University of North Dakota Fighting Pike *UPDATE* FB Jerseys

hettinger_rl

I've always thought a Northern Pike would be a great team mascot and after my wife caught a 16lb-38in pike last weekend I decided to try to put the idea into practice. Because "northern pike" is kind of a clumsy name I did some research and discovered that pike are also called the "wolves of the water" so I shortened that to water wolves. I tried a lot of color palettes trying to incorporate green and settled on green, blue, and gray/silver.

For the primary I used the photos of her pike for details and the old zephyr Muskingum logo as pose reference:

2u7y9td.jpg

For the secondary/wordmark I took some inspiration from the Toledo Walleyes who have a hook inspired secondary. Many people use spoon lures to fish for pike and I drew out the name with several hook "serifs".

fyhes3.jpg29xssja.jpg

For some alternate logos I looked at photos of pike skulls and took cues from the secondary's Ws... I'm still playing with the Ws but there's a hint of it in the jerseys below.

v7hbma.jpg

Finally the jerseys are simple stripes and colors:

b5h8gj.jpg2nvfbky.jpg

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How dare you forget the Minnesota Fighting Pike of the AFL! :P

5654.gifu

I really like this though! Very clever idea using a lure, and love the hooks forming the W. Could also use a hook for the captain C! This might be some of the best I've seen from you yet.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Love the concept and the name, and I think you're primary illustration is great. I think your word mark could use a little work with legibility. I know you were probably going for a hand scrawled look but it effects how fast it reads for me. I also think your secondary mark doesn't quite tie in with your primary stylistically. Great job!

5654.gifu

I really like this though! Very clever idea using a lure, and love the hooks forming the W. Could also use a hook for the captain C! This might be some of the best I've seen from you yet.

I did know about the fighting pike. This logo is such a mix of good and bad, its a decent looking fish... but it looks more like a walleye than a pike (although some call them walleyed pike). It also has too much scale work... it would be cool to see ren69 re-work this.

Thanks for your comments.

Love the concept and the name, and I think you're primary illustration is great. I think your word mark could use a little work with legibility. I know you were probably going for a hand scrawled look but it effects how fast it reads for me. I also think your secondary mark doesn't quite tie in with your primary stylistically. Great job!

I will be re-working the script. Which are you referring to as secondary the spoon lure or the skull?

5654.gifu

I did know about the fighting pike. This logo is such a mix of good and bad, its a decent looking fish... but it looks more like a walleye than a pike (although some call them walleyed pike). It also has too much scale work... it would be cool to see ren69 re-work this.

Thanks for your comments.

I will be re-working the script. Which are you referring to as secondary the spoon lure or the skull?

I was referring to the skull illustration. I think the lure works nicely.

For the secondary/wordmark I took some inspiration from the Toledo Walleyes who have a hook inspired secondary. Many people use spoon lures to fish for pike and I drew out the name with several hook "serifs".

fyhes3.jpg29xssja.jpg

Update to the spoon/wordmark:

2ln8qkn.jpg

And an Double W:

21o4fgx.jpg2emlnoi.jpg

I like the closed mouth version better. I would stick with the lure and W hooks as secondaries.

Not a big fan of the added red/magenta. I like your original color palette.

It's Red, Dark Blue, And Dark Green; and thanks for input on the mouth..

I prefer the original lure word-mark a little more.

I felt that the letter "e" needed to be opened up a bit, but the quirky lettering had a nice underwater, liquid feel to it.

The primary is well done, and I agree with suplauren on the addition of the red.

The fish will always have a somewhat happy feel to it... because of the eyes.

The dark part of the eyeball (pupil and iris), touching the bottom "eyelid" will give you a happy look, regardless of what you do with the mouth.

If you want a more aggressive fish, "flip" the eye.

...But I think the original, closed-mouth version (with red fins) looks the best. Nice job.

I like...the pike!

The open mouth makes him look really happy. I like the red, but I don't like it in the outline

I prefer the original lure word-mark a little better.

I felt that the letter "e" needed to be opened up a bit, but the quirky lettering had a nice underwater, liquid feel to it.

The primary is well done, and I agree with suplauren on the addition of the red.

The dark part of the eyeball (pupil and iris), touching the bottom "eyelid" will give you a happy look, regardless of what you do with the mouth.

...But I think the original, closed-mouth version (with red fins) looks the best. Nice job.

I like...the pike!

So this one, whithout the red outline?

24got4o.jpg

The open mouth makes him look really happy. I like the red, but I don't like it in the outline

I prefer the original lure word-mark a little more.

I like...the pike!

So this one, whithout the red outline?

24got4o.jpg

Yeah...I'd have to see it on a sweater to see if the red outline is necessary. I'm guessing 'not'.

Archived