Biggest upgrades/downgrades

Phils Phan

The great thing about the Sharks original logo is that it looks classic. The mistakes give it character. A good logo doesn't have to be an accurate logo.

That said, the Dan Marino Dolphins logo is better than the cartoon dolphin they switched to. And the current toothpaste logo is a downgrade from the cartoon dolphin.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought that the original teal/black/silver San Jose Sharks uniform was fantastic. It combined classic striping with a unique color scheme.

The uniforms they've worn since then have been hit or miss, but none come close to their originals.

I completely agree. I can't think of another franchise in professional sports who has downgraded more than the San Jose Sharks. Their inaugural uniform, logos and shoulder patches were perfect for an expansion team from the 90s. It was a classic look in colors that had never before seen the ice in the NHL. Their current look is boring and dull. They had it right the first time - they never should have changed.

8258450574_2981fefdfd_z.jpg

That jersey is beautiful. Why not simply put the updated logo on this template and change the orange outlines to grey?

I love this jersey and the color scheme along with it:getty_pbure.jpg

And I hate everything about these jerseys: nicklas_jensen_vancouver_040413.jpg

In my opinion, this is the biggest downgrade in NHL history. The colors of the old jersey blend smoothly, while the current color scheme is an eyesore and the shoulder patches suck.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

I always thought that the original teal/black/silver San Jose Sharks uniform was fantastic. It combined classic striping with a unique color scheme.

The uniforms they've worn since then have been hit or miss, but none come close to their originals.

I completely agree. I can't think of another franchise in professional sports who has downgraded more than the San Jose Sharks. Their inaugural uniform, logos and shoulder patches were perfect for an expansion team from the 90s. It was a classic look in colors that had never before seen the ice in the NHL. Their current look is boring and dull. They had it right the first time - they never should have changed.

That jersey is beautiful. Why not simply put the updated logo on this template and change the orange outlines to grey?

They can't. Look at all those stripes. It'd be way too heavy and slow them down on the ice!

In my opinion, this is the biggest downgrade in NHL history. The colors of the old jersey blend smoothly, while the current color scheme is an eyesore and the shoulder patches suck.

I'll admit that set of uniforms was beautiful, but that home uniform was too blue-heavy.

The problem was that the original orca colour scheme blended in too well. It was just too dark and muddy. Navy and maroon just doesn't work, in my opinion. Kelly green and royal blue, however? That pops. It's a simple, distinct, classic colour scheme. They just need to work on the primary logo.

It's a good example of athletic aesthetics vs everyday fashion. Maroon and navy totally goes together. Wearing a dark red or maroon shirt under a navy sweater would look fine. wearing a navy jacket over a maroon sweater would be fine. It's a classic combination. But, it's not "bold". It's not "inspiring". It doesn't jump out at you. It just "looks good" - which is usually the goal when choosing an outfit to wear to work or to the pub or something.

On the other hand, I wouldn't wear kelly green and blue. They do "go" together, but it's too bright, too bold, too contrasting, etc. I'd never wear black and bright orange, or bright yellow, or even RWB, but those are all great athletic colors, because they are all the things that maroon and navy are not.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't think I could disagree more. You have yet another red and blue colour scheme, only this time muddied up, and exchange it for (imho) the best colours in the NHL and superior striping. The old jerseys looked better with the Orca because they were designed with it. The level of "business" along with the colours actually matching the logo makes it work together. The Orca being slapped onto the classic blue and green colour scheme makes it look copypasted.

If we're talking about Canucks downgrades, I think this takes the cake for all of the NHL.

Ververgaert_thumb_061708.jpgGradin_full_061608.jpg

I'll never understand how they thought this was a good idea.

They can't. Look at all those stripes. It'd be way too heavy and slow them down on the ice!

I always thought that Sharks logo looked like this hot wheels car I had.

Sharkruiser_PrpHO.JPG

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't think I could disagree more. You have yet another red and blue colour scheme, only this time muddied up, and exchange it for (imho) the best colours in the NHL and superior striping. The old jerseys looked better with the Orca because they were designed with it. The level of "business" along with the colours actually matching the logo makes it work together. The Orca being slapped onto the classic blue and green colour scheme makes it look copypasted.

If we're talking about Canucks downgrades, I think this takes the cake for all of the NHL.

Ververgaert_thumb_061708.jpgGradin_full_061608.jpg

I'll never understand how they thought this was a good idea.

We have a winner.

West Germany Canucks will always be one of my favorites.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived