Emptiest stadiums?

Phils Phan

I remember going to a game in early 2004 where the Hurricanes hosted the Sabres. It was snowing, and the crowd was very sparse and overwhelming pro-Buffalo. I remember the announced crowd being something like 11,000... which was a ridiculous over-exaggeration. If it was more than half that, I'd be surprised.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen Tigers games in the last few years of Tiger Stadium that had about 12-16,000 in attendance.

Also, I've been to a lot of Fighting Falcons games over the past few years that had about 400-500 at McMorran Arena (a 3400-seat arena for hockey).

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

I can't post a pic because I'm in phone, but the Carolina Panthers' inaugural season (played at Clemson University) produced some small crowds, especially considering how big the stadium was.

As promised, here's a pic of Jets @ Panthers, 10/15/95 at Memorial Stadium in Clemson.

2628601365_38d7f46d20.jpg

Official attendance is 52,613 (in a stadium that held 80,000+). In fairness, this pic looks to have been taken in pre-game or halftime warmups, but it's still quite empty.

Interesting fact, this was also the Panthers' first ever win, and (thanks to a safety) featured fun scores such as CAR 3, NYJ 2; NYJ 5, CAR 3; and CAR 13, NYJ 12 en route to a 26-15 Panthers win.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

It wasn't. My dad and I had tickets, but decided not to go after the local weather said the roads would be bad getting home. It's ghastly leaving from Fedex when the weather's 55 and sunny, but 20-something and icy roads? Better hope you have some burgers leftover from your tailgate, because you ain't making it home for dinner. We made the choice at 10:30, and I had some regrets about it until gametime because they were nice seats. By 1:30, I thought it was the best decision I had made all year.

Although, there is a small part of me that wishes I went, just for morbid curiosity. Like the Wizards-Thunder game I almost went to five years back. That game was at the time, (and might still be) the game with the lowest combined winning percentage between both teams.

It wasn't. My dad and I had tickets, but decided not to go after the local weather said the roads would be bad getting home. It's ghastly leaving from Fedex when the weather's 55 and sunny, but 20-something and icy roads? Better hope you have some burgers leftover from your tailgate, because you ain't making it home for dinner. We made the choice at 10:30, and I had some regrets about it until gametime because they were nice seats. By 1:30, I thought it was the best decision I had made all year.

Although, there is a small part of me that wishes I went, just for morbid curiosity. Like the Wizards-Thunder game I almost went to five years back. That game was at the time, (and might still be) the game with the lowest combined winning percentage between both teams.

So did your tickets just go to waste or did you sell them/give them away?

I had a similar experience a few years ago. My dad and I were given tickets to a Bengals-Browns late December game in Cleveland in 2008. The Bengals were 3-11-1 at the time. The Browns were 4-10. It was under 10 degrees wind chill and Cleveland is stupid cold. 10 degrees there feels different from 10 degrees in other places.

We weren't that excited about driving four hours round trip, watching two terrible teams play a meaningless game, and sitting in the dumbass cold Cleveland weather. We looked at the weather and shook our heads. It looked like a lot of other people made the same decision as us.

The Bengals won that game 14-0.

PvO6ZWJ.png

There was another game like that three years earlier for the Redskins, against the Buccaneers. It was a memorable game on this end, largely because of a forgotten case of 5th down!

I jumped up after the fourth play in excitement because I was certain the Bucs had just won the game. I didn't see at all where the down marker got fouled up. Redskins score a would-be game-tying touchdown on the fifth play.

Then, the Redskins then botched the extra point, naturally, and the Bucs won anyway, but neither video I looked at had the extra point attempt in it.

EDIT - ok, here it is.

spacer.png

Chiefs vs. Redskins, 2013. FedEx Field was damn near empty thanks to an awful product and cold temperatures.

redskinsstadium120813.jpg

In addition to what you said, I'm sure the stadium had a higher turnout at the beginning, not after halftime.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Archived