US State Flag Concepts (Mississippi & Wisconsin)

DolphinManatee

Hello. I'm here to post my concept of what I think the flag of Florida should look like.

My influences for the flag is the Cross of Burgundy (used when Florida was a part of the Spanish Empire and the Viceroyalty of New Spain) and my color choices were inspired by sunshine (as in the Sunshine State) and an orange (the state fruit and one thing Florida is known for):

320px-Flag_of_Cross_of_Burgundy.svg.png320px-Citrus_sinensis.jpg

In my initial 2 attempts, I just slapped a modified seal on an orange Cross of Burgundy. Then, when I was reading NAVA's 5 Basic Principles of Flag Design (thank you, raysox) it struck me, why not a sun instead of a seal on the flag? Then I designed a few more flags. Here are those first 4 attempts at making the flag (in order from top to bottom):

Flag_of_Florida_Concept_Attempts_zps2304

Lastly, I changed the sun to the lighter orange to add depth (it now looks like you're looking directly into a glass of orange juice the sun) and I made a new Cross of Burgundy (so it does not look like the one on Wikipedia uneven when hung sideways). And here is the final product:

Flag_of_Florida_Concept_zps09579b88.png

So leave any C&C if you want to. Thank you. :)

MiamiDolphinsStriping-1_zpsb1620a41.png

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like I've seen concepts quite similar to this before. (I'm not accusing you of plagiarism, though). It's a nice concept, but I don't like the use of two shades of orange so close to each other.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.'" - John 14:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

I like flags that are simple enough that a child can reproduce crude copies of them that are still recognizable. Flags like Ontario's current flag are way too complicated, but flags like Canada's have simple design elements, and can be easily reproduced to show one's national/state/local pride.

This would be a good design for the State of Florida's flag, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, thank you for the comments. I've decided to make more state flags. I have 10 flags made in addition to the flag of Florida that I am going to post each when I feel like I'm ready to post it. My goal is to make a better and more iconic flag than they have now (which what they have now is usually a seal/coat of arms on, in most cases, a plain blue backgound. So here we go...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is Pennsylvania. The keystone the in the middle because of the state commonwealth nickname and represents PA as the keystone of the 13 original colonies of the US (I think, don't quote me on this). The things that surround the keystone are the glowing tails/abstract representation of a glowing Pennsylvania firefly, the state insect. I remember during my occasional summer trips to the Lehigh Valley as a child there were fireflies at night, so this jumps out at me as something I should put on the flag. There are 13 fireflies to represent PA's status as one of the 13 original colonies of what is now known as the United States of America. So here is the flag:

Flag_of_PA_Concept_zps4c7b2a89.png

And this flag comes with maybe a somewhat dumb idea...

The fireflies on this flag glow in the dark! Maybe the keystone too.

So what do you think about the flag?

Nice and clean. Maybe the keystone is too blank - if I'm gonna try to find something wrong - maybe have the last 2 numbers of the year of statehood? I'm sure there is a highway of the same number but you never know :P

If that doesn't work, maybe shrink down the size of the firflies and keystone? I'm just looking for any possible issues though, but I think its just fine the way it is.

Nice and clean. Maybe the keystone is too blank - if I'm gonna try to find something wrong - maybe have the last 2 numbers of the year of statehood? I'm sure there is a highway of the same number but you never know :P

If that doesn't work, maybe shrink down the size of the firflies and keystone? I'm just looking for any possible issues though, but I think its just fine the way it is.

I'd go with all four perhaps.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Interesting concept; I never thought of using symbology like fireflies! The keystone could some color, though. Very cool overall!

Here's a concept that I developed long ago. Using the state colors, the blue bars represent Lake Erie in the west and the Delaware River in the east, with the gold representing the commonwealth's fertile land. And, like you, the keystone inside of 13 stars represent Pennsylvania's central role in forming our nation.

F5MeNrN.png

Similarly, here's a concept for the flag of the City of Philadelphia. I used the basic form of the current flag – 3 bars in Swedish colors – replacing the coat of arms with a keystone and 13 stars symbolizing the city's revolutionary heritage. And, of course, I included an obligatory Liberty Bell reference that distingushes the city's flag from that of the commonwealth.

rUGgBHe.png

Thank you for the feedback! I would consider putting the year of statehood if I knew what font would be appropriate to use here (Also I have not considered any typography for any of my other flags for similar reasons).

BroadSt_Bully, those are some great flags!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, here is New York. The blue represents the Atlantic Ocean (to the right and bottom) and the Great Lakes and waterways such as the Niagara River and the St. Lawrence River (to the top and left). The yellow/gold represents the wealth of the state, the orange represents the Dutch (the first European colonizer of what is now known as New York), and the purple represents the Iroquois (a historically prominent Native American confederation with people primarily in Upstate and Northern New York as well as Southern Ontario and Southern Québec). Here is the flag:

Flag_of_NY_Concept_zpsbca599b7.png

Any comments?

Surprised that a New Yorker liked it. I personally like it and as a Southern Ontarian, I understood all the colours right away. I originally felt that New Yorkers wouldnt like it because their current flag is one of the few I can easily decipher of the many blue field flags but I like the uniqueness this one holds while still being very simple.

Again, thank you all for the comments!

---------------------------------------------

These next 2 flags have the Doug flag in the canton for no reason other than it could represent the Pacific Northwest, I think. Washington has a silhouette of George Washington's head (that I traced from a quarter) on a green background. Oregon has a beaver (that I took from the back of their current flag and cleaned up) on a blue background. Here are Washington and Oregon:

Flag_of_WA_Concept_zpsfe3730f3.png

Flag_of_OR_Concept_zps74dfccb5.png

C&C please. Thank you.

Archived