infrared41's Best and Worst of the Week - NFL week 4

infrared41

Last week, we had seven teams make the best list. That won't be the case this week, but we still had some really good looking games - and a game that could have been in the running for the best of the season, but decided not to. And we got to see some truly awful uniforms take the field this week. So without further adieu, put 60 seconds on the clock and let's play our game.

Best:

1. NY Giants at Washington: The Giants have one of my favorite road looks. I don't care about the red. I don't care about the stripes. It's a good looking uniform and that's all that matters to me. Throw in Washington's home look and we have ourselves a game worthy of the #1 spot on the best list. Great looking game. And a great helmet match up.

c0ae0c50-ab2f-4f7c-b636-23370bd133f3.jpg

2. Eagles at 49ers. The 49ers home uniforms are a top five look. The Eagles in all white looks better to me every week. Great looking game.

1411948498038-USATSI-8113414.jpg

3. Bills at Texans: Almost put this one at #2 but I liked the color contrast better in game #2. The Texans are a perfect example of how a uniform doesn't have to look like the result of a designer's acid trip to be "modern." The Bills look should be the first chapter in the "How to modernize a uniform without ruining it" textbook. Another great helmet match up.

JayProschBuffaloBillsvHoustonTexans.jpg

4. Lions at Jets: As long as the green pants aren't involved, the Jets have one of the best looks in the league. I'd like to say that the Lions look is growing on me, but it's not. I don't like it any more now than I did when it debuted. The Lions are the prime example of a team's look improving through attrition - the Buccaneers ruined their look and the Lions move up another notch. When the Browns inevitably ruin their uniform next season, the Lions will move up again. Still not a bad looking game.

AntonioAllenDetroitLionsvNewYorkJet.jpg

This week's worst list is more like a "one team ruined what could have been a good looking game" list

Worst:

1. Packers at Bears: It's almost impossible for the Chicago Bears to make the worst list - key word being "almost." There is one thing that can get one of the best dressed teams in the NFL on the worst list and it's those awful Bears throwbacks. This game should have been the runaway, no doubt about it, best game of the week. Going into the weekend, I was sure this game would be #1 on the best list. Instead, we got the Bears in what my GF described as "broke-ass Wal Mart uniforms." I get that the Bears are going to wear those 1950's High School uniforms twice a year, but couldn't they at least wear them against teams with bad uniforms? No, it's not the worst looking game of the week. It's here because the Bears really botched what could have been the best looking match up of the year. They need to be punished for that. B)

JordyNelsonGreenBayPackersvChicagoB.jpg

2. Saints at Cowboys: Keep the black pants in the dumpster, and the Saints have a great look. But for reasons passing understanding, the Saints always send someone over to the dumpster to bring out the black pants to ruin another game. No black pants and this one has a spot on the best list. Oh well, it was still a great helmet match up.

15961819-mmmain.jpg

3. Panthers at Ravens: Another "what could have been game." The Ravens are the original improve through attrition team. They look pretty good when wearing the purple jerseys and white pants. Their all black look may be the worst look in the NFL - and in a league that has the Bucs, Jags, Cards, Bengals, and Seahawks, that's really saying something. Thanks for ruining what would have been a good looking game, Baltimore.

3dabf4d22d140126610f6a706700110c_c0.jpg

4. Patriots at Chiefs: The Chiefs in all red. Who thought that was a good idea? I held off doing this week's list just so I could watch this game to decide if it made the best list. Needless to say, that ship sailed with the opening kickoff.

f6bed0aa-52f2-4a8d-90d7-bcfec9bed10b.jpg

5. Jaguars at Chargers: The theme of this week's worst list is "what could have been" and this game is the perfect example of that. The only thing wrong with this Jags look is that idiotic helmet. Fix the helmet, lose the black pants, and I think the Jags would have a really nice modern uniform. The Chargers just need to go back to any of their previous looks.

JohnsthanCyprienJacksonvilleJaguars.jpg

That's it for this week. Thanks for dropping by. We'll be back next week with another exciting/infuriating edition.

BB52Big.jpg

They have really gotta dump those Bears throwbacks. It's cool to wear throwbacks when it's a cool look that's drastically different from the current look. This fits none of the criteria. Everything about that throwback is a downgrade from the current uniforms.

They have really gotta dump those Bears throwbacks. It's cool to wear throwbacks when it's a cool look that's drastically different from the current look. This fits none of the criteria. Everything about that throwback is a downgrade from the current uniforms.

Agreed. They even wear their regular pants with them. That's how similar those throwbacks are to their regular uniforms.

The throwbacks are a worse version of their regular uniforms. The only reason the Bears wear them is to have an excuse to sell a third jersey to the Barece fan.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Bears' throwbacks are useless and awful and only tempered by not being the erstwhile "orange swarm" alternates. Yeah, one week Lovie was like "we want our fans to help us create an orange swarm," which sounded ridiculous because he said it with all the conviction* of a guy who was fed the line ten seconds before the press conference by some typical-for-the-Bears incompetent p.r. dimwit. "Oh, don't forget to mention the orange swarm!" Nothing rhymes with "orange," the slant rhyme is worse than not trying to rhyme at all, and never in the history of animals has anyone ever heard of a swarm of bears. Bears do not swarm. Also, those jerseys tended to be worn by really stupid fat people who mispronounce the best player the team's had in thirty years as "Ur-Locker."

