Florida Flags Project

raysox

Hello! This past weekend I was thinking about flags, and specifically good flags. Bold and striking flags that are recognizable, whether it was for a city, state, or country. Then I thought about Florida’s flag, which is pretty lame. I then started to think about a project where I created flags for Florida’s counties, just because I had an idea for one.

Turns out there is 67 counties.

So I will be making flags for all 67 counties following NAVA’s 5 keys to designing flags, and posting them on my blog. Each flag will be unique, and symbolic of the county.

I created a tumblr blog to keep the flags together, and will post pictures of the flags every week when I've filled a whole row(like the one you can see above!) Here is the blog, and I'd love do you to follow it if you have a tumblr.

tumblr_ncw2qoDC5r1u0y2k4o1_500.png

Flags and descriptions for Row 1

tumblr_nd1fg3o4ye1u0y2k4o2_500.png

Flags and descriptions for Row 2

tumblr_nd1mh83a471u0y2k4o3_500.png

Flags and descriptions for Row 3

tumblr_ndt0jmH0ru1u0y2k4o4_500.png

Flags and descriptions for Row 4

tumblr_nekpdeRpXY1u0y2k4o5_500.png

Flags and descriptions for Row 5

tumblr_neuqpsV8BB1u0y2k4o6_500.png

Flags and desriptions for Row 6

tumblr_nf0kao8SM61u0y2k4o6_500.png

Flags and descriptions for Row 7

tumblr_nfkrmtQge91u0y2k4o8_500.png

Flags and descriptions for Row 8

tumblr_ngaiyffvp51u0y2k4o7_500.png

Flags and descriptions for Row 9

tumblr_ngc8q8Jkst1u0y2k4o10_500.png
Flags and descriptions for Row 10

Damn it... I had the same idea for South Carolina a few months back, but never followed through with it. Either way, I'll definitely be following this!

Florida's flag is lame. No flag should have such a detailed seal... but if you remove the seal, you've got the flag of Alabama. Florida has such a rich and unique history - strong Native American influences and colonization/influence by multiple countries (Spain, France, Britain, America and the Confederacy), surely someone could've done better. "Florida" means "flowery land" in Spanish - you could even keep the red saltire on white field with a flower instead of the seal in the middle, a sort of Alabama/Hong Kong mashup. (I shudder to think what other, non-flag related Alabama/Hong Kong mashups would be like...)

The flags so far are clean and simple, nothing really to nitpick. The only suggestion I would add to the presentation is a simple map of Florida highlighting each county to give some geographical bearing. Keep it up!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I shudder to think what other, non-flag related Alabama/Hong Kong mashups would be like...

The action classic I Done Kicked This Guy What Wronged Muh Daddy

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Thanks guys, I set the queue to post a new flag at 630 every day. So if you want to keep updated without following, there's where you can check!

As far as florida's flag. I think that flags like Texas, Tennessee, or New Mexico are much better because they're recognizable without a seal saying what the flag represents.

Thanks guys, I set the queue to post a new flag at 630 every day. So if you want to keep updated without following, there's where you can check!

As far as florida's flag. I think that flags like Texas, Tennessee, or New Mexico are much better because they're recognizable without a seal saying what the flag represents.

I shudder to think what other, non-flag related Alabama/Hong Kong mashups would be like...

The action classic I Done Kicked This Guy What Wronged Muh Daddy

This is outstanding. +50.

I always felt it was regrettable how many states (and then it follows that counties and cities would follow suit) just place their seals onto primarily navy blue fields. I'll definitely be following this project.

Great idea. I've always been a vexillology nerd and have probably paid more attention to flags than most. i'm excited to see the rest of the series. After reading your first post, I was thinking about how difficult that would be for my home state - Louisiana. Reading your blog posts about each definitely confirm my thoughts about the difficulty of such an endeavor. Can't wait to see more.

gYH2mW9.png

FYI Georgia's flag IS the first Confederate States of America national flag. Just with their seal in the circle of stars. I also hate the fact that the Confederate battle flag is hated because of it's symbolism to racism. It's a beautiful flag aesthetically. Pretty much the reason I have the first national flag rather than the battle flag or any of the later ones. My ancestors fought and died for that flag and what it symbolized to them, which was not slavery or racism. They didn't even own a slave. Not trying to argue or debate this or anything right now. So let's just leave it at that.

Gotta say though. Citrus is definitely my favorite so far. Followed by Columbia and DeSoto. I feel Dixie and Calhoun look a little too similar however.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

really good stuff! Seeing enough hype over flags makes me want to share my imaginary country's flags and such.

There is only one slight gripe with them and that is that they are all 2:3 proportion. I feel that at least a few - Desoto comes to mind - would look better on a 1:2 (especially considering the waving flag renditions you have are of a 1:2, not a 2:3), or even a 10:19 like the US if you want to be slightly different.

That being said, they are all really clean and straight to the point with no seal bull crap, and still has your design language to them which I absolutely love - enough to make me comment on here, something I haven't done for some time.

These are all awesome, even though I was hoping for a Ray Finkle reference for Collier lol.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Week 2 is all posted!

tumblr_nd1fg3o4ye1u0y2k4o2_500.png

Charlotte | Citrus | Clay | Collier | Columbia | Desoto | Dixie

Another nice set. The last 4 are superior, IMO, to the first 3 in the group. I just think the thought process behind them and consideration of the county histories is stronger in those flags.

I would love to try something like this for Louisiana's parishes and may try it out after you've completed your series. Keep 'em coming. Loving it here!

gYH2mW9.png

Great work so far. I like your explanation for Dixie. Really liked Escambia; it made me wonder what Pensacola actually uses as a flag. Oh my god.

I hope you're going with "Miami-Dade" instead of skipping it altogether. Looking forward to that one!

PJU85JF.png

Archived