for the Brights series I figured this was worth trying... or is this too much now like Buffalo's color scheme? C&C thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-21-PIT.png

I didn't see Buffalo until you pointed it out. Now I can unsee it. The away jersey especially.

Sorry... I will point out that Buffalo's blue is lighter. These are more Buffaslug era colors.

Yeah, thats exactly as what I saw it as. A classier slug set.

Jake88%2BSignture.png

I didn't see Buffalo until you pointed it out. Now I can unsee it. The away jersey especially.

Sorry... I will point out that Buffalo's blue is lighter. These are more Buffaslug era colors.

Yeah, thats exactly as what I saw it as. A classier slug set.

i see predators. not a fan of navy and gold for penguins. nice job mixing it up though

For Pittsburgh you could try powder blue and yellow, with a little bit of black. That would mix it up from the powder/navy/white throwbacks they've worn.

My problem was getting a good balance of yellow and blue onto the white jersey. That's why the white jersey sorta ended up looking more Buffasluggy than anything. I'm pretty satisfied with the home jersey though.

Next team: Montreal Canadiens. Doing Original 6 teams is tough... Boston went okay, but I feel like I dropped the ball on Toronto so far, because Toronto doesn't really have a lot going on with its two-tone jerseys... Montreal has some stuff you can work with though. I'll let this one mostly speak for itself. Tried to combine things that work on both the home and the away, namely the cheststripes. C&C thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-22-MON.png

Today we have the Winnipeg Jets. I decided to go with the current incarnation of the Jets for this series, as tempted as I was to use the 70s/80s Jets' branding. So for this concept, I eliminated the light blue, which kind of is superfluous to their color scheme, and focused mostly on navy blue and white. The striping/yoke is something some of you aren't going to agree with. My thinking was to go with more of a sharp, jetwing-like look. This was actually one of the toughest concepts to do, because of Winnipeg's limited branding history. C&C Thanks!

CPM-NHLbrights-23-WPG.png

Archived