Saskatchewan Whitetails NHL expansion

72freebie

I just realised that I misread the deadline for the NHL expansion Logolympiad event. So since I didn't get it in, in time I wanted to post it and see what everyone thinks and how I can improve this. This is the first time I have ever done anything like this and I want to get better at it so please try to help me out.

Here is my entry the Saskatchewan Whitetails

whittals_zps6fcaa389.png

qG3b3mu.pngK0Kq4L6.pnglSDF7kP.png

I like the uniforms and the primary, but I'm not crazy about the green in the face. Maybe make that a darker brown and then have a green outline? Also, like SuperLeafsFan said, the secondary is pretty bland.

MARKHAM UNITED.png

The primary looks good, but it could be more dynamic. What I would've done is use the green on just the eye instead of the outline. The secondary could be a lot better as well. The jerseys are nicely done!

VHj90kn.png

Primary logo: It just feels unnecessarily long. The neck part feels disproportionate to the head. I think you could cut off the neck by restraining it in a shape, like a circle or a shield.

Secondary logo: Not a huge fan. A bit unoriginal to just have WT — in Copperplate, no less — in a circle. You could do a lot with the antlers instead.

Jerseys: Looks like the shoulder patch is a bit too big, and it and the sleeve numbers are crammed into too small of a space. Reduce the shoulder patch so it doesn't compete with the number for visual supremacy; move the sleeve number down to between the next set of seams. I'd also go with a different number font altogether; the current one is a bit thin on the horizontal strokes and doesn't really stand up to the outlines.

Colour scheme: Green and brown is good, but there's not enough contrast between the two. Where they meet up, like on the numbers/outlines, they bleed into each other. Either find different shades with more contrast or make sure there's always white or even black between the two.

I think the shape of the antlers that you have now says "Stags" more than "Whitetails." Take a look at this reference:

8f3321c859034fcb4f0deb49f087c910.jpg

I'm pretty sure a stag is just a male deer without a mate, not a different breed than a whitetail.

Yes it does refer to various species, but especially red deer as in Europe they say stag rather than buck. My point is if the name is going to be tied to a specific species then it should have the characteristics of that species.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Archived