The NBA's New TV Deal Includes Plans For Ads On Jerseys

Conrad.

:(

Sources involved in the discussions said the two networks will receive a cut of any team's jersey sponsorship deal that is signed by a national brand that would have bought time on ESPN or TNT's NBA game telecasts — think Coca-Cola or Samsung. The networks will either get a straight payout from the deal, or they will receive specific commitments from the sponsor to buy additional TV advertising during games, a network source said.

Sources familiar with the TV deals admit both networks pushed hard to be allowed to sell ads on team jerseys outright, but the league balked at handing over the potentially lucrative rights. Under the new TV deals, NBA teams maintain the rights to sell the jersey advertising, which has an estimated value ranging from around $800,000 for small-market teams like the Memphis Grizzlies to more than $10 million for large-market teams like the Los Angeles Lakers.

FULL STORY HERE: http://deadspin.com/the-nbas-new-tv-deal-includes-plans-for-ads-on-jerseys-1645725263?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Less then a million for the Grizzlies? Memphis is a small market and Marc Gasol and Z-Bo don't move the needle for many fans, but you'd think making the playoffs the past four seasons, along with the conference finals in 2013, would get the rights to being on your jersey into seven figures.

I will personally never buy a jersey with ads on it. I don't own any soccer jerseys because I don't want to be forced to show support for a company like McDonald's just because I want to support my team. I'll just wear team logo t-shirts once these go into effect.

Please, at least keep them off the retail versions!

Why would they do that? That's the whole point.

I thought the point was to have them shown on TV.

TV is good. All the promotional photos taken of high-profile players in their sponsored jerseys are better.

But the prospect of tens of thousands of fans wearing the sponsor name on replica jerseys? Not just at the arena but out and about, to schools and bars and playgrounds and malls and just walking down the street? That's where the real benefit is.

I will personally never buy a jersey with ads on it. I don't own any soccer jerseys because I don't want to be forced to show support for a company like McDonald's just because I want to support my team. I'll just wear team logo t-shirts once these go into effect.

I believe Rome might be the right city for you:

LAZIO-MAGLIA-GARA-SSL-M14.jpgAS+Roma+14-15+Home+Kit+%281%29.jpg

Or go with a national team.

--

This is a little weird decision by the NBA, as teams are already swimming in money. And the faucet just became a fire hose with the new TV deal. Most of the European sports teams are barely scraping by, so the choice is between competitive teams or clean shirts. Or in some cases, between amateur players and professionals.

But the NBA doesn't really need ads, the owners merely want them.

Your team(s) likely is a for profit enterprise, and if not that at least a revenue generating capitalist enterprise. I'm also willing to be that they already wear a visible manufacturer's logo on their jersey and by extension any replica jerseys that you may have purchased. Additionally I'd expect a t-shirt to have manufacturer logo placement as well.

I'm pretty ambivalent as the commercialization and sponsorship of sports dates back over a century. Granted may fans may have a breaking point where the commercialization becomes too intrusive and it affects their interest in the team.

I believe Rome might be the right city for you:

LAZIO-MAGLIA-GARA-SSL-M14.jpgAS+Roma+14-15+Home+Kit+%281%29.jpg

Or go with a national team.

--

This is a little weird decision by the NBA, as teams are already swimming in money. And the faucet just became a fire hose with the new TV deal. Most of the European sports teams are barely scraping by, so the choice is between competitive teams or clean shirts. Or in some cases, between amateur players and professionals.

But the NBA doesn't really need ads, the owners merely want them.

Even with the new TV money which is future revenue many of the newer owners in the league financed their purchases and have to service debt payments now. Uniform ads allow them to pay off these debts even faster. Unfortunately the mantra of leaving no revenue stream untapped that's polluted the corporate world for a couple decades has made its way into pro sports and possibly even more obnoxious.

It seemed inevitable. Well, time to go stock up on adless jerseys while you still can! I just hope this doesn't mean in15 years the Phoenix Capri-Suns play the Denver Chicken McNuggets.

Yeah, we were on borrowed time with the NBA. I'd expect the NHL to be, at most, one year behind. Then within 5 years for MLB and NFL.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Your team(s) likely is a for profit enterprise, and if not that at least a revenue generating capitalist enterprise. I'm also willing to be that they already wear a visible manufacturer's logo on their jersey and by extension any replica jerseys that you may have purchased. Additionally I'd expect a t-shirt to have manufacturer logo placement as well.

I'm pretty ambivalent as the commercialization and sponsorship of sports dates back over a century. Granted may fans may have a breaking point where the commercialization becomes too intrusive and it affects their interest in the team.

You really can't see the difference?

Archived