Rockstar Matt

THE Video Game Thread

Bucfan56    3,847

I thought you could still do that.. I feel like I remember bringing my PS3 player over to the PS4, but I also bought the same game twice for the two different systems (Did the same with GTA 5). 

Michael Bolton    293
12 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

I'll be getting mine at the midnight release.  I REALLY wish they had included the WBC, though. Bummer they can't. 

Also, hopefully you can still carry over saves. I've got my RTTS player with about 2000 long balls and more than 20 seasons in his career over the last few games due to that ?

Yep, you'll still be able to carry over saves into 17.

BeerGuyJordan    915

I was initially very skeptical about ME: Andromeda, but looking at some of the videos detailing the lighter tone, and larger focus on exploration, I think they've made an excited day-one buyer out of me.

Crabcake47    418

Reached 250 hours of Rocket League on Monday. Loved every minute of it. 

CS85    5,399
17 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Reached 250 hours of Rocket League on Monday. Loved every minute of it. 

nOgB1Bv.png

DaRadniz29    68
On 3/12/2017 at 6:29 PM, Michael Bolton said:

Anyone picking up MLB The Show 17 in a couple weeks? And is anyone still playing 16? The Show is consistently the only sports title I find myself still playing right up until the new one releases each year. I am utterly addicted.

Yeah I pre-ordered the MVP Edition-Digital, so I could get the 11K stubs for '16. Still deciding what mode to use the 11K stubs on.  I've been playing '16 quite a bit the last couple of weeks, trying to get some refresher courses on Showtime, regular controls and practice for '17. I've heard mixed reviews on The Show's dev team live streams, but I think there kind of fun.

There mega stream and dev tournament is Thursday 3/16. May have to check it out while watching some NCAA Basketball.  

BayouJim    806

Anybody pick up the new Ghost Recon? I haven't played a Tom Clancy game since the Vegas one but decided to pick Wildlands up and give it a try, and this game is very visually appealing. It also has an online co-op feature that seems like it would be fun to try that I think includes the entire open world map, so if anyone has XB1 and wants to play, let me know! 

CS85    5,399
12 hours ago, 2001mark said:

NES Classic being discontinued by Nintendo.

Arguably one of their most popular items ever...and it's gone.:mojoto:

Nintendo wasn't a big fan of providing architecture that could be jailbroken and turned into authentic-ish novelty emulators.  They would rather lose money by not selling it than make money by selling something that a small portion of their audience can hack.  

2001mark    1,188
3 hours ago, CS85 said:

Nintendo wasn't a big fan of providing architecture that could be jailbroken and turned into authentic-ish novelty emulators.  They would rather lose money by not selling it than make money by selling something that a small portion of their audience can hack.  

Not sure now whether to expect a SNES Classic, unless they overhaul their production & even marketing.  The mini went viral last summer, out of their control, & the production availability will go down in Nintendo lore.

Gary.    302

Just downloaded the Capcom Disney Afternoon Collection for the Xbox One. Basically Ducktales 1 & 2, Chip & Dales Rescue Rangers, Talespin and Darkwing Duck that was on the original NES but in one big title. I beat these games when I was a kid and will beat them as an adult. 

jmac11281    1,133
On 4/14/2017 at 8:55 PM, 2001mark said:

NES Classic being discontinued by Nintendo.

Arguably one of their most popular items ever...and it's gone.:mojoto:

My fiancee got one for me for Christmas. I actually didn't get one until a month later. She had alerts set up whenever a stock of them arrived at a store. We were able to purchase 2 of them and sell them on eBay for a decent chunk of change. I think we made close to $100 profit by selling two. Not a bad sum of money to put into the wedding fund. It's a shame that they are being discontinued, though.

DG_Now    3,998

The NES Classic was a giveaway to scalpers. I expect the mini SNES to be the same. 

So dumb. Nintendo products already have more built-in prestige without the manufactured scarcity they've been playing with since the Wii.

I won't pay more than MSRP for a Nintendo product and shouldn't have to set up buyer alerts or deal with scalpers. So I don't buy Nintendo products.

Also dumb? I had something like $400 or so in Nintendo stock that I made about $30 on. It's stupid that I can make more money buying/selling Nintendo products that I can investing in the company. Something is upside down there.

Red Wolf    853

If Nintendo would ever get their virtual console stuff in order (purchased games carrying over to other systems and such), that would be a delight. I want to be able to give them money for their old games, but they make it so pointlessly difficult. 

2001mark    1,188

I wanted to fall in love with the Switch, hoping it would finally offer a compelling catalogue of titles.  Alas, every other game looks like an N64 game for 11yr olds with nicer graphics.

I'll pass.

wildwing64    1,192

I was kinda sorta interested in the NES Classic, but with the stock issues and scalpers taking advantage of it... nah.

14 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

I wanted to fall in love with the Switch, hoping it would finally offer a compelling catalogue of titles. Alas, every other game looks like an N64 game for 11yr olds with nicer graphics.

You make that sound like a bad thing.

... But the real problem is the lazy ports of games from the Wii U library to make up for poor sales of the Wii U itself and a lack of actual content outside of new Zelda at launch. Mario Kart 8 isn't even three years old, and you're telling me that, in order to play this on the Switch, I'd have to pay £60 for the exact same game with the exact same DLC content, pre-built into this "DX" edition? And then there's the ports of Lego City - which I honestly don't care about to begin with and feel they pushed way too hard to make up for a lack of content even on the Wii U - and Skyrim, which has already been available on more powerful consoles that people already own since October last year.

Even as a longtime Nintendo fan, I'm having a hard time justifying buying one. For me it's too soon after the Wii U, it's too expensive, and there's too little content to warrant the hefty £280 price tag and then some. Maybe in another year, or two years, I might end up picking one up. But right now I just don't care about it. It just feels like another bad business decision in a long line of bad business decisions by Nintendo.

In a way it pains me to say this, but the sooner they end up pulling a Sega, the better.

burgundy    542

I've been holding off on buying any Nintendo system until they come out with another proper Metroid. So, possibly never.

CS85    5,399
54 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

I was kinda sorta interested in the NES Classic, but with the stock issues and scalpers taking advantage of it... nah.

You make that sound like a bad thing.

... But the real problem is the lazy ports of games from the Wii U library to make up for poor sales of the Wii U itself and a lack of actual content outside of new Zelda at launch. Mario Kart 8 isn't even three years old, and you're telling me that, in order to play this on the Switch, I'd have to pay £60 for the exact same game with the exact same DLC content, pre-built into this "DX" edition? And then there's the ports of Lego City - which I honestly don't care about to begin with and feel they pushed way too hard to make up for a lack of content even on the Wii U - and Skyrim, which has already been available on more powerful consoles that people already own since October last year.

Even as a longtime Nintendo fan, I'm having a hard time justifying buying one. For me it's too soon after the Wii U, it's too expensive, and there's too little content to warrant the hefty £280 price tag and then some. Maybe in another year, or two years, I might end up picking one up. But right now I just don't care about it. It just feels like another bad business decision in a long line of bad business decisions by Nintendo.

In a way it pains me to say this, but the sooner they end up pulling a Sega, the better.

I'm very disappointed they just re-sharted the MarioKart 8 game.  That's such an insult.

Seadragon76    311

To me, Nintendo's biggest problem is the lack of decent third party support. Their first party games will always sell like hotcakes no matter what... even if it's just a graphical overhaul and a little extra content like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Those games will always sell because Nintendo treats their first party games like the child who can do no wrong.

The Switch needs some big time third party games, but rehashes and ports aren't enough. Skyrim? I'm betting you that it's not even the remastered version that's on the PS4 and Xbox One already. Ultra Street Fighter II? I thought Capcom was done with that saga and save for the introduction of Violent Ken into the SF universe, it's just a rehash. Bomberman? Sure... but I think it's also a rehash of an older game as well.

To me, why get a Switch when the PS4 or Xbox One has a far larger and far more diverse library of games. Hell, even Steam has a more diverse library of games. To me, Nintendo knows what sells and it's the first party games... but they're too damn stubborn to see that it's not just first party games that make a system work.