Cleveland Cavaliers Unveil New Court

CLEstones

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know they'll do a complete rebrand next year.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Also, Cleveland has a pretty nondescript skyline so I don't know why they chose to include it there, but skylines seem to be all the rage in the NBA these days.

There it is again... what does that even mean?

I think it means "not icononic". NYC has an iconic skyline. The Space Needle makes a skyline work for Seattle. There are few more.

So it's not "iconic".

If they want to display THEIR city's skyline on THEIR court, why is it a problem?

Oh, they can do whatever they want. It's just dumb. If your city has a bunch of buildings, roughly the same size, without a really tall one or a very uniquely shaped one, it's non-descript. I can guarantee you that 9/10 people from Cleveland would look at that skyline illustration and not know it was supposed to represent their city. It's like the Cavaliers are trying really hard to look Big City, when the actual big city teams with distinctive skylines (Knicks, Bulls) are above such things. Cleveland's not a big important city, and that's okay. They need to not act like it's one. If they have to fluff themselves, just print "At least we're not Detroit" on the baselines and be done with it.

First... how would anyone FROM Cleveland NOT know what their own skyline looks like? Unless they were blind, slow, or had an extremely short memory, I'm more than positive they would all be able to tell.

No "really tall or very uniquely shaped one", huh? I see 3 in this photo.

towererieview1.jpg

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Those three buildings (and the skyline in general) are probably recognizable to Northern Ohioans but nobody else.

I guess you could argue that "the home court is for the home fans." There are graver ills than the Cavs doing this, but to most this looks like a random skyline.

You know they'll do a complete rebrand next year.

Probably.

That sucks.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Also, Cleveland has a pretty nondescript skyline so I don't know why they chose to include it there, but skylines seem to be all the rage in the NBA these days.

Nondescript? So you mean the Mets' logo with just rectangles everywhere is more distinct? The Cleveland skyline does have some pretty cool buildings... including Key Tower, Huntington Building, the Federal Court House, and the Terminal Tower (the locals' favorite). Cleveland may not be iconic like New York or Chicago, but it still has a beautiful skyline. Any Northeast Ohioan can identify their skyline.

Make all the jokes and take all the shots at Cleveland you want, but the City is on a pretty nice streak... We had the Senior Olympics, The Gay Games, The Republican National Convention. The City has been in the spot light more and more recently.

I think its an absolute genius move on the Cavs part (more so Dan Gilbert who has a heavy investment in the City financially) to market the City skyline on 30+ Nationally televised games. Seems like a good idea, especially with the RNC coming through in the next couple years.

Not sure why every discussions turns in to every City and every team being compared to legendary/iconic counter parts. Yes, Cleveland isn'y New York, Chicago, Dallas, LA... and it never will be. But guess what? It's perfectly OK for people/Clevelanders to embrace what they do have (or don't have).

For my part, I was sort of trying to clarify that Cleveland's skyline is not iconic...my opinion is that this makes it less desirable to try to use, but it's not an egregious issue.

And that's not a shot at Cleveland. This would be true in most US cities. My city(ies) Minneapolis (and St. Paul) would be no more "iconic" than Cleveland. Since we have two skylines, it's not very likely we'd ever use either one prominently, which is fine by me. So while Cleveland is the butt of jokes at times, I really don't think that's what people are doing right now.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Those three buildings (and the skyline in general) are probably recognizable to Northern Ohioans but nobody else.

I guess you could argue that "the home court is for the home fans." Their are graver ills than the Cavs doing this, but to most this looks like a random skyline.

Well in a way, I did say that.

But I'm a born and raised Texan who's never even been to Cleveland and I recognized their skyline ever since I was a kid.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I'm not going into the whole "iconic" thing. I've already (tried) explaining that in other threads. Not wanting other teams to display their own city's skylines just because YOU personally don't recognize what it looks like seems a little smug and uppity to me. But, oh well...

Continue.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

First... how would anyone FROM Cleveland NOT know what their own skyline looks like? Unless they were blind, slow, or had an extremely short memory, I'm more than positive they would all be able to tell.

