Rockstar Matt

THE Video Game Thread

Michael Bolton    284
14 minutes ago, Gary. said:

I never knew that it wasn't for the PS4. I assumed that it was for both.

The PS4 higher-ups don't like EA Access because, according to them, it's "not a good value" or some nonsense. Ironic because in my opinion it's probably the best value in all of gaming. EA Access is what I miss most about having an Xbox.

DG_Now    3,884

Games With Gold and EA Access provides great value for someone like me who has an Xbox One but barely uses it for games.

For $60/year (give or take) you get access to 30+ or so games, and often very good ones. As somone who came of age in NES and Genesis days, it's an insane value.

Lycan38    284
3 hours ago, Michael Bolton said:

The PS4 higher-ups don't like EA Access because, according to them, it's "not a good value" or some nonsense. Ironic because in my opinion it's probably the best value in all of gaming. EA Access is what I miss most about having an Xbox.

Thats speech for, "Oh we cannot make money off EA titles apart of the program. Don't want so we'll make PS Now and make money off people paying to play older titles." All this while Xbox One gets EA Access (which is great since I no longer have to buy Madden, Fifa, or NHL every year) and backwards compatibly for free. Which continues to get better and better.

Seadragon76    303
On 4/28/2017 at 2:53 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

I just got a used PS4 today for 209 bucks (it's a 500 GB model & the disk drive doesn't work, hence the lower price). 

I'm looking at getting a game, but my budget isn't amazing atm after this purchase & rent. So I'm looking at demos for now to try out a game and see if I like it. 

If anything, get yourself PS Plus. It's $25 for three months or $60 for a whole year. You also get discounts and free games every month (two per month, this month's games being Tales from the Borderlands and Abzu).

DG_Now    3,884

I made two recent video game purchases:

1. A Nintendo 2DS. Not the new one that hasn't been released yet, but the tablet-esque version. I kind of love it it. It comes with Mario Kart 7, and I added Sonic Generations, Sega Arcade, and Mario Marker. So far, I'm getting the most from Mario Kart and Mario Maker. Outside of my Xbox One, which I bought in December 2013, I tend to pick up systems later in the cycle when the game base is mature and the value is highest. The 2DS is a lot of fun and for near throwaway money, I'm pretty happy with it. Especially since I was *this* close to getting a Wii U for Mario Maker last fall.

2. On the flipside, I bought NBA Playground. The gimmick is it's a refresh of NBA Jam, but it's more a dud. Not only do you have to open "packs" of cards to get players (I've opened TWO Michael Beasleys!), the game play is so messed up. Shooting is more luck than skill, defense seems to be impossible, an eternity passes before you can inbound the ball, and the rumble goes bezerk for no particular reason and I don't know how to turn it off. The graphics look nice though.

CS85    5,185
9 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I made two recent video game purchases:

1. A Nintendo 2DS. Not the new one that hasn't been released yet, but the tablet-esque version. I kind of love it it. It comes with Mario Kart 7, and I added Sonic Generations, Sega Arcade, and Mario Marker. So far, I'm getting the most from Mario Kart and Mario Maker. Outside of my Xbox One, which I bought in December 2013, I tend to pick up systems later in the cycle when the game base is mature and the value is highest. The 2DS is a lot of fun and for near throwaway money, I'm pretty happy with it. Especially since I was *this* close to getting a Wii U for Mario Maker last fall.

2. On the flipside, I bought NBA Playground. The gimmick is it's a refresh of NBA Jam, but it's more a dud. Not only do you have to open "packs" of cards to get players (I've opened TWO Michael Beasleys!), the game play is so messed up. Shooting is more luck than skill, defense seems to be impossible, an eternity passes before you can inbound the ball, and the rumble goes bezerk for no particular reason and I don't know how to turn it off. The graphics look nice though.

Watched a friend of mine stream Playgrounds.  It's HD NBA Jam with more emphasis on shoving.

