School Logo: Finalized(?), Logo Progression, August 25

davidmiller5

I didn't change anything with the outlines, but I wanted to at least work on the positioning of the logo. The first logo is the entire logo rotated:

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-30%20at%209.17.4

Then, I tried a version in which I tilted the chin back closer to the neck (and made his horn closer to perpendicular).

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-30%20at%209.29.2

I think I prefer the second one. What do you think? (I now notice that the base of the horn could use some cleaning up; something must have happened when I rotated the face.

This is starting to come together. Not sure if that green outline is really necessary, I would make the line weight of the blue outline the same as the white. Right now it's just too thin & makes it look unbalanced. I would also try making the eye brow thicker as well as the ear & horn lines. Good luck!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks a lot for the encouragement, Ren. It means a lot coming from you. For this version, I got rid of the green outline. I didn't do anything with the horn detail, but I did thicken up the ear and made the brow a bit larger. I can see why the thin ear lines bothered you, but I'm afraid the ear draws too much attention. What do you think?

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-31%20at%2010.20.

I made the changes on the ram whose horn is perpendicular to the ground (or text below it, etc). Does it still look like it is bowing? Should I go with one of the versions with the head tilted slightly upwards?

award%20sig.png

Looks better without the green outline & the thicker blue IMO. The bowing appearance I think is coming from the way the eye & ear are positioned that seem to give it a looking down feel. Let me check out some ram references in regards to the eyes & ear.

Did a quick search & first thing I noticed was that when a ram is charging his ear is pointed back, yours is going forward & the eye is more centered, also I think if you leave out that white line in the pupil it will better convey looking forward instead of down.

Wow, I was going to get back almost right after Ren posted his suggestions, but then life got in the way.

Maybe continue the white outline of the body inside horn to show the back of the head?

I tried it, and it just made the logo too cluttered. Technically, the neck/head shouldn't include all the area inside the horn, but for the logo, complete realism in this area just doesn't work.

Looks better without the green outline & the thicker blue IMO. The bowing appearance I think is coming from the way the eye & ear are positioned that seem to give it a looking down feel. Let me check out some ram references in regards to the eyes & ear.

Did a quick search & first thing I noticed was that when a ram is charging his ear is pointed back, yours is going forward & the eye is more centered, also I think if you leave out that white line in the pupil it will better convey looking forward instead of down.

Thanks for more suggestions. In my main reference picture the ram's ear was going out, and actually forward a bit, but I see that that is an unusual look after seeing more pictures. I tried rotating my ear around, and it looked absolutely terrible. I ended up doing a quick version in which I completely redraw the ear (see third version).

You are right about the eye looking down not being a good idea. I don't know why I put the pupil at the bottom of the eye; if he is charging, he would be looking forward instead of down.

I took screenshots of some different things I have, because I'm not sure how much I like any of them.

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-03%20at%208.49.5

For this version I moved the pupil up and removed the white line in it, as Ren suggested. To me the eye looks lifeless. I left the ear alone.

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-03%20at%208.48.2

For this version, I added the white line back into the eye: I actually made the pupil line thicker. This is an abstract ear. Do you like this better than a full ear?

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-03%20at%209.20.4

This version features a brand new ear. Is this better? Should I take the basic idea but tweak it somehow? I also narrowed the pupil. I wonder if the ram looks bored, so I tried narrowing the eyeball to see if that helped. I'm not sure that it did. Are others getting the feeling that the ram is bored? (Also, is he still bowing?)

So, I'm obviously unsure of what to implement. What should I do with the eye and the ear. If you have any other suggestions, don't be shy.

award%20sig.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ren pointed out that there are some aspects of the logo that resemble St. Louis's logo too closely, and he very graciously helped me out and even sketched out what he would do with the logo. I think it would be foolish not to take his advice since he is so much better at designing logos than I am. So here is the Ren-afied logo:

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-20%20at%207.40.5Screen%20Shot%202015-03-20%20at%207.38.0

I want to get this logo finished up soon. What do you think of the changes? If you look closely, you will see that almost every element except the overall shape has been modified. My biggest questions are with the ear and eye. What do you think?

(Thanks again, Ren, for all your help.)

award%20sig.png

True it is getting better, but I hate the filled space inside the ram horn, it just seems weird, as if that's part of the head.

I'll try it out again, but when I tried it earlier it was looking really odd with a small gap in the logo. Since then I have repositioned the neck and moved the ear, so there is a larger area that seems out of place. It still leaves the issue of what to do with the outlines, etc., though.

award%20sig.png

I really like it but the eye looks a little too big.

"You play to win the game...Hello. You play to win the game." - Herman Edwards

"We talkin' bout practice?" - A.I.

"What’s that? Ah — playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game." - Jim Mora

Thecargeek is right. The area in the horn looks super weird. Here's a redline showing the problem:

eOQUyHN.png

The red line shows how the natural curve of the neck would go. with the ear where it is and the high arc of the horn, it's really confusing looking. Here are some images I found showing some ways you may be able to edit it to make the point come across. It will probably also help to differentiate from the St Louis Rams, as they have a blue blob under the horn too.

8qjo3LK.png

Ok, here is an update with what you wanted. What do you think? To me, it makes the area inside the horn too busy and I think it draws the eye too much.

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-24%20at%209.15.1

I also tried a version in which I only made a white stripe that matches the white outline of the rest of the logo.

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-24%20at%209.16.1

award%20sig.png

It's the eye for me. The horn enclosure didn't bother me because there's another horn on the other side of its head that would likely fill that space in shadow.

Rotate the eye 10-20 degrees to the right, shrink it by 15-25%, and nudge it down.

Right now, the eye itself is in the spot that the brow itself should be.

It's the eye for me. The horn enclosure didn't bother me because there's another horn on the other side of its head that would likely fill that space in shadow.

Rotate the eye 10-20 degrees to the right, shrink it by 15-25%, and nudge it down.

Right now, the eye itself is in the spot that the brow itself should be.

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-25%20at%208.32.1

Eye area is smaller and has been rotated 10ª. I thought it fit the contour of the face and brow.

I was a little confused by your comment about the brow. I have already depicted the horn base (which I would call the brow). I made the horn gray in this version to show it a bit more clearly. The eye is right below the brow/horn base on real rams; I think I actually lowered it a bit on the previous logo so that it wasn't anatomically correct. I did move the eye away from the brow a bit in this version.

What do you think of this eye?

award%20sig.png

I like this one but you are not having it connect to the right place on the top of the head. Notice on the redline I posted where the line ends near the top of the head, that is closer to where you should be. Imagine what the head and neck would look like without the horn, that is what the line should look like.

I respectfully disagree on head shape. In some reference pictures I looked up, the I don't think the head slopes down like you represent. When a ram is charging, it bends around. I did try to imagine the head and neck area without the horn; I think the head/neck area does extend beyond the base of the horn.

award%20sig.png

I agree with suplauren. Maybe just try his red line head curve to see how it looks. I think you will be surprised how good it will look. When I looked at your reference photo my eyes saw his red line curve (with a little backside horn). If you try it and it doesn't work, no big deal.

Archived