This is October: 2014 MLB Postseason Thread

AnythingChicago

Angels on the verge of becoming the fifth team in nine years from the American League to have the best WP% and be a one-and-done playoff team.

By all means, however, this is a system we are supposed to embrace in baseball. Sure thing, Bud. This isn't bad for the game at all.

Who's fault is that? The Angels. It's their own fault that they played like :censored:. Don't blame the system. Sorry we can't have all the lovely large market teams with their massive payrolls dominate. Oh :censored:ing well. I understand you're just venting but jeez.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, how the hell is this game only in the 6th? Three hours in and it's only the 6th?

This is baseball's biggest problem.

at least they're trying to fix it. I'd love to see umpires stop letting these guys fiddle with their gloves after every pitch. The bat didn't even come off your shoulders. You stood entirely still. What the f-ck do you need to adjust your gloves for?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Also, how the hell is this game only in the 6th? Three hours in and it's only the 6th?

at least they're trying to fix it. I'd love to see umpires stop letting these guys fiddle with their gloves after every pitch. The bat didn't even come off your shoulders. You stood entirely still. What the f-ck do you need to adjust your gloves for?
It's the batter's way of buying time to contemplate his approach for the next pitch. When you're facing a pitcher who's got not only a fastball in the high-90s but a ridiculous change-up and wicked curveball (or off-speed of some sort) as well, it's important for the hitter to have a really good idea of his approach on a pitcher-by-pitcher, pitch-by-pitch basis.

25yzwqg.png

Angels on the verge of becoming the fifth team in nine years from the American League to have the best WP% and be a one-and-done playoff team.

By all means, however, this is a system we are supposed to embrace in baseball. Sure thing, Bud. This isn't bad for the game at all.

Who's fault is that? The Angels. It's their own fault that they played like :censored:. Don't blame the system. Sorry we can't have all the lovely large market teams with their massive payrolls dominate. Oh :censored:ing well. I understand you're just venting but jeez.

You're the one talking about big market biases, not me. I haven't said one word about that.

spacer.png

Unless you're winning to accept a single table, teams peaking at different times is a consequence of a playoff system.

Again, you could create some kind of regular season championship, but I don't know what you'd do with it.

Hang a banner that no one gives a damn about?

It's the Oakland A's/San Jose Sharks problem. Sure all those division titles or President's trophies or Western Conference Regular Season Champion (gag me) banners are good, but if you never win in the postseason, no one will ever care. In fact, they'll hang them over your heads to shame and taunt you for never winning anything that matters.

If you have postseason success and championships, then you can use those regular season accomplishments to help support your legacy as a good or even great team. Otherwise, they're just marks of shame, really.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

It's the batter's way of buying time to contemplate his approach for the next pitch. When your facing a pitcher who's got not only a fastball in the high-90s but a ridiculous change-up and wicked curveball (or off-speed of some sort) as well, it's important for the hitter to have a really good idea of his approach on a pitcher-by-pitcher, pitch-by-pitch basis.

Bull- :censored: . I played baseball for damn near 20 years. You don't need to step out on every pitch to get "a really good idea of the pitcher's approach." If you can't figure that out by watching from the dugout and on-deck circle, you suck and all the time in the world between pitches isn't going to help.

BB52Big.jpg

It's a bit more exciting for all involved, yes. The Angels bought themselves a seat at the table in a sport that is a crapshoot regardless of how long the playoff series is. The system works.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's the batter's way of buying time to contemplate his approach for the next pitch. When your facing a pitcher who's got not only a fastball in the high-90s but a ridiculous change-up and wicked curveball (or off-speed of some sort) as well, it's important for the hitter to have a really good idea of his approach on a pitcher-by-pitcher, pitch-by-pitch basis.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's the batter's way of buying time to contemplate his approach for the next pitch. When you're facing a pitcher who's got not only a fastball in the high-90s but a ridiculous change-up and wicked curveball (or off-speed of some sort) as well, it's important for the hitter to have a really good idea of his approach on a pitcher-by-pitcher, pitch-by-pitch basis.

Bull- :censored: . I played baseball for damn near 20 years. You don't need to step out on every pitch to get "a really good idea of the pitcher's approach." If you can't figure that out by watching from the dugout and on-deck circle, you suck and all the time in the world between pitches isn't going to help.

It's a lot different when the pitch is being thrown at a speed such that you have to start the swinging process before the pitch is actually thrown.

25yzwqg.png

If I had told you five years ago today that the Orioles, who lost 98 games in 2009, would be facing off with the Royals, who lost 97 games in 2009 in the ALCS five years down the road, you'd laugh me out of the building. Needless to say, this is going to be a very...refreshing, shall we say, ALCS.

It's going to be a great series to watch. The team with the most home runs in baseball versus the team with the least. The team with by far the most stolen bases in baseball versus the team with by far the least. Two absolutely polar opposite small market teams squaring off to see which one goes to the World Series for the first time since the 1980s.

Just to think that either the Baltimore Orioles or Kansas City Royals will be playing in a World Series this year. Wow. It's gonna take a while for this to sink in, but it is oh so sweet.

25yzwqg.png

Congrats to the Royals and thanks for knocking the Angels out.

Here, here, for the Royals advancing.

(unless Washington can pull the comeback) It's too bad for all the love the ALCS will get, the NLCS will feature a matchup casual fans will find to hate.

It's a shame the romance of the AL will have to overcome the colorless oatmeal from the NL, barring a Nationals comeback.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. While I would rather Washington advance than San Francisco, it must be said that we could have a Giants/Dodgers NLCS, and I don't see how anyone couldn't appreciate that matchup for the NL pennant with all the history between those two teams. The NL would finally have a CS on the equivalent scale to those 2003-2004 ALCS's between the Red Sox and Yankees.

Now, another Giants-Cardinals one? Yeah, I think we're all tired of that matchup by now.

spacer.png

Oh please. The Angels got swept by the superior team, leaving no doubt. It's not the system's fault.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived