School Logo: Finalized(?), Logo Progression, August 25

davidmiller5

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This concept is improving. I agree with previous comment on removing the back horn. It will make it a cleaner perspective. Here's a thought . Use a sharp angle balloon tool and put it at the front end to depict impact. Kinda like the Adam West Batman series of the 60's. Biff, Bonk,Thwack, Crash, Maybe we will knock it out of the park.

Here are a few options where I lose the back horn. What do you think?

ScreenShot2014-11-11at102744PM.png

ScreenShot2014-11-11at103624PM.png

(this one isn't cleaned up, but you should be able to get the idea)

Do you like the gray outline around the horn? Should it be modified to look more like shading? (If so, what's the best way to do this in Illustrator?)

award%20sig.png

First one. Do you have a way to create a jagged balloon shape in front of the horns. I want to see what this would look like. Rounded horn is very similar to St. Louis Rams. I don't know if it will be any better just wanted to try something a bit different.

Gosh, it's hard to pull this off without veering into St. Louis Rams territory. Wish I had suggestions. :-\

Yeah, I've been trying to keep differences, but it seems like every tweak brings it closer to their logo. I guess that's what can tend to happen when professionals work on a logo. They tend to get a lot of it right. (For example, I tried going with a different mouth shape, but it just wasn't nearly as good as theirs. Same with the one horn deal. I wanted the second horn because it would be different from St. Louis, but it probably doesn't look as good.)

First one. Do you have a way to create a jagged balloon shape in front of the horns. I want to see what this would look like. Rounded horn is very similar to St. Louis Rams. I don't know if it will be any better just wanted to try something a bit different.

I'm not exactly sure what you are suggesting. Are you wanting me to add an impact shape in front of the horn (like '60s Batman which you referenced earlier)? I don't think I will add any impact ripples, balloon with "Pow" in it, etc. because this is an athletic logo, and I don't think that would convey that image very well.

----------------------------------------

Here are some updates. I added a curve to the top of the neck, and I think it helps him look better (more muscular). I also thickened up the top line of the ear.

Someone suggested I try making the horn gray, so I switched the colors. I'm not sure if I like it or not. What do you think?

ScreenShot2014-11-12at95506PM.png

ScreenShot2014-11-13at100552AM.png

award%20sig.png

I was sketching out some ideas that I came up with and a different thought came to mind. My original thought was one with an impact balloon without wording in front of the horns on your ram's head logo. My new thought is use two ram's horns butting together with impact balloon(no wording) overlaying or maybe in the background of the butting heads. As I drew it out I was aiming for symmetry in the logo.

I will try to explain my thought rather than draw it out. That is a no no unless given permission by the creator of the thread. 1st layer Use your logo Gray/White (your choice) Ram horn only no face or shoulder, 2nd layer Use White/Gray detailing (your choice), Combine Layers 1 and 2. Use Navy stroke on this single layer. (You can play around with the thickness of the stroke and see what you like). You may also want to tinker with the rotation of the horn logo. Get that where you want it and duplicate the layer, then flip the layer horizontal and mess around with how far apart you want the spacing between the two symmetrical horns. At this point you may start to see a resemblance to the Saints Fleur de lis logo. Click here to get one idea for impact logo. Very Seattle Mariner-like without the beveled edges. Click here for a different approach. This is Steeler-like only use 1 of the 4 sided stars. Click here for one more idea. Star of Bethlehem-like. These were my thoughts but you can explore other options of your own. Once you have decided on the look of the Impact logo create it on a new layer, keeping in mind that the line of symmetry will be the vertical center of the impact logo. Mess around with colors of the impact logo as well as the thickness and color of a stroke if desired. After impact logo is created play around with the size and its orientation in front of or behind the butting ram horns. When you like what you have combine Horns and impact logo into 1 layer and stroke the entire layer with light blue or gray.(Whatever color adds contrast to a helmet color background color.) Just a note I tried doing the same thing with the original logo (face included no neck) and it looked like a butterfly. I didn't like it but you might. I am curious to your take on this idea and would love to see you post it for comments. If you don't like it that's fine. Just putting in my 2 cents worth. I do see the big improvement in the current concept. Keep working at it. Being creative is hard work.

Have you done a version without any gray in it?

I have tried it but I don't really like it. Here is a version replacing all the gray with Columbia blue:

ScreenShot2014-11-15at101233AM.png

I also don't know that the light blue will be the color it will end up being. Right now our school colors are navy, white, and gray. We are looking at adding another tertiary color, but it could be either this light blue or kelly green. Here is an option with a lightened gray and kelly green outline:

ScreenShot2014-11-15at101423AM.png

(Sorry that the little compass symbol is on the screenshot.)

award%20sig.png

Archived