The Orioles Cartoon Bird

TheFloridianLogoMan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look good, feel good, play good.

So is that why the Marlins stink?

Kinda hard to "feel good" when you have the worst owner in professional sports not named Dan Snyder.

(That would also explain why the Washington OffensiveNames have been so awful for the past 15 years.)

Look good, feel good, play good.

So is that why the Marlins stink?

Kinda hard to "feel good" when you have the worst owner in professional sports not named Dan Snyder.

(That would also explain why the Washington OffensiveNames have been so awful for the past 15 years.)

I wasn't aware the Wilpons bought the Marlins.

Good to know.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

The change to the cartoon bird has been widely seen by O's fans in the greater DC/Balto area as an enormous upgrade over the "realistic" bird and/or caps that just feature the "O's" letter mark. As soon as it was announced the merch started flying off of the shelves here.

It's like the Charlotte Hornets. Some things have an emotional connection with the local fans that are difficult to explain.

When they switched back to the cartoon bird you could almost feel a shift with the organization. This could be new-agey, hippie dippie nonsense, but I don't think it's a coincidence that when they went back to a logo that people associated with positive memories that the team on the field started playing better. They've made the playoffs in two of the last three years. In 2011 after years of losing seasons and irrelevance they went 69-93 in their last season with the ornithologically accurate bird. In 2012 their first full year with Showalter they switched to the cartoon bird, flipped their record to 93-69, and made the playoffs. I'm not saying it's even 5% of the reason for the turnaround, but there's something there.

2011 was the first full year under Showalter. He came in in the 2nd half of 2010. I think the timing with the change to the cartoon bird had a lot to do with ownership knowing a change in performance was coming. Buck was there for 1-1/2 years, a new GM, and some solid core players were really changing the culture of the team. 2012 was the perfect time for a change. I just wish they hadn't brought back the white panel for the home cap.

Nah, he should have a throwback B cap on.

19633bo.jpg

The Old-English B hat is about a billion times better than this generic...thing. As much as you like plain-jane baseball uniforms, not every MLB team needs to have a generic letter, as it's no longer 1907.

buck-showalter-hat-300x300.jpg

In general, I agree. I love that Old English "B", which might be the best cap logo they've ever had.

But we were talking about one specific application, and the Old English is too complicated to be included as part of the Smiling Oriole logo. That's why I suggested the block "B" - simple enough to reproduce at a small size, and yet none of the "ashamed of our city" factor the O's cap has.

Was that ever a real cap logo for them? I thought this was modeled after an old minor league team named the Orioles, long before the current franchise moved to town.

I could live with either of those (Old English preferred). I can't stand the O's cap.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

So, the Orioles are successful..... because of a logo change? Please, it's nothing more than a coincidence. However, I'm still glad they went back to the cartoon bird as Orioles fans seem to like it more.

Listen here, guy, don't be all mad just because your dolphin is now some soulless shape.

Oh? The Dolphins? I assumed we were talking about the Orioles, not the Dolphins.

No, it's a real logo of theirs. From 1955

Strangely enough, it was only worn on the helmets. Never seems to have made it to any caps.

14892045975_e285e422aa_o.jpg

1woodling1955.jpg

Thanks, I knew I had seen the answer before but couldn't remember what it was. Strange that it was on just the helmet.

My personal favorite version...

ozlqmb52amsbssauhigi7hkx5.gif

My favorite: The Roid Rage Oriole-

oriole-roid.gif

It´s really funny for sure..........First i thought it was Manny Machado, then i realized it could´t be him, since this guy still has the bat in his hand :-)

My personal favorite version...

ozlqmb52amsbssauhigi7hkx5.gif

Dear God, no!!! I can't stand that logo. The bird just looks too wimpy . . . or something. If you want a cartoon bird swinging a bat, you need this one.

gnk356weka7e940qfvthk7uhf.gif

Myself, I don't think it gets any better than the original.

lalqok5u1hvc8e6s42cwge1rv.gif

Perfect.

4rzjwfztogqmfzomv44xxzgc8.png

:wub::wub::wub:

Also, I think my sig makes my feelings about the Psycho Bird clear.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Myself, I don't think it gets any better than the original.

lalqok5u1hvc8e6s42cwge1rv.gif

Perfect.

I like it but the detached head is strange. I'd like to see them modernize this a bit and fix that.

Paging ren69. Paging ren69.

Archived