Have the Boards Changed Your Views / Approach?

OnWis97

These threads have actually increased my hate for the Canucks' stick-in-rink logo and the movement for the Padres to bring back brown. I already disliked each for different reasons before (the stick in rink logo tries way too hard to look "classic", even though it just ends up looking boring and generic, and brown is an awful choice for a primary color to build your identity around), but I find it ridiculous that people want to bring back logos/uniforms because of stupid nostalgia. When I want a team to bring back a particular uniform or logo, it's because I believe it is far superior aesthetically or fits with team tradition. Brown is an awful primary color no matter which way you use it. At the same time, these boards have caused me to rethink about jerseys that have been deemed BFBS (Flyers and Mets late 90s/early 2000s alternates).

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

slightly off topic, but one of my favorite things about the boards is to see some of the regular fan base folks go at it with people that design the stuff they love, or hate. theres lots of designers here you guys know, but there are quite a few who dont really make it known who they are and i know of a couple of "higher ups" around here. i love to see some kid say "a monkey could have designed these jerseys, they're garbage!" when quoting the guy who designed them, or saying "this font is terrible" to the cat that created it. always LOLz.

Now that is funny.

I laughed out loud just reading and picturing it. I'm not in the know with who most of the people here are irl, so this could've happened with me for all I know.

I used to like (not love) newer uniforms with piping. Now they feel very dated and passé. Same with side panels on football jerseys. In 2003, I loved the Bengals uniforms. Now? That white side panel sticks out like a very infected, sore thumb.

I wasn't planning on making any sort of masterpost ITT, since the only changed view that I could think of off the top of my head was that I also used to be a fan of that new wave of uniforms with piping. The boards helped me realize how arbitrary most of that piping is from a design standpoint, and so my willingness to accept piping is at a pretty low level now. I'd still like to see some team do it in a way that works though

(I was also a big fan of the Bengals' unis before the boards pointed out the white side paneling to me)

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

To be honest, I use to love the Cincinnati Reds current uniforms and considered it the best in the league. However, many people here have criticized the drop shadow they use and I never thought of that as a problem. Now, I dislike the drop shadow and would like to see the Reds move away from it. Because of all of this, I don't consider their uniforms the best in the league anymore and view their them as "so close yet so far".

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know that my opinions have necessarily been altered as a result of being a part of the CCSLC. However, I will say I've enjoyed my time here since 2006 (or maybe '05?) because I've found a group of, mostly, intelligent people with which I can have an honest debate about sports aesthetics. I've learned a lot from each of you, and I think that is what's important. In life, I want to always be learning something new. Not everyone will agree with my opinions, but I don't care where on earth you are, you'll never find a place where everyone agrees with you. Differing opinions is actually a good thing if you keep an open mind to it.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

What I've learned in my time here is how to explain why a uniform is good/bad. I used to just say "that uniform is ugly" without elaborating on anything.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

i actually did think of one. it was something i never thought of before seeing it brought up here, but its a popular CCSLC opinion that a home jersey should have the team's nickname and the away jersey should have the team's city name. i've applied that to probably 99% of my concepts since.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The best thing this forum's done for me regarding my tastes has been to make me think about why I like certain things and dislike other things. I wouldn't say my tastes have changed all that much. Even as a teenager I tended to prefer more traditional looks. I've just been "challenged" to justify my preferences, which is a good thing. For any walk of life, really. Being forced to explain things you previously just took for granted.

As for opinions that have changed? I went from thinking the Browns needed a primary logo on their helmet to simply thinking they need a proper primary logo. They can leave it off the helmet :D

I've also pulled a 180 when it comes to football facemasks. I used to be dead-set against grey facemasks if grey didn't appear elsewhere in the uniform. I'm now of the opinion that the facemask is more "equipment" then "uniform," and neutral colours like grey (or black, in Minnesota's case) work best. Thanks to Andrew W. for that one :D

I've changed my opinions on the 1970-1992 Leafs sweaters. I used to think they were great. Now? I don't think they look bad by any stretch. I just can't help but see them as the odd design out of the Leafs' uniform history. The design that just doesn't belong.

I've also become more open to the idea of the Ducks' original logo and colours, if only because I think the team has botched their chance to truly make something memerable with the current scheme. Still hate the "Mighty" Ducks name though. That's the bridge too far.

i love to see some kid say "a monkey could have designed these jerseys, they're garbage!" when quoting the guy who designed them, or saying "this font is terrible" to the cat that created it. always LOLz.

I don't feel the need to change my opinion just because the designer of the topic at hand is a poster. We expect honesty with c&c in the Concepts section. Don't see why that should change when it comes to the real deal.

Take the guy who designed the BuffaSlug. I never felt the need to alter my stated opinion about how poor a logo I thought it was just because the guy who designed it "was in the room." He certainly brought a lot to light regarding how the design came about and what his thought processes were. That was very much appreciated, and I'd never go out of my way to be rude. If the topic comes up again though? And he's posting? I'll be as honest then as I've always been. I don't like it.

When I first joined the board, I prefer modern uniforms a lot more than traditional uniforms and hated the throwback trend. Now though, I really like traditional looks much more and appreciated throwbacks to an extent. That being said, my perfect uniform is a mixture of classic and modern design elements (Louisville, Maryland, Florida State).

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

I don't feel the need to change my opinion just because the designer of the topic at hand is a poster. We expect honesty with c&c in the Concepts section. Don't see why that should change when it comes to the real deal.

Take the guy who designed the BuffaSlug. I never felt the need to alter my stated opinion about how poor a logo I thought it was just because the guy who designed it "was in the room." He certainly brought a lot to light regarding how the design came about and what his thought processes were. That was very much appreciated, and I'd never go out of my way to be rude. If the topic comes up again though? And he's posting? I'll be as honest then as I've always been. I don't like it.

You were one of the few who stuck to their guns on that one. There were a lot of 180s around here when he "came out." It wasn't so much "Oh, I've always loved the Buffaslug" as it was people suddenly tempering their feelings about it. Statements like "OMG that's the worst thing ever. The guy who designed this abomination should be fired" suddenly became "Yes, it has a few very minor flaws but it's got real potential. It's obvious that you're a genius who got shafted by your corporate overlords." And I'm just as guilty as anyone else. I readily admit that I pulled my punches* when he was a guest on the Logocast. B)

On topic: I can't say this place has changed my overall opinion on uniforms. I will always prefer the "traditional" look over the "modern" look. That said, I am more open minded with "modern" looks than I used to be. I may not like every modern rebrand or "upgrade", but I don't immediately dismiss them like I used to. As a result, there have been more than a few "modern" looks that I ended up liking. So there's that - and in my case, that's a lot.

*Pulling my punches during the Buffalslug interview on the Logocast was nothing compared to the love fest I led when we had Brandiose on the show. Brandiose has done eleventy billion logos and uniforms and I've liked maybe two of them. In my opinion, every Brandiose logo looks alike. (I've often said they should start a comic book) But you would have never guessed that listening to me on the show. I made it sound like I thought those guys were once in a millennium talents. No, I'm not proud of that. B)

BB52Big.jpg

The best thing this forum's done for me regarding my tastes has been to make me think about why I like certain things and dislike other things.

Pretty much this, and it's also caused me to think about some things that would never have crossed my mind. As for my tastes, they haven't really changed. I still don't have a particular preference for either traditional or modern looks, as both have flaws. I consider "tradition" to be merely a strong starting foundation, nothing more, but I don't care for the rushed, haphazard, trend-following nature of modern designs, either. I prefer a nice balance between the extremes.

Honestly, the most important thing that I feel I've learned since I've been here is the value of proper execution. Preferences don't matter, as they vary from person to person. Art is subjective. What does matter is paying close attention to detail, taking everything into account, and doing the very best you can with whatever direction that you choose to take. The goal should be to execute what you were going for so well that even a person whose preferences differ can at least clearly see that it was well-done, and respect that.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Prior to joining the boards I never paid too much attention to jersey designs and was definitely more into logos. I still think logo first, but have grown to appreciate how important jerseys are to the whole team identity. They are not just numbers slapped on a template...well sometimes they are. Growing up in the 90's, I'll admit that I used to like logos like the Houston Rockets with a face, but now my tastes have gone in the complete opposite direction. I even remember posting here that I liked the Columbus Blue Jackets bug logo back in 2008 or something. Not anymore.

One thing is that I do kind of miss being able to watch a game without getting distracted to see if the pants stripes match the sleeves piping and things like that. Then I'm like wait...what's the score?

I started here at the beginning of high school, mostly because in 2010, all summer there were rumors that the Redskins were switching to gold pants. I was confused by why I was so obsessed with this development. I googled constantly and eventually stumbled upon the boards. I had previously visited the main site many times, loving little details like the Seahawks full body logo. I started tinkering with concepts that year while I struggled to thrive at my new school. It was an amazing outlet for me, and I was so happy to find a community to look at my work. I cringe at how bad the concepts are now, but at one point in 2011, the Redskins official blog actually posted my design ideas! It was incredible, and a total validation of all the work I had done.

