New Los Angeles MLS Team Awarded

bartodell

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

raysox called it

No, that's just a placeholder name.

No official name, colors, or logo has been chosen. They're leaving it up to the fans to decide.

(I'm open to the name "L.A. Rogues")

I don't think they are going to change the colors since they are already using those colors in marketing. They may add a tertiary color like NYCFC did with the orange but I don't see red and black going away.

Interesting that they took this Arena Football-like approach. In North American sports, a franchise ceasing operations is largely seen as a sign of trouble with the league as a whole, and that's the last perception MLS needs. While true fans of the league will understand the background, casual fans might view it badly.

So far most casual fans I have seen online see this as a rebrand of Chivas USA.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I don't think casual fans will think much of it.

Anyone who knows much about MLS will understand (heck, approve), and it'll fly under the radar for pretty much everyone else.

That and the most things most casuals knew about Chivas USA was that it was a "Mexican" team or what they heard about during the racism debacle. Seeing something like that go away will be a plus for many of those said casuals. Chivas really was a unique situation for US pro sports in that regard. And the fact they turned it around the same week and announced an all star ownership group for a new team in the same market... Chivas USA will be quickly forgotten by the few who knew it existed (other than the few fans of the team that were invested in the Chivas name).

No official name, colors, or logo has been chosen. They're leaving it up to the fans to decide.

The black and red colour scheme seems to be decided upon. I hope they keep that, at the very least. I also hope they keep LAFC. Yeah, you can make a case that the "FC" trend is played out, but it just works so well here. "FC" is two letters. "LA" is two letters. It just works in a neat sort of way.

Now I don't know if there's anything in particular to take from either of these, but these two background images (a map of LA/OC and an image of the Rose Bowl) are on LAFC's website. Again, idk what you could actually take from them, but they're there:

ScreenShot2014-10-30at45746PM_zps4f976e3

ScreenShot2014-10-30at45808PM_zps2b82e0c

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Is there any particular reason MLS chose not to award this franchise to an expansion city? Does MLS really need two LA teams?

Garber is extremely stubborn and is rather adamant on getting a second MLS team in LA to work after the Chivas USA debacle.

It also helps that the LAFC ownership has a lot of money behind it.

Is there any particular reason MLS chose not to award this franchise to an expansion city? Does MLS really need two LA teams?

The sometimes vast distances between clubs has been one of the major stumbling blocks in creating popularity for MLS. When you look at major European clubs, their stands are always filled with their fans and fans of the opponents. Having relatively close teams creates that big, loud, rivalry filled environment that European clubs have. Just look at the energy when Portland and Seattle face off. They want to create that feeling in more places.

TDZiMMB.png

Because Major League Soccer is hellbent on saturating the Greater L.A. market with too much professional soccer, on the premise that it's still worth more to the league's pocketbooks than letting other California cities such as Sacramento and San Diego get into the mix.

Hell, by this logic, I wouldn't be surprised if MLS took on three clubs here in the future, ala the NHL and the NY/NJ area (or what the NBA nearly had when the Sac Kings were this close to relocating to Anaheim in 2011).

The sometimes vast distances between clubs has been one of the major stumbling blocks in creating popularity for MLS. When you look at major European clubs, their stands are always filled with their fans and fans of the opponents. Having relatively close teams creates that big, loud, rivalry filled environment that European clubs have. Just look at the energy when Portland and Seattle face off. They want to create that feeling in more places.

The biggest rivalry the Galaxy has is with the Earthquakes (SoCal vs. Bay Area); the 1st incarnation ended when San Jose 1.0 relocated to Houston, while the 2nd with San Jose 2.0 is now tame (though there are billboards near the HDC for their new stadium).

Their other current rivals (Sounders, RSL) are only on-the-field and in postseason-time; it's not as bad blooded and fierce as the one against the Earthquakes.

One reason why the idea of a local derby flopped with Chivas USA is that the derby didn't focus against the Galaxy, as more it was against teams who were hated rivals of the original Chivas squad of Mexico (America, Toluca, Pachuca). But even then, those rival fans didn't come to the derby games.

A couple interesting things came out of a twitter Q&A yesterday with owners Tom Penn and Henry Nguyen.

- Los Angeles FC and the red/black color scheme aren't official. They said both are trending strong, but ultimately the name and colors will be open to fan input very soon. They want to have both of those nailed down by the start of the 2015 MLS season.

- Regarding stadium sites, apparently that map on their website wasn't just for show. While the Sports Arena/Exhibition Park site is where most people believe they'll go, they said they're open to all options in Los Angeles AND Orange County. That'd be an interesting twist on this.

- They're going to start up the academy and develop players in the interim before 2017. Hopefully have some homegrown talent on the squad as soon as they start up in MLS.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

A couple interesting things came out of a twitter Q&A yesterday with owners Tom Penn and Henry Nguyen.

- Los Angeles FC and the red/black color scheme aren't official. They said both are trending strong, but ultimately the name and colors will be open to fan input very soon. They want to have both of those nailed down by the start of the 2015 MLS season.

- Regarding stadium sites, apparently that map on their website wasn't just for show. While the Sports Arena/Exhibition Park site is where most people believe they'll go, they said they're open to all options in Los Angeles AND Orange County. That'd be an interesting twist on this.

- They're going to start up the academy and develop players in the interim before 2017. Hopefully have some homegrown talent on the squad as soon as they start up in MLS.

I have a feeling a lot of the kids from the old Chivas academy are going to transfer over to the new LAFC academy.

As for the red & black color scheme I have a strong feeling that those colors are going to stay. They may add a third color to differentiate themselves from DC United but I don't see those colors going away.

As for the red & black color scheme I have a strong feeling that those colors are going to stay. They may add a third color to differentiate themselves from DC United but I don't see those colors going away.

I rather hope not. I think the name and colors are a fantastic place to start their branding.

Archived