October's Over: The 2014-15 MLB off-season thread.

TheRicSlick

Looks like Scherzer to the Nats for a 7 year deal.

Good riddance.I hope his couch is comfy enough for him to sit back on and watch the Tigers win the Fall Classic.

I thought you were going to go become a Cubs fan.
That was a knee jerk reaction that I decided against. I, as a Michigander, have to stay loyal to the Dteroit teams. :P

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They won 96 games, the most in the NL last year. In this age of baseball, being the best in the regular season is the most you can realistically hope for. They played three one-run games and lost them all. :censored: happens, and bad managing doesn't help. Oh well.

Pretty much. Being the best gives you an edge in a short series but to win three in a row, no team can afford back luck. Postseason expansion is the great equalizer.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The NL is most definitely theirs. The Phillies, Mets and Marlins have done little or nothing to better themselves; the Braves have lost a few key pieces.

Other contenders in the NL are the Dodgers, who have added some pieces and are gunning for a title (but we've been saying this for the last 5 years).

Will the Giants take a year off to re-tool as seems to be their formula?

The Padres look like a team ready to gun for a wild-card, but nothing more.

Cardinals are always a usual suspect.

sig.png

Big pickup for the Nats with Scherzer, but I do wonder if the losses of Soriano and Clippard cancels out some of the pros of that addition.

The loss of Clippard makes the bullpen worse, but it shouldn't be a huge decline from the previous season.

The Scherzer signing seems to be about insuring against the future more than a "2015 or bust" mentality. After this year, both Zimmermann and Fister will be free agents. After 2016, Strasburg becomes a free agent. Maybe the Nationals are able to sign/extend all of them, but odds are they won't. Scherzer gives the Nationals flexibility to possibly trade Zimmerman, Fister, or even Strasburg to help solidify the team in the future if Rizzo deems it necessary.

Nats are going to allegedly trade Stephen Strasburg.

The question I would have is why have the Nats not taken the brakes off the guy yet?

He pitched 215 innings last year. Which was good enough for 14th in the majors and 5th in the National League. I would say that the brakes have been taken off.

Now all of a sudden the guy they've pegged to be the staff ace for the next ten years is on the trading block. What is it about Stephen Strasburg that is making the Nats behave this way? Teams don't just give up on people they believe to be franchise building blocks for no reason.

The Nationals aren't giving up on Strasburg. Rizzo simply has the philosophy that no player is "untouchable". If Rizzo got a good return for trading Strasburg that made the Nationals better, why shouldn't he do it?

IN RIZZO WE TRUST!

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

As much as the Nats may seem to think they won't be able to retain Ian Desmond after he hits free agency, and as much as I'm sure Jose Reyes is eager to participate in an NL East Tour, I don't really imagine Washington views their longer-term solution at SS to be an injury-prone, declining 31 year old who is owed $22M for the next three seasons and either will make $22M in 2018 or receive a $4M buyout.

And, that too, they acquired Yunel Escobar, giving up an elite RP, as Desmond's security if/when he is moved or leaves Washington.

spacer.png

Poor Gonzalez Germen:

-designated for assignment by the Mets on December 15.

-traded by the Mets to the Yankees for cash on December 19.

-designated for assignment by the Yankees on January 13.

-traded by the Yankees to the Rangers for cash on January 20.

-designated for assignment by the Rangers on January 21.

If I were the Blue Jays, I'd trade Jose Reyes & a couple mid prospects for whichever starter the Nats would give up. Washington say they need a SS...

well... here you go!

I think its very wishful thinking on the part of Blue Jays fans for them to think they can land Strasburg.

The two biggest needs for the Nats right now are at second base and the bullpen. The Jays can't really help the Nats with either.

All they can provide them with is prospects, which is going to be a near given for any haul the Nats get back for Strasburg, so unless there are no other real takers out there I think they're out.

The team in the best position to pick him up I think are the Angels. For starters I think Joe Smith would give the Nats a solid replacement for the loss of Clippard and Soriano. Alex Yarbrough could be a future starting second baseman, but most importantly they have the young arms to entice Washington. If add in Sean Newcomb their top prospect and maybe a mid-tier guy like a Chris Ellis, you might be in business.

They also would be able to afford Strasburg as well which after his health is the next biggest concern for any team looking to pick him up. C.J. Wilson will be off the books by the time Strasburg is free agent eligible and they will only have one more year left on Josh Hamilton's insane contract as well. There's your Stasburg money right there. They have a bit of a track record of going after pitchers with injury concerns if they think they're good. You have Scott Kazmir and Tommy Hanson as two fairly recent examples, plus the so-Cal connection, which I think will make Strasburg happy. I think right now that's your best bet.

After them I would say my next guess would be the Cubs. Javier Baez, Pedro Strop and maybe someone like Travis Wood as a back end rotation guy or a mid-level prospect. Again I think its a haul that the Nats could use in both the short and long term and the Cubs would also have the money to pay Strasburg when he comes up for free agency.

So with all that being said he will wind up either staying on the Nats or getting traded to Twins along with the ghost of Walter Johnson in exchange for Joe Mauer and Phil Hughes, or some other wacky deal that nobody is going to see coming.

Looking at the Blue Jays roster, I see a lot of holes (2B, CF, Closer, SP), and they don't seem to be doing much about them. The Padres are looking to trade an outfielder, so Toronto could look there (Cameron Maybin, Will Venable) to shore up CF. At closer, Rafael Soriano and K-Rod are still on the FA market, and they could get one of them (admittedly at a steep price) to close games in place of Brett Cecil. James Shields is perfect for the vacant #1 starter position. A deal with Washington for a starter is unlikely, as they have nothing the Nats want. The 2nd base market looks pretty thin, so I think they should just stay pat there and wait for something to open up during the season.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Poor Gonzalez Germen:

-designated for assignment by the Mets on December 15.

-traded by the Mets to the Yankees for cash on December 19.

-designated for assignment by the Yankees on January 13.

-traded by the Yankees to the Rangers for cash on January 20.

-designated for assignment by the Rangers on January 21.

-claimed off waivers by the Cubs on January 23.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Well, the Blue Jays and Orioles ended discussions about Duquette, and thank God for that. The way in which ownership has gone around trying to replace Beeston - a guy who has done more for the Blue Jays than anybody in their history - is just embarrassing. He deserves better.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Ichiro is a Marlin? ...really? ...why?

Yeah, I saw the picture on MLB's Instagram page...I was a bit shocked too. He signed a relatively cheap contract (one year, $2 million), and at age 41 (and closing in on 3,000 MLB hits--he's just 156 shy from that mark), this may be it for him. This will be his 24th season playing professional baseball.

Archived