Over time, I've certainly learned far more and developed more opinions. Never thought that white shoes worked better in football until somebody mentioned it here. Now, that's one of my strongest feelings in the universe. Should be mandatory all teams wear white shoes. I've learned so much more about the history of NHL and NBA uniforms here as well. I probably know more about the NHL outside of the Capitals from pictures on this blog than anywhere else.

My approach has also changed. I used to post quite a bit, and without a lot of sense. Lots of all-caps, talk of explosions, etc. Some of my old topics are really embarrassing. I post a lot less now. I haven't made concepts in about a year and a half (college applications and then college itself will do that), but I still read the sports logos section constantly.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

My approach has also changed. I used to post quite a bit, and without a lot of sense. Lots of all-caps, talk of explosions, etc. Some of my old topics are really embarrassing. I post a lot less now. I haven't made concepts in about a year and a half (college applications and then college itself will do that), but I still read the sports logos section constantly.

Haha, you nailed it man. I was like that too. Maybe I still am. I don't post a lot (prob never did that much) and I did post in flurries. Sometimes just being a jerkbag to get a reaction.

But man, I've been on this forum since probably the very beginning it seems. Thank you CC!!

Have the boards changed me? Prob not much. Even in the late 90s and early 2000s I really didn't like the dark navy/BFBS trend. And I'm glad to see that trend has mostly reversed. I still see too many bevels, outlines and unnecessary piping. But with all the brands making unis now trying to be the next UA or next Nike, we're gonna see crazy designs flourish.

I think the boards have changed the outside world much, much more than they changed me. And I'd like to claim that I have made that happen:

- in March of 2002 when the Bills "new alternate" logo was leaked, I emailed it to WGR-AM 550 the sports talk station in Buffalo and the next morning it was all the rage. They posted it on their site and fans all over having a conniption fit. No regrets, that whole uni package was garbage, but maybe the alt would've held it together (they scrapped it in the end, but left everything else--it was supposed to be on the front "pocket location" and the pant leg)

- in 2006 when the Sabres Buffalsug was leaked, I did the same thing --- emailed it to WGR and the Buffalo News --- and the backlash was even bigger than with the Bills. I think you all know the rest by now.

I now pay much more attention to minor uniform and logo details than I ever did before. Before I found this site, despite watching the NFL and MLB for decades, I had no idea the Dolphins had changed their helmet logo and added navy in 1997. I had no idea the Bills had added 17 more stripes in varying shades of blue to the middle of their helmets in 2002. I had no idea there were so many variations of the Orioles' cartoon birds over the years. I didn't realize there were variations on the Padres interlocking SD cap logo or that there were so many different Taco Bell caps. I was unaware that the Yankees had different NY logos and the Tigers different D's. I never paid attention the varying shades of blue and silver in the Cowboys uniforms. I'm sure there are other examples, but that's just off the top of my head.

The best thing this forum's done for me regarding my tastes has been to make me think about why I like certain things and dislike other things. I wouldn't say my tastes have changed all that much. Even as a teenager I tended to prefer more traditional looks. I've just been "challenged" to justify my preferences, which is a good thing. For any walk of life, really. Being forced to explain things you previously just took for granted.

As for opinions that have changed? I went from thinking the Browns needed a primary logo on their helmet to simply thinking they need a proper primary logo. They can leave it off the helmet :D

I've also pulled a 180 when it comes to football facemasks. I used to be dead-set against grey facemasks if grey didn't appear elsewhere in the uniform. I'm now of the opinion that the facemask is more "equipment" then "uniform," and neutral colours like grey (or black, in Minnesota's case) work best. Thanks to Andrew W. for that one :D

I've changed my opinions on the 1970-1992 Leafs sweaters. I used to think they were great. Now? I don't think they look bad by any stretch. I just can't help but see them as the odd design out of the Leafs' uniform history. The design that just doesn't belong.

I've also become more open to the idea of the Ducks' original logo and colours, if only because I think the team has botched their chance to truly make something memerable with the current scheme. Still hate the "Mighty" Ducks name though. That's the bridge too far.

i love to see some kid say "a monkey could have designed these jerseys, they're garbage!" when quoting the guy who designed them, or saying "this font is terrible" to the cat that created it. always LOLz.

i didnt mean that anyone would/should change their opinion when talking to a designer. there's some guys around here who are anonymous or that the general public here doesn't know all they're involved with. so they get quoted, unknowingly by a poster, and usually have their work torn apart. i don't think most people would say "this looks like a 3 year old did it" to someones face, but unknowingly do it here on the boards. and a lot of comments are really much more creative than that. "the Buffaslug looks like Barney Rubble's hair", that's gold! but maybe that's only funny to me?

i will say this, i have changed the way i choose my words around here, or any public format (twitter, blogs, etc). of course i'll always be honest about something but i've learned i need to be nicer about it. turns out i got an email from a creative director at a pro team after i called one of his designs a bad word on here. (again, sorry about that if you read this!). so when i see you guys "spitting venom" at someones designs that i know, or see them in the thread, even if i disagree with it, it's still funny to me! and i can poke fun at them later about it.

i think a lot of frustration on the designers side that comes from negative comments about their work, is because to the general public, it's like Cap said. "bad design = i dont like it". but there's so much more depth to what good design is than that. so to the designers, because you know that; that makes you valuable in your field. don't let the negativity get you down. the guy that designed the "worst sports logo ever", is one of the coolest, happiest guys i've ever known. didn't ruin his life. you just have to laugh at it, which probably means laughing at yourself too and appreciating a good insult from time to time. but again, i dont know, maybe i have a strange sense of humor.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I forget when I joined this site, but it's been a while.

I've taken a bit more notice to NFL uniform stripes than I did before.

This site has been very educational to me and continues to be so. It is second to none and has been for a very long time now.

I know I have also learned that I am FAR from alone in my love of uniforms and logos. And I have definitely learned that there are many very gifted artists on this site who contribute ideas which are truly off the charts amazing.

I learned...I learned that you stole my dog. I miss my dog. :( I want my dog back. He was the best dog to ever live. :cursing: YOU DOG STEALER!

j/k...In all seriousness, it's a tough question, seeing as it's been a long time. I first came across the community when it was at Fanhome back in 2001, and migrated to the CCSLC forums shortly after it (re)opened. I figure finding my way here would've only been a matter of when, not if, though in all honesty, I'm not sure I ever would've made a single concept had I never come. I likely wouldn't have made TATC my first shtick if I'd come later than I did.

That it's been over a decade since I joined...makes it somewhat harder to pinpoint what views have stayed the same, what's evolved and what's changed. One thing I can think of off the top of my head, maybe it's simply a confirmation...anyway, you have certain logos that are highly versatile, while there are others that only truly work in one way. The trick is to know which is which.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Kinda off-topic, but I hate when I hear people say of their favorite team "I don't care what they wear as long as they win". After being here for the past decade, I've come to realize that, barring a championship or several seasons of historical success (or failure?), the way teams look will be remembered much longer than the way they played.

Examples:

How many of you can tell me what the Houston Oilers won-loss record was in 1971? How many of you can tell me what their helmet looked like that season?

How many of you can tell me what the Houston Astros uniforms looked like 1975-80 or so? How many of you can tell me where they finished in the standings any of those seasons?

(Not sure why I picked two Houston teams. They were just the first two that came to mind.)

Hard core fans of teams may remember details of their team historic success or failure, but the rest of world is more likely to remember what they wore.

Kinda off-topic, but I hate when I hear people say of their favorite team "I don't care what they wear as long as they win". After being here for the past decade, I've come to realize that, barring a championship or several seasons of historical success (or failure?), the way teams look will be remembered much longer than the way they played.

Examples:

How many of you can tell me what the Houston Oilers won-loss record was in 1971? How many of you can tell me what their helmet looked like that season?

How many of you can tell me what the Houston Astros uniforms looked like 1975-80 or so? How many of you can tell me where they finished in the standings any of those seasons?

(Not sure why I picked two Houston teams. They were just the first two that came to mind.)

Hard core fans of teams may remember details of their team historic success or failure, but the rest of world is more likely to remember what they wore.

Interesting take. Because while I certainly do care how my teams look, I care more about how they perform on the field/court/ice. For other teams, I probably care more about the uniforms.

The Twins, in my opinion, just made a huge downgrade. Gold sometimes; not other times. Ditching the pinstripes for the boringest thing I've ever seen. But I'd rather they wear that and win one championship then win no championships in the better uniform. (I know that this is not how it works; but in terms of prioritization...)

So while I remember exactly how the Twins looked, I also remember how they perform. Your points about the two Houston teams are right on (for me, a non-Houston fan), but you did say "favorite team" and I think most people even here at uni-nerd central care more about their favorite team's performance than look.

So while I would not say "I don't care what they wear as long as they win", I would say "Winning is more important than how they look."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

In 1971 the Oilers were 4-9-1; and their helmets were silver with the oil derrick logo. It was also the last year of the silver helmets, and the last year the jerseys had TV numbers on the shoulders in Houston. When the franchise was renamed the Titans in the late 90s, the jerseys would once again feature the TV numbers on the shoulders.

Archived