New Los Angeles MLS Team Awarded

bartodell

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see them having a mascot anytime soon. LA will never have an NFL team in a million years either.

Sarcasm, right?

No, just the goo. I'm surprised he didn't suggest they change to the LA Pandas. Ignore him.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

There are casual fans like you, and I imagine they'll also be doing what NYCFC is doing; grabbing people who are new to the league or who haven't already followed the Galaxy for whatever reason.

I will say it is extremely cool to get in on the ground floor and have a say in the development of the club's culture.

That's why I might want to make NYCFC my MLS team. I tried to get behind the Revolution, being a Boston team, but that didn't really stick. And this year, I tried to get behind my local team, Toronto FC, with the signings of Defoe and Bradley, but I just can't watch that garbage team. I'd like to get into MLS, and NYCFC would be a fresh start. My uncle also lives in New York, so I at least have a small connection to them.

What if NYCFC turns out to be garbage?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The thing I have to wonder about this is what exactly is different about LAFC and the Galaxy.

The Galaxy for the longest time have always been the big money team of MLS (though NYCFC & LAFC might challenge for that title) and I have seen some fans in LA say that they couldn't get behind such a concept and LAFC to me is just another big money team.

The only difference I can see so far is the color schemes.

It's been like two hours.

Literally the only things they've done are announce their existence and a color scheme.

First impressions do count for something.

To me the immediate impression I get is of a NYCFC/LA Galaxy big money feel.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I love how in the article, the MLS made it seem as if Chivas USA never existed at all. Kinda similar to what the Nationals do to the Expos.

The situations aren't at all analogous.

The Expos moved to Washington and re-branded. All the coaches and players remained constant, the minor league affiliations stayed the same and there's a clear legacy.

Chivas USA, on the other hand, was folded by the league. The players will all be dispersed amongst the other teams. Its academy will be shut down and all the development players reassigned to other teams or released from their contracts. When LAFC starts up, it will be with all-new personnel. There will be an expansion draft to stock the roster, and a new academy/affiliations will be built.

The Nationals are the Expos with a new location and name. On the other hand, a home city is the only thing LAFC and Chivas USA will share.

I love how in the article, the MLS made it seem as if Chivas USA never existed at all. Kinda similar to what the Nationals do to the Expos.

Except that officially the Nationals are still the Expos just relocated and rebranded even if minimized by the FO. Chivas USA is gone forever, folded and relegated to the dustbin of history not unlike the Mutiny or Fusion. LAFC is a brand new expansion franchise with no ties to Chivas beyond being a second team in LA. There's no reason for LAFC to reference a franchise they have no relation to in their press release.

So...all we have is a placeholder name and a colour scheme, but it's a great colour scheme. Red and black seems so common, but it's actually a breath of fresh air in MLS after the deluge of blue. I'm interested in seeing where this is going.

For what it's worth, they already have their own beer by Rouge - Ignition Ale

It's too bad that LA's newest MLS side couldn't partner with a local brewer the likes of Eagle Rock Brewery, Golden Road Brewing, or Angel City Brewing. Granted, the local craft brewers don't currently have the ability to match Oregon-based Rogue's production capacity, but it would have made for a nice synergy.

As for a logo for LAFC...

webcontent_medium.jpeg

... lose the gradients and I love this badge. LOVE it!

Interesting that they took this Arena Football-like approach. In North American sports, a franchise ceasing operations is largely seen as a sign of trouble with the league as a whole, and that's the last perception MLS needs. While true fans of the league will understand the background, casual fans might view it badly.

nav-logo.png

Archived