Browns 15' Uniforms 360 Concept

JH360

First up, the helmets. I think the orange matte finish is so much better than the current orange gloss. Always felt the current helmets are a little garish. I went with a wider white stripe and thinned the brown stripes; paying homage to the original single white stripe helmet of the 50's Browns. Orange facemask just worked to me. It's different and appropiate. If orange is your team color, own it and go all in. Went with a grey strap here even though NFL rules allow only white. I'm a painter not a designer so forgive any technical issues. I'm basically sketching here. But I'd appreciate any thoughts and criticsm. Full uniforms to add soon.

BROWNS360.jpg

BROWNS3601.jpg

BROWNS360back.jpgBROWNS360front.jpg

Initial thoughts:

I like the helmet, although my first reaction to the orange color was that it reminded me of the Texas Longhorn burnt orange. I would also like to see a few helmets with different facemasks (like white, black, etc) so we can the contrasting styles. I am not a chrome fan, as IMO it is just a fad that will be gone within 5-10 years and look very dated, similar to the teal craze of the 90's.

I also like that you didn't put that hideous pixie on the helmet, or worse, the bulldog. I would like to see the Browns come up with a logo, however it should NEVER go on the helmet. I just think it would be nice if Cleveland's logo was something other than an orange football helmet, especially when it is seen with the other 31 teams. It isn't aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.

I hate their uniforms, but I do respect their tradition. So, the only thing I ever want to see on the side of their helmet is the player's number. But that is only if someone HAS to see something on the helmet.

I would keep the facemask orange. If you are going to change it, it should be gray or brown. I also would avoid a chrome finish on the facemask.

Is it possible to have a matte finish on the shell, and a high gloss finish on the stripes? I believe the Jaguars achieved this look with their black and gold helmet. I'm not sure how well this contrast would come across through digital concepts.

Initial thoughts:

I like the helmet, although my first reaction to the orange color was that it reminded me of the Texas Longhorn burnt orange. I would also like to see a few helmets with different facemasks (like white, black, etc) so we can the contrasting styles. I am not a chrome fan, as IMO it is just a fad that will be gone within 5-10 years and look very dated, similar to the teal craze of the 90's.

I also like that you didn't put that hideous pixie on the helmet, or worse, the bulldog. I would like to see the Browns come up with a logo, however it should NEVER go on the helmet. I just think it would be nice if Cleveland's logo was something other than an orange football helmet, especially when it is seen with the other 31 teams. It isn't aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.

I hate their uniforms, but I do respect their tradition. So, the only thing I ever want to see on the side of their helmet is the player's number. But that is only if someone HAS to see something on the helmet.

I see that and I like the Texas orange. Definitely prefer that to the rumored candy orange.

Thanks upper.

CLEstones - Not a big fan of glossing the stripes.

Did a test to try different facemasks. Went with flat colors instead of the chrome. I don't think white worked. But I have to admit I think the grey looks better.

orange_mask_test.jpg

grey_mask_test.jpg

A gray facemask has always looked better for the Browns, at least better than white. I'm curious to see the rest of the uniform and how it has changed from their current set.

Thanks for the different facemasks. I have to go with gray over orange if those were my choices.

I had not heard they were thinking of using candy orange. That is awful. And like you, I like the burnt orange of Texas, so these helmets work just fine for me.

do you have an example of what the candy orange they are thinking about would look like? I'd be interested to see the shade of what they are thinking about.

And I agree... Your presentation is fabulous. I'd be interested to see your creative process. If you ever have the time and desire, I'd love to see a youtube video of how you do this.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the different facemasks. I have to go with gray over orange if those were my choices.

I had not heard they were thinking of using candy orange. That is awful. And like you, I like the burnt orange of Texas, so these helmets work just fine for me.

do you have an example of what the candy orange they are thinking about would look like? I'd be interested to see the shade of what they are thinking about.

And I agree... Your presentation is fabulous. I'd be interested to see your creative process. If you ever have the time and desire, I'd love to see a youtube video of how you do this.

I believe this is close to the rumored orange.

IMG_3430-580x387.jpg

My process? Photoshop is an incredible program. I'm basicaly just creating a collage. A lot of experimention, trial and error. It would be a long boring video. I've been retooling the uniform designs and I'm about 90% done. I'll post when I get it.

Ready to test. Stayed with the orange facemask. The grey masks are basically meant to be invisible unless the same color grey is incorporated into the uniform. And I went away from any grey trimming to match the masks. I felt the orange is just much bolder.

The pant striping is based off Under Armor's Shamrock series Notre Dame uniforms. It's a unique pant design and I think it fits. I've been looking for a different type of pant striping then the norm. My intial design had a triangle meant to look something like a dog canine, starting on the side of the jersey and ending down the pant leg. I loved it but it apparently wasn't liked all that much. These stripes here are subtle but really stand out on the field. To see what this pant design looks like on the field, check out: http://youtu.be/tEgYzjvrtvw

I don't want to say too much, I'd rather hear how these designs are interpreted without any reasoning first. So feel free to give your thoughts, good or bad, long or short, or any changes you'd like to see. I've got 6 sets in all. Without further ado....

The home uniforms:

Home_Uniform_All_Brown_Front.jpg

Home_Uniform_All_Brown_Rear.jpg

Home_Uniform_All_Brown_Side.jpg

It doesn't feel like the Browns. It looks like one of those uniforms that Nike does for colleges that has nothing to do with their current look. You modified the helmet stripe, which looks good, but then that's the last spot white is found on the uniform. There is no cohesion to the uniform. You have a modified helmet stripe, then a Minnesota Vikings inspired sleeve stripe, then an ultra-modern wedge in the front of the pants. Not only does it not look like the Browns... it doesn't look like a uniform.

I think you need to find a way to incorporate white/orange/brown in all the uniforms. I also would look into having some sort of consistency. Either match the helmet stripe in 1 other place (pants or sleeve), or find a way to make the different pieces match.

Adding just a white swath on the pants doesn't address the inconsistency. The helmet has a thick white stripe, surrounded by a thin brown stripe. The pants have just a random white swath on them. The shoulders have a thin brown stripe, surrounded by 2 thicker orange stripes in a swooping shape. The jersey is brown and orange, the pants are orange and white. Its disjointed.

Adding just a white swath on the pants doesn't address the inconsistency. The helmet has a thick white stripe, surrounded by a thin brown stripe. The pants have just a random white swath on them. The shoulders have a thin brown stripe, surrounded by 2 thicker orange stripes in a swooping shape. The jersey is brown and orange, the pants are orange and white. Its disjointed.

All the sets are already finished. This isn't in response to your reply. I just didn't want to drop them all at once. But I like your feedback.

It doesn't feel like the Browns. It looks like one of those uniforms that Nike does for colleges that has nothing to do with their current look. You modified the helmet stripe, which looks good, but then that's the last spot white is found on the uniform. There is no cohesion to the uniform. You have a modified helmet stripe, then a Minnesota Vikings inspired sleeve stripe, then an ultra-modern wedge in the front of the pants. Not only does it not look like the Browns... it doesn't look like a uniform.

I think you need to find a way to incorporate white/orange/brown in all the uniforms. I also would look into having some sort of consistency. Either match the helmet stripe in 1 other place (pants or sleeve), or find a way to make the different pieces match.

I'd argue what makes it the Browns are the colors and especially the helmet. The helmet is really the identfying thing about the Browns. The uniform is kind of just collateral. So I wanted something modern but also simple; bare bones. About it being disjointed or not cohesive... I don't mind something that accentuates the helmet stripe or makes it stand out. There likely would be a little more white in there as many players wear short white socks over the colored. But for presentation I wanted only the full brown sock shown. As far as it not looking like a uniform...The first home set ended up looking like a cross between WVU's uniforms and the aforementioned ND one offs. Which I think are both really beautiful uniforms.

New_West_Virginia_Football_Uniforms_Home1410658768002_10_Purdue_ND_is.jpgPurdue_Notre_Dame_Football_2.jpg

the orange mask is a bit too loud i think. whatever other color you make it (brown, white, gray) will be much easier on the eyes. the stripe is fine, im not sure if altering the one identifiable thing about their identity is the best way to go, but if you're going that way i'd like to see some repetition of it in other pieces of the uniform. for example, you could stroke the numbers the same way.

each piece of the uniform has a different stripe and no real unity between them. on the road uni, the stripes are all different colors which makes it even more visually disjointed. just bring some of that helmet stripe into either the jersey or pants (or both?) and you'll have some repetition and unity.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived