2014-15 NCAA Basketball Thread: March Madness

LAWeaver

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Looks at Final Four games*

Am I really going to have to cheer for Duke?

Just cheer for any team that's not Kentucky.

Hmmm....cry much lately? I was actually pulling for U of L today, and then I see posts by their fans like this and I amazes and it is rather sad.

spacer.png

Hmmm....cry much lately? I was actually pulling for U of L today, and then I see posts by their fans like this and I amazes and it is rather sad.
I didn't know that it's soooo sad to root against your arch rival.

Oh yeah and screw Duke and their flopping ways, hopefully they get the Iron fist of Tom Izzo in March. Gonzaga ruined their chances with the Butler rip-offs and the Adam Morrison sighting.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

This seems incredibly sensitive. It's just sports, man. It's just supposed to be fun.

IUe6Hvh.png

Duke/Gonzaga/UCLA/Utah all should have played in the Toyota Center.

The Stadium Formerly Known As Reliant is where offense goes to die.

This had the potential to be a nice regional if it was in a smaller building.

Well, this is their test run for next year's Final Four.

The Final Four winner, at least in recent times, is also a host for the preceding year's regional final. Unless things have changed, the host (whether it's Houston or Rice, or both) will stage a game during the season next year as another test run for the Final Four.

No domes for regionals from 2016-18.

I don't want to ruin the surprise but Kentucky just sent over their National Championship logo over to where I work. Pretty ballsy IMO considering we have nothing from the other three schools.

And that is why people hate Kentucky.

I don't want to ruin the surprise but Kentucky just sent over their National Championship logo over to where I work. Pretty ballsy IMO considering we have nothing from the other three schools.

Another reason I :censored: hate Kentucky and I hope Wisconsin kicks their butts!

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Shacka Smart leaving VCU for Texas.

A little surprised to be honest. I heard rumors that he wanted to leave but is Texas really that much of an upgrade over VCU? I mean your in a state where football is king and one of the toughest places to recruit in the country. Kansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, SMU as long as Larry Brown is there. Arkansas. Not an easy sell to get kids to go to Texas with those other options available. Plus your dealing with an alumni base that doesen't get why they can't be as good as Kansas so all that job security he had at VCU is out the window.

We'll what happens. From Texas' perspective its a slam dunk hire. Just don't fully understand the move from Shaka's perspective. Just hope he knows what he's doing.

Shaka turned down UCLA two seasons ago -- but he takes the Texas gig? :blink: I guess he couldn't squeeze another fat raise out of VCU this time around.

I'll miss seeing VCU in March though. I wish him luck though. He seems like a pretty likeable guy.

6uXNWAo.png

Shacka Smart leaving VCU for Texas.

A little surprised to be honest. I heard rumors that he wanted to leave but is Texas really that much of an upgrade over VCU? I mean your in a state where football is king and one of the toughest places to recruit in the country. Kansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, SMU as long as Larry Brown is there. Arkansas. Not an easy sell to get kids to go to Texas with those other options available. Plus your dealing with an alumni base that doesen't get why they can't be as good as Kansas so all that job security he had at VCU is out the window.

We'll what happens. From Texas' perspective its a slam dunk hire. Just don't fully understand the move from Shaka's perspective. Just hope he knows what he's doing.

Texas is a huge upgrade for Shaka.

Larry Brown isn't getting younger and coach in waiting, Tim Jankovich is going to face a program on probation. TCU isn't getting better, just like Houston.

Texas A&M has a top 5 recruiting class and former UNT coach Johnnie Jones is mining Texas for his team at LSU.

There is no reason for Texas NOT to get the state's best talent. Just go back three years and look at all players FROM Texas who are playing deep in the tournament or drafted who aren't playing FOR Texas.

Smart had to process what it will be like to work for Steve Patterson, as The Oregonian and John Canzano completely illustrated.

As for VCU, the last three coaches have earned Power 5 jobs, so it's an attractive gig. Heck, Anthony Grant is available to return.

Smart has turned down a couple of bigger gigs. He's from just outside of Madison and I was kinda hoping he was going to tread water at VCU until Bo Ryan retired.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Texas is a great move for Smart. They have the money and facilities where they should be a contender. And unlike most of the other football schools in that position, Texas is in a great recruiting area, it might even be the best right now. They're pumping out five star recruits like crazy (I know from watching us miss on a couple this year). I think he'll have a lot of job security there too. The good thing about being at a football first school is he won't have the same pressure as he would at UCLA or another basketball school.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Texas is a great move for Smart. They have the money and facilities where they should be a contender. And unlike most of the other football schools in that position, Texas is in a great recruiting area, it might even be the best right now. They're pumping out five star recruits like crazy (I know from watching us miss on a couple this year). I think he'll have a lot of job security there too. The good thing about being at a football first school is he won't have the same pressure as he would at UCLA or another basketball school.

There also is the issue of the replacement of the SuperDrum aka the Frank Erwin Center is getting closer. Its site will be home to the Dell Medical School. Patterson needs to raise at least $75M for the project, whose location is currently under review and could cost up to $400M with city and county contributions.

While Barnes is universally liked as a man and made the NCAA tournament 16 times in 17 seasons, his recent performance wasn't going to get most interested to cut Patterson any more checks.

Smart has turned down a couple of bigger gigs. He's from just outside of Madison and I was kinda hoping he was going to tread water at VCU until Bo Ryan retired.

That's what I figured would happen. After the big four which I consider to be Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and UNC I think Wisconsin at this point is in that next tier of jobs. Similar deal with Marquette as well which until recently was the team of Wisconsin. Either or would be a good fit.

It may still happen. How many years does Bo Ryan have left in him?

As for him at Texas again I think its one of if not the hardest area in the country to recruit just from a competition point of view. The talent is there but there's too much cannibalization going on there for I think any team to have a sustained run of success. Its been about 50 years since a Texas school won the National title and about 30 since one reached the title game.

Again we'll see what happens. I don't think he's going to fall flat on his face when he's there. But I'm not going to be surprised if does no better at Texas then he did at VCU even with the better facilities and the better conference.

Archived