But yeah, rough sledding this week, huh? Even the best match isn't very good.

EDIT: *I'm talking a lack of conviction by Lovie Smith standards, to clarify.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yup, it's just a stripped down version of the home uniform. No logo on the helmet. The number font is worse than their classic font, plus it's hard to see the orange on blue. Same with the sleeve stripes, losing the outlines are a downgrade. I don't get why people like that uniform.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Your number 4 worst was one of my faves to see this week. The Chiefs looked great in monochrome, but I know that it isn't for everyone, and the Pats wore the best uniform combo they have.

Monochrome football uniforms always look terrible. The Chiefs in monochrome is particularly awful because it's coming at the expense of such a great, classic look. Maybe worst of all, the Chiefs in monochrome was horrendous because the jerseys and pants were distinctively different shades of red. You don't notice the difference when worn like an actual football uniform (i.e. not together), but the red jerseys with red pants don't match, making it look worse.

As for the Bears crappy alts, those are actually not their home pants. The throwback pants have thinner stripes.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

As for the Bears crappy alts, those are actually not their home pants. The throwback pants have thinner stripes.

Guess this shoots down the theory that the Bears can't have white pants for the home jerseys and different white pants for the road jerseys.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Monochrome football uniforms always look terrible

No they don't. Some do and some don't. But don't lump them all in one category (which some of you always do).

The Chiefs looked solid in all red. Wouldn't look great every week, but once or twice a year? Just fine. I think we'll see them again this year.

And the Ravens all blacks are "the worst in the league"? Seriously? Not even close. Not in a league with those terrible Washington uniforms (and they are TERRIBLE with all of their inconsistency) and the Browns wayyyyyy dated/will be gone for good in 2015 duds.

At least in my opinion (which is all the author of this weekly rundown is giving anyway). Just one person's opinion.

I don't get all the hate for of the Chargers current uniforms. I like them. Also, I think I may be the only person on the entire board that likes the Saints black pants.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Monochrome football uniforms always look terrible

No they don't. Some do and some don't. But don't lump them all in one category (which some of you always do).

The Chiefs looked solid in all red. Wouldn't look great every week, but once or twice a year? Just fine. I think we'll see them again this year.

And the Ravens all blacks are "the worst in the league"? Seriously? Not even close. Not in a league with those terrible Washington uniforms (and they are TERRIBLE with all of their inconsistency) and the Browns wayyyyyy dated/will be gone for good in 2015 duds.

At least in my opinion (which is all the author of this weekly rundown is giving anyway). Just one person's opinion.

That post was downright civil, Dennis. Welcome back. Anyway, yeah, I think it's pretty much a given that my weekly list is just my opinion. But thanks for clearing that up for those who may have been wondering

BB52Big.jpg

I don't get all the hate for of the Chargers current uniforms. I like them. Also, I think I may be the only person on the entire board that likes the Saints black pants.

a.) I don't hate them, Charlie, I just think they're boring. The blue jerseys with white pants combo ain't bad. It's just that the Chargers current uniform set is nowhere near as good as any of the uniforms that preceded it.

b.) Probably.

BB52Big.jpg

Bears throwbacks FTW!

Actually, this week it was FTL... FML...

And in response the "the admiral," why do you feel the need to bring up "stupid fat people?" Way to perpetuate that stereotype, dude. You had all sorts of valid observations that were completely discredited by that comment.

Bears throwbacks FTW!

And in response the "the admiral," why do you feel the need to bring up "stupid fat people?" Way to perpetuate that stereotype, dude. You had all sorts of valid observations that were completely discredited by that comment.

I think he was referring to the jerseys, not the score of the game.

Anyway, do you really have that big of a problem with someone saying "stupid fat people?" It's not like they don't exist. Every NFL fanbase has them. But if it makes you feel better, there are plenty of stupid skinny people too. Probably more than a few stupid mid-size people too.

BB52Big.jpg

Bears throwbacks FTW!

I think he was referring to the jerseys, not the score of the game.

Anyway, do you really have that big of a problem with someone saying "stupid fat people?" It's not like they don't exist. Every NFL fanbase has them. But if it makes you feel better, there are plenty of stupid skinny people too. Probably more than a few stupid mid-size people too.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was talking about the jerseys. But I don't recall the Bears doing all that well wearing the alternates in the past. Look ugly, play ugly.

As for the "stupid fat people" line, I guess I'm a little sensitive to it ('cause, well, I'm a big dude). If it was just "stupid people" or "fat people" I wouldn't mind so much. But "fat and stupid" always seem to be used in tandem as if one is a synonym for the other. It just bugs me the way "Redskins" bugs some Native Americans.

Then again, I own one of those orange swarm jerseys... It's got Urlacher's name on it... (Although I do know how to pronounce his name; but I've got friends who try to impress people with their knowledge of Urlacher ("UR-latch-er") and Strahan ("Strawn")...). It's ugly, but it fits...

Archived