No "really tall or very uniquely shaped one", huh? I see 3 in this photo.

towererieview1.jpg

First off, those aren't super tall compared to the other buildings. Anyway, looking at a photo of a skyline is much different from looking at a silhouette. Those two sloped roofs don't really show up in single color, and what's on their court kinda just looks like someone drew several buildings, two with antennae, one seemingly with a clock tower at the top. Essentially, a generic-looking silhouette of a city skyline with nothing that's at all distinctive to Cleveland. Conversely, nobody would see the court skyline (without knowing it was for the Cavs), see that picture and say "Oh yeah, those are the same city." That's the point. If there's nothing instantly recognizable about the skyline, there's really no point in highlighting it, and it feels really forced.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Nondescript? So you mean the Mets' logo with just rectangles everywhere is more distinct? The Cleveland skyline does have some pretty cool buildings... including Key Tower, Huntington Building, the Federal Court House, and the Terminal Tower (the locals' favorite). Cleveland may not be iconic like New York or Chicago, but it still has a beautiful skyline. Any Northeast Ohioan can identify their skyline.

Make all the jokes and take all the shots at Cleveland you want, but the City is on a pretty nice streak... We had the Senior Olympics, The Gay Games, The Republican National Convention. The City has been in the spot light more and more recently.

I think its an absolute genius move on the Cavs part (more so Dan Gilbert who has a heavy investment in the City financially) to market the City skyline on 30+ Nationally televised games. Seems like a good idea, especially with the RNC coming through in the next couple years.

Not sure why every discussions turns in to every City and every team being compared to legendary/iconic counter parts. Yes, Cleveland isn'y New York, Chicago, Dallas, LA... and it never will be. But guess what? It's perfectly OK for people/Clevelanders to embrace what they do have (or don't have).

Holy hell. The Mets' logo is New York City, which is one of the most recognizable skylines in the world and the Mets have used that logo forever so they kind of started the whole city skyline thing. Also, they're called the Mets (as in Metropolitan) so the skyline sort of fits with their name.

I didn't take a shot at Cleveland. I said your skyline is nondescript, which it is. A silhouette of Cleveland looks like a silhouette of any city. Your two buildings are literally a punchline in the Cleveland Tourism youtube video.

Nobody gets more offended at the smallest comments about their city than Cleveland. You don't have an iconic skyline. Neither does Cincinnati, nor Columbus. It's okay.

I actually think the court looks cool. I wouldn't have used a color that doesn't appear on the home uniforms so prominently, and I wouldn't have used the nondescript skyline, and I wouldn't have given the center court C the blue drop shadow, but all considered it's a better looking court than the ones they've been using.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It would be so funny if one of the skyline posters tried to be like "YOU CAN'T TELL THAT THIS IS CLEVELAND?!?!?" but had found a general "post your favorite cities" thread from city-data or one of those boards on Google Image Search and unwittingly showed us a picture of Buffalo.

Now I wish I had done that myself to see who would catch it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'll say this -- the Cleveland skyline makes the Dallas skyline look iconic.

I wonder when this city will put its skyline on its court?

portland_skyline.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

It would be so funny if one of the skyline posters tried to be like "YOU CAN'T TELL THAT THIS IS CLEVELAND?!?!?" but had found a general "post your favorite cities" thread from city-data or one of those boards on Google Image Search and unwittingly showed us a picture of Buffalo.

Now I wish I had done that myself to see who would catch it.

I'm pretty sure the "skyline posters" are knowledgeable enough in that category not to make that mistake.

What I don't get is how it's just completely difficult for some people to accept that something does not have to be "iconic" in order for them to use it. Doesn't have to be skylines. Could be anything. Could be something within the city that most, if not, all other cities don't have. But if the rest of the world doesn't know about it, that means that it shouldn't be used in any way?

...that makes NO sense to me. Like, none, whatsoever.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

portland_skyline.jpg

We already put it on our hockey jerseys a few years back...

w0akshz42hqescg22gr57vkoh.gif

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

If you live in (insert city here) then you will like the skyline and probably think it's iconic. Just because it's not iconic to you doesn't mean it's not to others so get out of here with that. Nothing wrong with a team wanting to represent the city it plays in.

bSLCtu2.png

portland_skyline.jpg

We already put it on our hockey jerseys a few years back...

w0akshz42hqescg22gr57vkoh.gif

Ha -- perfect.

Who knew that skylines would be the next great dividing line on CCSLC?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived