2014-15 NCAA Basketball Thread: March Madness

LAWeaver

The USA Today Preseason Coaches poll has been released, which marks the unofficial start to the 2014-15 College Basketball season!

Rankings:

1. Kentucky

2. Arizona

3. Duke

4. Wisconsin

5. Kansas

6. North Carolina

7. Florida

8. Virginia

9. Louisville

10. Texas

11. Wichita State

12. Vilanova

13. Gonzaga

14. Iowa State

15. UConn

16. VCU

17. San Diego State

18. Michigan State

19. Oklahoma

20. Ohio State

21. Nebraska

22. SMU

23. Michigan

24. Syracuse

25. Iowa

.... Yeah, we know; this is probably the most useless preseason ranking ever invented. However, it still gives us some guidance as to who will be competitive for majority of the season.

Anyone have any predictions? I believe Kentucky, Virginia, and Texas will be out of the Top 25 by the time conference tournaments roll around, while the ACC, Big Ten, and Big XII will be competing for top conference in the country. But we all know someone like UCONN will end up winning the whole thing.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I predict that Louisville could win the ACC title in their first year in the conference with Wooden Award contender Montrezl Harrell leading the way. My Final Four would be Louisville, Wisconsin, Kentucky, and Arizona with the Cards taking home their 2nd championship in 3 years.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Where's Syracuse?

Anyway, I have tickets to the NCAA second/third rounds when it comes to Key Arena next year. Should be awesome.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I never thought I'd see the day when the Husker Men's hoops team gets ranked in the preseason. I really hope this team improves and doesn't blow it and rides the wave of momentum last year gave them. I also hope the vault only gets louder from here on out.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

As a Creighton fan, I hope Wichita State has a tough non-conference schedule, because they'll most likely cruise through conference play. Potential top-5 ranked team at the end of the regular season.

Well, here's the OoC schedule for Wichita:

-New Mexico State (WAC Champions, NCAA Tournament)

-Memphis (NCAA Tournament)

-Newman (Division II)

-Tulsa (NCAA Tournament)

-Utah (NIT)

-St. Louis (NCAA Tournament)

-Seton Hall

-Detroit

-Alabama

-Loyola Marymount

This doesn't scream 'Murderer's Row' here. In fact, it's might be quite weak in the back half.

As a Creighton fan, I hope Wichita State has a tough non-conference schedule, because they'll most likely cruise through conference play. Potential top-5 ranked team at the end of the regular season.

Well, here's the OoC schedule for Wichita:

-New Mexico State (WAC Champions, NCAA Tournament)

-Memphis (NCAA Tournament)

-Newman (Division II)

-Tulsa (NCAA Tournament)

-Utah (NIT)

-St. Louis (NCAA Tournament)

-Seton Hall

-Detroit

-Alabama

-Loyola Marymount

This doesn't scream 'Murderer's Row' here. In fact, it's might be quite weak in the back half.

I see the (slight) possibility of an upset coming from either NM State or STL.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Where's Syracuse?

Anyway, I have tickets to the NCAA second/third rounds when it comes to Key Arena next year. Should be awesome.

Are there tickets still available?

Yep. Starting at a stupidly high $250 or so, but they're on TicketMaster.

I found Syracuse - 24. Seems low.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm actually not that optimistic over Syracuse this year. I think all the losses of players the past couple of seasons are gonna catch up and it'll be a transition year to next year's stacked freshman class. I don't really wanna say rebuilding year because most programs would kill for a preseason top 25 ranking, probably a 5th or 6th place finish in the ACC, and likely still a 5-8 seed in the NCAA Tournament in a rebuilding year. Still not too happy we have to play Cal AGAIN this year, though.

Oh, and hopefully this year UConn doesn't pull off their possum crap once again.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

That's been the case for Syracuse the last few seasons, but they manage to have held a number one ranking for a couple of weeks, get a high tournament seed, and flame out badly in the sweet sixteen or elite eight. I expect more of the same this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I think to make the regular season mean something, the NCAA should limit the number of bids from each conference to six, and only eight teams should make the conference tournaments.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I think to make the regular season mean something, the NCAA should limit the number of bids from each conference to six, and only eight teams should make the conference tournaments.

All that does is hurt teams in good conferences.

Illinois is going to announce today that they'll be playing 5 home games in Springfield next year while the State Farm Center renovation is being completed.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Really think this is the Georgia team that could get in the tournament. Bringing back 4 of 5 starters and our top 3 off the bench. Brought in two good recruits, including one that we got over Michigan State and Indiana. I'm trying to keep expectations low, but I'm excited for this season.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

I never thought I'd see the day when the Husker Men's hoops team gets ranked in the preseason. I really hope this team improves and doesn't blow it and rides the wave of momentum last year gave them. I also hope the vault only gets louder from here on out.

From what I've seen, that is a program headed in the right direction. I would expect them in the top half of the Big Ten and in the tourney.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• 3 weeks later...

Your 2017-21 Final Four sites are...

2017: Phoenix

2018: San Antonio

2019: Minneapolis

2020: Atlanta

2021: Indianapolis

New Orleans, St. Louis, and shockingly North Texas lose out.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Archived