Lehigh Football Uniforms Through The Years

leopard88

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The SMU stripes ran front to back, like shoulder stripes, instead of down the shoulder/sleeve.

HOUSTON_SMU_FOOTBALL_27875705.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

No, I will be watching in the comfort of a bar near home. Ironically, I will be in NYC this weekend (taking my daughter to see "Matilda" on Broadway).

And you?

I'll be there. Coming down from Boston Friday night.

Have fun . . . but Go Leopards!

This photo gallery gives a great overview of Lafayette and Lehigh uniforms over the years . . . including a few I hadn't seen before.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/11/lehigh-lafayette_football_game.html

1964 (100th Game) -- If anyone knows the significance of the 55 on the front of both Lehigh helmets, information would be appreciated.

-5bb12ce4f5ae5776.JPG

A few other samples --

1976 --

-1f05b9556333ff48.JPG

1983 --

-63bdda01ddd93d92.JPG

2006 --

-371f6554f34e8e31.JPG

It's an interesting concept, that's for sure. I'm not sure if it worked though. I think at the very least the sleeves should have been pinstriped too.

The thing with pinstripes is if you think of a suit, you either see either full top-to-bottom pinstripes (jacket and pants), or just bottom (pants sans jacket.) You never see pinstripes on top and solid bottom. I think that's one reason why it works with baseball but not really anything else. The Pacers and Magic were OK with their pinstripes, but the effect is mostly lost without pants and sleeves.

B3EnDPOIUAAd2PC.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's an interesting concept, that's for sure. I'm not sure if it worked though. I think at the very least the sleeves should have been pinstriped too.

The thing with pinstripes is if you think of a suit, you either see either full top-to-bottom pinstripes (jacket and pants), or just bottom (pants sans jacket.) You never see pinstripes on top and solid bottom. I think that's one reason why it works with baseball but not really anything else. The Pacers and Magic were OK with their pinstripes, but the effect is mostly lost without pants and sleeves.

You raise an interesting point, BBTV. I don't think they quite worked either, but I can't put my finger on why. Maybe it was just because the pinstripes were a little jarring at first look.

I'm not a big fan of Lafayette's grey (anthracite?) uniforms and would have preferred a simple maroon and white. However, I think my Leopards were the better looking team (aesthetically . . .

10564836.jpeg10564837.jpeg

. . . and athletically :) )

10564924.jpeg

A better reason to like Lafayette's anthracite uniforms, from the Allentown Morning Call --

Lafayette wore solid "anthracite"-colored uniforms that were purchased by Tommy Kirchoff, the 1993 graduate who is fighting a battle with ALS but who was on hand to support the team. The players never saw the uniforms until they got to the stadium Saturday morning. "They went crazy," Tavani said. …

Tom Kirchhoff was a pretty good QB back in his playing days.

Archived