Rockstar Matt

THE Video Game Thread

2,604 posts in this topic

My copy of Breath of the Wild has been shipped. Going to have it Friday. I've been waiting 7 years since Skyward Sword to play a console based Zelda game. 

The Nintendo Switch comes out today. Anyone buying the system or at least interested in playing?

7 minutes ago, Gary. said:

The Nintendo Switch comes out today. Anyone buying the system or at least interested in playing?

My boss is getting his Switch delivered to the office today, so we'll get some time to tinker about w/ it.  I'll let you know what I think.

Switch update:

• It doesn't feel like a console at all.  It's kind of like a phone/tablet with controllers on the side
  • The dock is decent, if not minimal
  • The Switch itself has nice heft to it, thin but not brittle
  • JoyCons snap pleasantly into the side and it feels sturdy when on the main unit
  • The controller adapter that comes w/ the Switch is way too thin.  Adult hands feel cramped and uncomfortable, and the ZL/ZR buttons are far too sensitive and poorly located
  • When using the Switch with both JoyCons snapped into the side, it feels great.  That is ultimately the best part of the experience and you can see in that instance how this is instantly better than the Wii-U
  • Form factor feels a little wonky, like opening the box and saying, "this is what I paid for?"  It's unusual but not disappointing.  Just a little...hmm
  • WARNING:  Do NOT put the wrist strap adapter onto your JoyCon the wrong way.  It is an absolute bitch to undo this once done (as in we had to use a screwdriver and paperclip to jank the connection undone)

We will play some BoTW on it later on today.  Looking forward to it.

Personally, I'm holding out on the Switch. Probably for a year minimum.

It looks fun and everything, but I've only had my Wii U for more than a couple of years and don't feel like I'm ready for a new console yet. Besides that, I'd rather wait until the launch day issues are fixed, Virtual Console is available, and the Switch has a bigger library.

5 people like this

I agree with WildWing, I don't have a strong desire to grab the Switch yet. Probably when Super Mario Odyssey comes out in the Holiday season I might.

2 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Personally, I'm holding out on the Switch. Probably for a year minimum.

It looks fun and everything, but I've only had my Wii U for more than a couple of years and don't feel like I'm ready for a new console yet. Besides that, I'd rather wait until the launch day issues are fixed, Virtual Console is available, and the Switch has a bigger library.

You just summed up my attitude towards the Switch perfectly. Like spot on. 

My Nintendo stock still sucks.

On 2/27/2017 at 4:07 PM, BeerGuyJordan said:

I have been sinking ridiculous amounts of time into my ESO home.

The homes in general I really like, a lot of unique cool places. I spent a couple hours touring every single one until I could settle on one.

Can you play Switch games on your TV, without having the flip/flop back and forth to the controller's screen pad?

Also, this is on the topic of Retro Gaming. I discovered this NES game today, from a Instagram post. It looks like one of the most fun games of all-time. So I'm somewhat mindblown that I never once heard about this game, until today. Never saw a single commercial or magazine article about it, nothing. Anyone ever play this?

250px-Totally_Rad_cover_NES.jpg

19 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Also, this is on the topic of Retro Gaming. I discovered this NES game today, from a Instagram post. It looks like one of the most fun games of all-time. So I'm somewhat mindblown that I never once heard about this game, until today. Never saw a single commercial or magazine article about it, nothing. Anyone ever play this?

250px-Totally_Rad_cover_NES.jpg

I think I have, actually. I don't remember much about it, but a friend of mine from high school told me to download it for my emulator. I don't think I played it much, but from what I remember, it was fun.

I'm not familiar with the game, but there's some cool mutli-level scrolling (especially for an NES game) at the 3-minute mark.

Just beat Horizon: Zero Dawn and I really enjoyed it. The game didn't bring anything new to the action-adventure genre, but it had an awesome story, really fun and challenging gameplay, and superb graphics. Definitely one of the prettier games I've ever played. It's worth a look, if you enjoy open-world, rpg, action-adventure games.

On 14/02/2017 at 10:39 PM, 2001mark said:

I added a nice round 30 of my own favs & chill games to play...

Reveal hidden contents

RBI Baseball
RBI 3
Pirates!
RC ProAm 2
Rad Racer
Crystalis
Castlevania III
Contra
Wheel of Fortune feat Vanna White
Jeopardy 25th anni
Classic Concentration
Family Feud
Adventure Island II
Ice Hockey
Ms. PacMan
Tecmo Super Bowl
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior IV
Batman
TMNT II 
Bomberman II
River City Ransom
DuckTales
Golf
NES Open Golf
Tennis
Wario's Woods
Tetris
Side Pocket
Jackal

Well, I've gone & played out Jeopardy & Classic Concentration.  Fun past times yet repetition is repetition.  

Replaced with Baseball Stars, & Monopoly.  

Wheel of Fortune is still fun, with difficulty because you always start first spinner on the cheaper $ first round.  Have to get in the game later to keep opponents money down while they have the opening hammer.

My monthly paycheck hit this week with an added bonus, meaning it was time for me to go out and get the Switch and BoTW. 

Both GameStops, both Walmarts, and everyone online is sold out and the stores I went to won't have them until April, which means I'll probably wait until MK8 Deluxe comes out.

Anyone picking up MLB The Show 17 in a couple weeks? And is anyone still playing 16? The Show is consistently the only sports title I find myself still playing right up until the new one releases each year. I am utterly addicted.

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, Michael Bolton said:

Anyone picking up MLB The Show 17 in a couple weeks? And is anyone still playing 16? The Show is consistently the only sports title I find myself still playing right up until the new one releases each year. I am utterly addicted.

Reserved my copy yesterday. It's basically the only videogame I play.

I'll be getting mine at the midnight release.  I REALLY wish they had included the WBC, though. Bummer they can't. 

Also, hopefully you can still carry over saves. I've got my RTTS player with about 2000 long balls and more than 20 seasons in his career over the last few games due to that 😎

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Bucfan56 said:

I'll be getting mine at the midnight release.  I REALLY wish they had included the WBC, though. Bummer they can't. 

Also, hopefully you can still carry over saves. I've got my RTTS player with about 2000 long balls and more than 20 seasons in his career over the last few games due to that 😎

I really wish I could have carried over my pitcher from 15 (PS3) into 16(PS4)  I had the next Roger Clemens (sans doping) going.