2015-16 Soccer Kits and News

crashcarson15

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But all your examples are nothing against Werder Bremen's last decade of a green-white striped shirt to a green-orange Arsenal-look to a white shirt with a green sash to a green-orange halfed shirt to a white-green halfed shirt to a green shirt with white shorts.

Also Hertha went from a navy-white striped shirt to a completely royal blue kit to a completely white kit to a completely navy kit to a blue-white striped kit to another navy kit.

But you got to admit that it changed over the last few years. Many teams now try to stay with a specific look, like Hertha with their blue and white stripes, Bremen wore simple green shirts paired with white shorts for several years now, Frankfurt stays with the red and black stripes and so on. So it's no more like it was from 2000-2010.

I hear you. I wouldn't know that the changes in some German clubs have been more drastic or shortlived than in, say, England or Spain, but there have been some really, really strange excursions. Bremen, as you mentioned, surely comes to mind. Throughout all of their history they had been green and white and then all of the sudden in comes the orange. Sure, it was unique in its way, but I guess it angered a lot of fans of theirs. By the way, I do not like Werder as a team at all, but I have to say that over these past years they've never failed to impress me with their kits. They look really classy this year, but I especially liked that kit from last year.

One of the German prime examples for abandoning history in favor of ... well, what actually ... must still be Bochum's mid nineties kit when they went all rainbow (them being a historically blue and white team). Well, at least for half the jersey. It was most likely in favor of their then sponsor Faber, but come on, that was just out there. And I loved it back then! (I was like 8). I also remember that directly before the rainbow experiment they went with those grey-ish jerseys that looked like squared paper - quite fittingly, I thought, as they had always been called "Graue Maus" (grey mouse) in the league for their rather inconspicuous play and "moderate" success.

Bayern are looking good, I like the new kit. One question though: What's with the three white diamonds at the bottom? Subtle adidas reference?

That's English football as well. Teams own basic color schemes but the specific uniforms are constantly changing.

Not really, especially at the level of German clubs.

Let’s go through the Premier League mainstays (plus Newcastle):

• Arsenal have worn something other than their traditional home kit in just 3 seasons of the PL era. '05-'06 saw the classic kit for the last year at Highbury, '08-'10 had the racing stripe down the sleeve.
  • Aston Villa have worn something other than claret shirt, blue sleeves, white shorts for 4 seasons of it. '93-'95 saw a kit inspired by the '57 FA Cup winning kit, '99-'00 saw claret and blue stripes, while '00-'01 saw a solid claret home kit.
  • Chelsea have worn blue shirts, blue shorts and white socks every year of the Premier League era.
  • Everton have worn blue shirts and white shorts every year of the Premier League era, only changing sock color from year to year.
  • Liverpool have worn an all-red kit every season for the last 50 years.
  • Manchester United have worn red shirts, white shorts and black socks every year for the last 44 seasons.
  • Newcastle United have worn black-and-white striped shirts and black shorts every year since 1920.
  • Spurs have worn plain white home shirts in every year of the Premier League era, only switching from navy shorts to white ones on two occasions.

Presuming Villa unveil a classic kit again next year, it will have been 15 years since any of the big clubs not named Arsenal have messed drastically with their home kit.

Let’s contrast that with the omnipresent Bundesliga clubs…

• Bayern Munich have worn everything from solid red to red-and-blue striped kits and from red-and-white striped kits to navy kits with a red Boca-style stripe in the last 20 years.
  • Borussia Dortmund have gone from solid yellow home :censored:s to striped ones and Arsenal-style ones.
  • Schalke buck the trend well; they wear solid blue almost exclusively at home.
  • Bayer Leverkusen typically wear red home shirts but had a black shirt with a red sash at home for a couple years. Could you imagine Arsenal wearing a white kit with a red sash?
  • As was mentioned earlier, Werder Bremen have gone with everything from white shirts to green-and-black stripes to green-and-orange raglan sleeves.
  • Hamburg also buck the trend, wearing their classic white/red/blue.
  • Wolfsburg have had everything from white shirts to green ones and halved kits to striped ones recently.

