NASL Canada (Winnipeg added)

nas1787

As I’m sure all of you know (because you follow Canadian domestic soccer league news as closely as I do) there has been some recent rumbling of the North American Soccer League joining up with the Canadian Soccer Association and Canadian Football League to start an all-Canadian domestic soccer league. I won’t bore you with too many of the details, but if you’re interested you can read more here:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/24th-minute/csa-cfl-and-nasl-to-launch-canadian-league-r4701

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/expansion-target-hartford-27323/

From the stuff I’ve read, the rumours are that both of the current Canadian NASL clubs (Edmonton and Ottawa) would be in, and would be joined by 5 other clubs owned by CFL owners. The Argos, due to their ownership and stadium issues, are out. Apparently the Lions and Alouettes are considering clubs in Victoria and Quebec City respectively, in order to avoid the Whitecaps and Impact. It’s unclear what other CFL team is out to take the league total down to 7, so for this series, we’ll have a nice balanced 8-team league.

Without further ado, here are my ideas for NASL Canada.

kHSHbvL.png

iJ3QsOk.png

Victoria Lions SC

FC Edmonton

Calgary Owls SC

Saskatchewan Royals

Winnipeg Gateway FC

Hamilton Stags FC

Ottawa Fury FC

Voyageurs du Quebec

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calgary Owls SC

First up, the Owls. I borrowed this idea from my previous Canadian Soccer Pyramid concept series, but updated a bit. I wanted each team to have a unique colour scheme, so the red, black and white of the Stampeders wasn't going to work. I took the Owls back to the Stamps previous colours of red, black and silver, adding the bevel effect to the Owls crest.

The secondary features the clubs initials, and the word Onward. This is the city of Calgary's motto, and was adopted as the club's motto as well. The cowboy hat is straight from the city's flag.

The primary kit is red with silver shorts, and features an interlocking C pattern sublimated on the shirt. The clash kit is straight white with some silver stripes across the chest. The kits' numbers feature a similar bevel as that found on the crest.

j7kmLre.png

KQpJDaH.png

this is a very good start to the series. Spot on with your primary logo, and simple and effective color scheme. There are two things that I don't really like (if you don't mind me saying this)... number one is the C pattern on the home jersey, either remove it completely or try and make it less visible. Number two is secondary logo... I read it COWARD SC :P ... I would make secondary using team's full name as you don't have it in your primary. I like using city's motto as a team motto and I think you should keep that.

CgWPTYS.jpgaPH2PVF.jpg

this is a very good start to the series. Spot on with your primary logo, and simple and effective color scheme. There are two things that I don't really like (if you don't mind me saying this)... number one is the C pattern on the home jersey, either remove it completely or try and make it less visible. Number two is secondary logo... I read it COWARD SC :P ... I would make secondary using team's full name as you don't have it in your primary. I like using city's motto as a team motto and I think you should keep that.

Thanks steve. I can't say I'm in love with the sublimated C pattern myself. And you're right about the full name not being in either the primary or secondary. Let me think about how I might update the secondary. The full club name, and the motto might be a bit too much wording for one logo.

Based on raysox's feedback, I think the update below is what he was getting at for the beveled C. Let me know if it's an upgrade or not.

3MtNmqV.png

Hi nas...I like what you've done so far.

The league logo is really sharp, and the bevelled "C" Owls logo is pretty nice as well.

My only problem is with the red colour of the Calgary concept.

It's coming across on my screen as looking a little faded.

I think if you made it a tad deeper it would really set off the grey and white of the Owls.

Great start...looking forward to the rest.

FC Edmonton

Next up, the Eddies. I wanted to keep the idea of their current logo, but give it a bit of an updating. The secondary is a white rabbit. There has been a couple of sightings of rabbits at Clark Stadium over the years, always followed by an FCE victory.

The primary kit plays on the checker pattern of the crest, while the clash kit has a pinstripe pattern. Calgary and Edmonton are the only two clubs featuring adidas. These are also the only 2 concepts based on previous ideas, it's all original from here on out.

mSP7cbm.png

O2Jf2Kt.png

Really great work here, nas.

Your second attempt at the beveling on the C looks much better. I also think the C pattern on the home shirt is a little much. Maybe contain it within a stripe about the same size as the striping pattern on the clash.

FC Edmonton is a really solid look. I like the sublimated checkers and the Orlando Magic-esque pinstripes. I like BigRed's idea to work the rabbit into the crest. Maybe you could get rid of the soccer ball and add the rabbit in its place.

As an aside, your presentation is great. Other than the odd lack of hands, I love your action template. Looking forward to seeing this series play out!

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. I agree that the FCE crest is pretty generic, but I was trying to keep all the main elements of their current crest. I do like the idea of using the rabbit in place of the ball (I've never liked soccer balls in crests myself), I'll give that a try. I'll also see what can be done about Calgary's sublimated shirt pattern.

Hi nas...so far both Calgary and Edmonton are top notch mate. Really like what you have done with the Calgary Owls kit and crest. As for the FC Edmonton kit and crest, why ruin a good thing. I think they have a good kit and crest to begin with. Looking forward to the rest of this series. I would love to see NASL Canada get off the ground. BTW...love that template you are using, very professional.

But I think the Victoria based club will most likely a current Victoria football club that will take that spot and be runned under the BC Lions umbrella. They are the USL PDL based Victoria Highlanders FC, have been existence for over six years now with an average home attendance of 1700 over those six seasons. VHFC has been talking about moving up in the pyramid for a couple season now (USL PRO or NASL). I think this would be a good fit for them and for the city of Victoria. Just a speculation from my involvement with the club supporters group.

I thought about using the Highlanders in the league, but wasn't sure how realistic it would be for the club to make the jump. Plus, I've updated the Highlanders before in my Canadian Soccer Pyramid series, and wanted to try out something new. Ideally, it would be great to see them jump into the new league though, as they already have a built in fan base.

Ottawa Fury FC

The Fury are another club that have an incredibly generic crest. Rather than updating, I decided to throw it out and start over. I wanted to do a monogram for one of the clubs, and after playing around with the OFFC letters a bit, I came up with this neat little interlocking mark. The secondary features the poles used by draveurs, linking the club with similar imagery used by the Redblacks.

The primary kit is a similar look to that which they currently use, just a wider red stripe down the middle. I imagine the club something like PSG, going with different takes on the centre stripe each year. The clash kit features a modern sublimated pattern and red shorts (which are interchangeable with the home uniform's black shorts). Admiral remains their kit supplier.

Y1ZzX9d.png

Nmy3aHv.png

wow... I like everything what you have done so far. Great designs on both Edmonton and Ottawa (especially Ottawa primary logo and their primary jersey, don't know why but it's really appealing). One thing I don't like is that weird V neck design on Edmonton primary. I would suggest to get rid of it, and make checkered design start from the neck down (not half way down as it is now) :)

CgWPTYS.jpgaPH2PVF.jpg

Thanks steve. The Edmonton primary shirt is using one of adidas more prevalent templates from last year. I agree it's not the most pleasant thing in the world, but I tried to make it work, much like Portland Timbers did.

PORT_HOME(FORMATTED).jpg

That Ottawa crest is glorious. I love how all the letters work together, and I like how you made the O a different color to make it more prominent. And I really like the pattern on the clash kit. It's very interesting, and the angled lines and two-tone color seem to evoke "fury" to me.

Archived