DG_Now    3,884

Yeah, after I posted that I learned how to spam 3-pointers with Kyrie Irving. Unless there's a shot blocker nearby, they go in every time. Shoving at least breaks down your stamina and "lottery" bar (basically a special move meter), but it probably needs more balance.

The other thing that makes it better, at least on Xbox, is turning off rumble. Sucks you have to take that drastic an action, but it gets painful to keep it on.

mania    143

I've been playing NBA Playgrounds for the Switch for the last few days.

The learning curve at times seems to be insanely high, but I'm enjoying it overall.

KittSmith_95    628

DeviantArt has won the war, people. Watch  out for terrible fan art galore: 

CS85    5,185
18 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Meh.  There's still Sonic Mania, which is legit.

DustDevil61    437
10 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Yep. Sonic games have a far better track record with 2D games than 3D (or even 2.5D) games.

wildwing64    1,177

So much for those Bubsy the Bobcat rumours :P

On 16/05/2017 at 10:31 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

As an ex-member of the DeviantART Sonic recolour fancharacter crowd... this trailer made me cringe.

I guess it'll make for some interesting custom characters and more gameplay variations that Sonic games don't really need, but, meh. I'm sure Forces will be a good game in spite of this feature.

KittSmith_95    628
9 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

So much for those Bubsy the Bobcat rumours :P

As an ex-member of the DeviantART Sonic recolour fancharacter crowd... this trailer made me cringe.

I guess it'll make for some interesting custom characters and more gameplay variations that Sonic games don't really need, but, meh. I'm sure Forces will be a good game in spite of this feature.

I'm hoping for the same thing, personally. Obviously, this is a return to the Generations/Colors gameplay, which was fun on it's own merit, but hopefully has received tweaking. Personally, I felt they nailed the feeling of 3D Sonic with Adventure 2. It gave you the sense of speed, had a good amount of enemies & you hardly ever lost momentum. If they could use elements from that engine for Modern Sonic, I have no doubt Forces will be a great game. 

jlnhlfan    17
10 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

I'm hoping for the same thing, personally. Obviously, this is a return to the Generations/Colors gameplay, which was fun on it's own merit, but hopefully has received tweaking. Personally, I felt they nailed the feeling of 3D Sonic with Adventure 2. It gave you the sense of speed, had a good amount of enemies & you hardly ever lost momentum. If they could use elements from that engine for Modern Sonic, I have no doubt Forces will be a great game. 

It's actually a hybrid between Sonic 06, Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations.

jlnhlfan    17
On 5/17/2017 at 9:27 AM, DustDevil61 said:

Yep. Sonic games have a far better track record with 2D games than 3D (or even 2.5D) games.

This game I'm SURE to get.

wildwing64    1,177
27 minutes ago, jlnhlfan said:

It's actually a hybrid between Sonic 06, Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations.

I don't see any resemblance to Sonic 06, and I don't think Sega's in a hurry to return to that formula either.

...Mind you there's a sudden, jarring camera angle change in this gameplay footage so there's that similarity to 06 I guess.

On 17/05/2017 at 5:14 PM, CS85 said:

On 17/05/2017 at 5:27 PM, DustDevil61 said:

34 minutes ago, jlnhlfan said:

This game I'm SURE to get.

Mania looks flat out amazing. The developers did a fantastic job with their port/remake of Sonic CD, and I have no doubt that Mania will be even better. This is the real Sonic 4.

jlnhlfan    17
1 minute ago, wildwing64 said:

I don't see any resemblance to Sonic 06, and I don't think Sega's in a hurry to return to that formula either.

...Mind you there's a sudden, jarring camera angle change in this gameplay footage so there's that similarity to 06 I guess.

Mania looks flat out amazing. The developers did a fantastic job with their port/remake of Sonic CD, and I have no doubt that Mania will be even better. This is the real Sonic 4.

The world's state in Forces is not unlike Sonic 06's future.

Crabcake47    399

For anyone who's interested, the Rocket League Championship Series grand final is next weekend (June 3-4).  If you're interested in seeing some amazing 3v3 Rocket League, check it out.