I don’t see how English and German football style in this regard is anywhere near being similar.

6fQjS3M.png

While talking about Bremen and their unfamous orange it's actually a success story. They unveiled the first green and orange kits just before one of the best eras in their history began. One year later they won the league title and qualified for the CL for nearly the whole last decade. The orange was a Kappa thing though. But I like that Nike still sometimes does some sublte orange touches to Bremen's kits because it kinda became a part of their identity. Kappa used it inflationary. This year Nike just coloured the swoosh in orange and some welds at the buttons.

37756016_xxl.jpg

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

That's English football as well. Teams own basic color schemes but the specific uniforms are constantly changing.

Let’s go through the Premier League mainstays (plus Newcastle):

• Arsenal have worn something other than their traditional home kit in just 3 seasons of the PL era. '05-'06 saw the classic kit for the last year at Highbury, '08-'10 had the racing stripe down the sleeve.
  • Aston Villa have worn something other than claret shirt, blue sleeves, white shorts for 4 seasons of it. '93-'95 saw a kit inspired by the '57 FA Cup winning kit, '99-'00 saw claret and blue stripes, while '00-'01 saw a solid claret home kit.
  • Chelsea have worn blue shirts, blue shorts and white socks every year of the Premier League era.
  • Everton have worn blue shirts and white shorts every year of the Premier League era, only changing sock color from year to year.
  • Liverpool have worn an all-red kit every season for the last 50 years.
  • Manchester United have worn red shirts, white shorts and black socks every year for the last 44 seasons.
  • Newcastle United have worn black-and-white striped shirts and black shorts every year since 1920.
  • Spurs have worn plain white home shirts in every year of the Premier League era, only switching from navy shorts to white ones on two occasions.

Presuming Villa unveil a classic kit again next year, it will have been 15 years since any of the big clubs not named Arsenal have messed drastically with their home kit.

Let’s contrast that with the omnipresent Bundesliga clubs…

• Bayern Munich have worn everything from solid red to red-and-blue striped kits and from red-and-white striped kits to navy kits with a red Boca-style stripe in the last 20 years.
  • Borussia Dortmund have gone from solid yellow home :censored:s to striped ones and Arsenal-style ones.
  • Schalke buck the trend well; they wear solid blue almost exclusively at home.
  • Bayer Leverkusen typically wear red home shirts but had a black shirt with a red sash at home for a couple years. Could you imagine Arsenal wearing a white kit with a red sash?
  • As was mentioned earlier, Werder Bremen have gone with everything from white shirts to green-and-black stripes to green-and-orange raglan sleeves.
  • Hamburg also buck the trend, wearing their classic white/red/blue.
  • Wolfsburg have had everything from white shirts to green ones and halved kits to striped ones recently.

I don’t see how English and German football style in this regard is anywhere near being similar.

You also left out a good deal of styles,

• Bayer made the CL final wearing red and black stripes, and now it seems like they will turn the primary being the clash kit from the previous year into a thing.
  • Bayern have also had hoops, they've darkened their red and paired it with graphite sleeves, and they've also worn those weird blackcurrant kits,
  • Werder had an orange and green halved kit one year
  • BVB wore a huge-ass black horizontal stripe with black sleeves

And these are the biggest,most traditional teams in Germany. No other major league does this. The only other league that comes even close to this level of constant changing is Russia.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Just to be a kernt, there was that kit with the navy sleeves for Tottenham in 05/06.

For the most part, home kits aren't messed with. They tend to be regarded as 'sacred' things. Look at fan reactions from Stoke and Southampton in recent years to the loss of stripes and you will see why.

Away kits and particularly third kits are where more freedom is allowed. Most clubs follow patterns and have 'classic' away looks but here is where you will see a lot of design changes.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Hate it, but at least it fits for the ladies and their tough NWO persona in women's soccer. Like "We're here to kick ass and take names." but maybe that is just me. I would still much prefer that they were RWB.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Archived