Which FCS/Mid-Major school has the best brand?

Brave-Bird 08

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kennesaw State is beautiful, especially for an adidias school.

I nominate Harvard:480100835_90880495.jpg192020_harvard-dartmouth-football-9.jpg.

Harvard is BFBS since Amaker was hired and it now makes them a $hitshow.

Harvard Athletics does not need an identity/brand because THEY ARE HARVARD!

People will go to the bookstores, official or not, and buy a tee or sweatshirt because it is what it is.

Harvard uniforms should bleed crimson.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Are we talking logo identity or name recognition?

If by name recognition, it's clearly Boise State.

Boise's visual brand is also excellent. Joe Bosack (IIRC) managed to create a really strong horse-head logo that looks nothing like Denver's despite the same name and a similar color scheme. The blue turf and all-blue uniforms are iconic, in that you know who's playing immediately before you can even see the scoreboard. The recent inclusion of grey also helps separate Boise from the Florida Gators visually.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I nominate Harvard:

480100835_90880495.jpg192020_harvard-dartmouth-football-9.jpg.

People will go to the bookstores, official or not, and buy a tee or sweatshirt because it is what it is.

I feel like I just read a Phils Phan post.

FTFY (only came here to post this)

I'll nominate the University of Maine. Strong, identifiable brand. Extra credit for the amazingly consistent colors and logos.

I know there are no purple and gold tigers (LSU) or light blue and silver lions (Detroit) or maroon leopards (Lafayette), but a team named the BLACK Bears should probably have some black in its color scheme.

That said, I do like Maine's look a lot. I just think it would work better if you swapped the navy for black.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Are we talking logo identity or name recognition?

If by name recognition, it's clearly Boise State.

Boise's visual brand is also excellent. Joe Bosack (IIRC) managed to create a really strong horse-head logo that looks nothing like Denver's despite the same name and a similar color scheme. The blue turf and all-blue uniforms are iconic, in that you know who's playing immediately before you can even see the scoreboard. The recent inclusion of grey also helps separate Boise from the Florida Gators visually.

I agree with everything you said except the grey. I feel like it doesn't contrast enough with the lighter blue and the orange. And I don't think they need to worry about separating themselves from Florida. They share the same colors, but they're on opposite sides of the country and are in conferences that don't play each other with any regularity.

Maine's "amazingly consistent colors" are not so consistent. Having never seen any of their athletic teams play, I always assumed their colors were black and light blue, based on the primary logo, which features no navy. That bear head is pretty bad, too, it almost looks like a gopher. I do really like that "Maine" script if it were cleaned up a little.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Wisconsin Whitewater

wisconsin-whitewater-121913.jpg?itok=R8m

532ae28d8e465.image.jpg

b99278771z.1_20140527145241_000_gou6csnp

As much as I'd love to co-sign to this, I have to disagree. Not only are they not D1, but they don't even have the best brand in their conference... UW-La Crosse does.

2509966_mktg_logo.png

Wisconsin Whitewater

Not FCS or Mid-Major.

I know, but I thought they should at least be mentioned. They have a very underrated uniform set.

As much as I'd love to co-sign to this, I have to disagree. Not only are they not D1, but they don't even have the best brand in their conference... UW-La Crosse does.

2509966_mktg_logo.png

Not only is the logo nice, but La Crosse's uniforms might be even better than Whitewater's. I think a lot of Division lll schools have better uniforms than a lot of Division l schools.

I nominate Harvard:

480100835_90880495.jpg192020_harvard-dartmouth-football-9.jpg.

I feel like I just read an hbgoo post.

Uhm Harvard has been using black apart of its jerseys and/or helmets since the 50's in football (if not further?) and its been a supporting color of their palette for as long as I can find. So they don't really classify as BFBS.

I think, hopefully, he was singling out Harvard Basketball with the mention of Tommy Amaker.

Like you said, Harvard football has used black for over a half century, and it works will. I wouldn't consider Harvard a BFBS school in the slightest, dfwiarhbal. 97% of their merchandise is crimson based, and almost exclusively uses black as an outline on white text. All of the branding for buildings and signage around here is dominated by crimson. Black is used in moderation, and quite well IMHO.

Archived