Changes in the next 20 years

Phils Phan

I see a number of possible relocations:

- Jacksonville Jaguars relocate (maybe to London for how they keep shoving them over there)

- St. Louis Rams relocate back to L.A to become the L.A Rams again

- Florida Panthers relocate to Quebec City (Nordiques) Hamliton (Tigers) or possibly Seattle (Metropolitans)

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

The NFL will drastically reduce helmets or eliminate them altogether.

Hopefully... in my dream world they would get rid of all pads and the false security that comes with them.

This. I hate the idiot players on my team that believe they're "immune" to concussions when they lead with their head. I've been rocked quite a few times in practice by teammates leading head-first and crashing against mine. I'd rather not get a concussion thank you very much.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Here's one I can completely see happening: the MLS overtakes not the NHL, but the NBA in terms of popularity.

Oh and...the NFL cannibalizes itself.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Here's one I can completely see happening: the MLS overtakes not the NHL, but the NBA in terms of popularity.

Oh and...the NFL cannibalizes itself.

I'd say the NHL would be #5. But it could put the NBA at 4.

• MLB
    • Some how some way, the games will get back to the three hour mark
    • DH in both leagues
  • NFL
    • Really, who knows. It's going to be very interesting. All I know for sure is that it will look less like its current self than the others. No helmets? No pads? Incredibally strict rules that turn the bloodthirsty off? Gone? (seriously...are parents going to let their kids play it?)
  • NBA
    • No All Star game (nobody wants to host) or Vegas every year.
  • NHL
    • 20 years? Four All Star format changes
    • Less physical as sports other than football begin to think about head injuries.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• NFL screws itself over like always.

NHL will expand to Vegas (lelelelelel)

MLB will either eliminate or expand the DH rule

NBA keeps on feeding draft picks to "my star just left us now we're a piece of s***" teams

Do you guys think that every stadium will have naming rights? That they'll be ads on every playing surface? That all uniforms will have ads? That MLB and the NFL will have post seasons as big as the NBA and NHL? That teams will be wearing alternate uniforms to a college football rate?

These are the things I fear will happen, some reassurance one way or the other would be nice! :P Sometimes I wonder how much I wanna infest into my fandom if the leagues are becoming things I don't want them to be.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

Major League Soccer isn't even bigger than the Premier League in the US. They are absolutely not overtaking the NHL or NBA ($3 bil and $4 bil revenue, respectively)

1zgyd8w.jpg

In 20 years? I think they might very well challenge the NHL. Provided they don't screw it up.

You can't discount the demographic shifts. Plus 26 million Americans watched the World Cup Final, more than watched all five games of the Stanley Cup finals together.

If MLS can continue to draw the world's best players, increasingly in their prime, then it will absolutely challenge the bottom of the current Big Four.

I realize it's not a pro league, but in 20 years I can see FBS Football getting blown up quite a bit.

The major conferences will eventually merge / realign so that we're essentially left with a college sport that resembles the NFL to a degree - two "leagues" (AFC/NFC) made up of a few/handful of college conferences. For example, an East/West alignment might feature an Eastern Conference that's predominantly SEC/ACC teams while the Western Conference features Pac-12/Big Ten teams. The Big 12, although relatively stable today, still seems like the most likely candidate to be carved up just due to it's geographic disparity.

The top 40-80 teams will eventually work towards a 12-16 team playoff, just like the NFL.

Players get paid, schools are free to seek sponsorship and the league becomes even more of a television draw.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I don't think any of the P5 conferences will be cannibalized. Everybody points to the ACC and Big 12 as being vulnerable, but the ACC now has a Grant of Rights that makes it financially untenable to leave, and Texas and OU have no compelling reason to blow up the Big 12.

I do think that at some point down the road, the P5 will scoop up the few national programs that aren't in a P5 conference and then split from the NCAA.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I don't think any of the P5 conferences will be cannibalized. Everybody points to the ACC and Big 12 as being vulnerable, but the ACC now has a Grant of Rights that makes it financially untenable to leave, and Texas and OU have no compelling reason to blow up the Big 12.

I do think that at some point down the road, the P5 will scoop up the few national programs that aren't in a P5 conference and then split from the NCAA.

I agree, but I still think the Big 12 is more vulnerable than people think. No disrespect to the other teams, but it's basically the Texas-Oklahoma Conference at this point. The only other option would be if you could create a sixth conference (old Big East? C-USA?) made up of solid mid-majors like Boise State, East Carolina, Houston, etc. Then you could split them into a 3v3 alignment.

Essentially, with the new CFB Playoff, we're already at the point where we have 4 conference champs playing for a shot at the national title. Yes, I realize that not all four spots are auto-bids to conference champs, but it wouldn't surprise me if things naturally gravitated that way. Effectively, the conference championship games become like the first round of a playoff.

------------------------------

In other sports, it would not surprise me to see sponsorship grow. If not on uniforms, on parts of the field. We currently sponsor stadiums and fields, but I can see a future where an MLB batter gets walked to the Coca-Cola First Base and then steals the Microsoft Second Base. Or a kicker nails a field goal between the Wal-Mart and Facebook goalposts. Could easily happen.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived