Alternate SPORTS! History Thread

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, PackMan said:

Yes, that IHL. Don't forget the Fort Wayne Komets, Long Beach Ice Dogs among others

I don't think Fort Wayne would have made the leap to major league status.  They were on their second IHL ownership, the first moving on to Albany NY in a stupid thought of making it in a market with three minor league teams.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

19 minutes ago, Needschat said:

I don't think Fort Wayne would have made the leap to major league status.  They were on their second IHL ownership, the first moving on to Albany NY in a stupid thought of making it in a market with three minor league teams.  

I'm aware of that, in the alternate timeline the smaller teams (like Grand Rapids) will either move to another league, fold, or go to a bigger city shortly before the IHL reaches major league status.

591ec53b9bf0a_ABLChamps.png.988aea6f30fd9cb827c4ad87f8b6d031.png

• 2 weeks later...

Another idea that I'm considering: What if the Browns never left Cleveland? What factors would keep them there? It would be interesting to see the Browns have Ray Lewis and win 2 Super Bowls...

591ec53b9bf0a_ABLChamps.png.988aea6f30fd9cb827c4ad87f8b6d031.png

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an ultimate "what if?...Bill Walsh as head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals.

Paul Brown retired from coaching after the 1975 NFL season, and promoted Bill "Tiger" Johnson as head coach starting in '76.  Walsh was the offensive coordinator for the Bengals from year one (1968) until he left; Johnson (another day-one assistant under Paul Brown) coached 2 1/3 seasons, but resigned five games into 1978.  Johnson actually did better in the 33 games he coached (18-15) than Walsh did in his first 33 in San Francisco (8-25).

Walsh didn't become the head coach of the 49ers until the '79 season (he went from Cincy to San Diego to his first stint in Palo Alto in the meantime), so there was still the opportunity there for him to coach the Bengals, if Brown wanted him back in Cincy.  Just watched the Football Life episode on Walsh recently, one of the reasons why Brown passed on Walsh was essentially because he was too much of a "nervous wreck" (some of his Niner players and management pretty much said the same thing).  What if, though, Brown took the same chance on Walsh that the 49ers did, and he kept him in Cincy as head coach starting in 1976?  Pretty certain that we'll be talking about the "Ohio River Offense" in NFL folklore instead of the West Coast Offense.

In light of the Colts firing Chuck Pagano and the uncertainty of Andrew Luck

What if the 2014-15 Colts did not have to play NE in the AFC-CG (AKA the game that brought us Deflategate)?

Remember, that was the year New England traded blows with Baltimore in an AFC Divisional playoff classic that could have gone either way (Edelman threw a TD pass, Flacco and Brady basically went mano a mano)

I say this because Indy was the 4 seed, Baltimore the 6 seed. Had the Ravens prevailed in a game they could have possibly won.... remember, Luck's Colts basically got ran over by New England with the games having comical lopsided scores and especially lopsided rushing stats.

OTOH, Indy had beaten the Ravens that season and didn't exactly get obliterated when they played a WC game at Baltimore. 

16 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

Neither the Utah Grizzlies or Salt Lake Golden Eagles (depending on the time frame).

And San Antonio Dragons, San Francisco Spiders, Atlanta Knights, Las Vegas Thunder, & Indianapolis Ice.

It is what it is.

3 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Would Lamar Hunt still have formed the AFL had one of the other Foolish Club guys (Howsam, Wilson, Adams, etc) bought the Chicago Cardinals?

From what I heard, there were people that visited with the Wolfner's in Miami before he did. If one of those prospective owners buys the team and moves them before he can talk to them, I don't think he does because Violet Wolfner was the one who planted the idea for the league in his head. She told him that there were several reps from different cities that were trying to buy the Cardinals, which gave him the idea for the new league.

My guess is that he tries to get an expansion team over the next several years, or tries to get into a football league that Gary Davidson and Dennis Murphy (the two men who started the ABA, WHA, and WFL) start if they form the WFL seven to eight years earlier.

10 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Would Lamar Hunt still have formed the AFL had one of the other Foolish Club guys (Howsam, Wilson, Adams, etc) bought the Chicago Cardinals?

If Hunt or Bud Adams were able to buy the Cardinals there's no AFL, if any of the other original AFL owners bought them the AFL would have still have happened. If say Ralph Wilson buys the Cardinals there's no Buffalo Bills and there's most likely an AFL team in Cincinnati or Miami a few years earlier, sorta like the NFL poaching the AFL Minneapolis franchise which caused Oakland to get an AFL team. Hunt had the vision for the league and had the deep pockets to keep the league afloat like Bud Adams with either of them out of the picture the AFL doesn't happen.

Check this out:

Not bad, but the MNF one was wrong. It should have been "What if Monday Night Football didn't start on ABC?". From what I understand, CBS and NBC turned it down, and a fourth network (Hughes Network or something) would have televised it if ABC passed. If Roone Arledge, Howard Cosell, and Don Meredith weren't a part of this project, it would have been a flop, in my opinion.

I play a lot of Fast Break College Basketball and do a lot of scenarios that involve simming from early with 64-team tournaments, existing conferences and then letting things evolve from there. I'm currently in the midst of a league I've had running since 1913, with a NBA league (36-team) to go along with it, plus some foreign leagues. So the possibilities are somewhat endless. The college part is fun because there are so many teams, and varied possibilities from history to making tournaments and so forth. 

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

• 2 months later...

Before the 1970-71 season, Roller Derby boss Jerry Seltzer put in a bid to buy the struggling NHL Golden Seals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Golden_Seals

He had a more detailed plan to turn the team around, and Raider partner Wayne Valley was going to help. However, the owners chose Charlie O'Finley (they didn't want to deal with two men), and the rest is history.

A side note to all this: GM Bill Torrey resigned during that first season because he didn't get along with Finley. He went on to build the Islander dynasty.

46 minutes ago, DnBronc said:

Before the 1970-71 season, Roller Derby boss Jerry Seltzer put in a bid to buy the struggling NHL Golden Seals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Golden_Seals

He had a more detailed plan to turn the team around, and Raider partner Wayne Valley was going to help. However, the owners chose Charlie O'Finley (they didn't want to deal with two men), and the rest is history.

A side note to all this: GM Bill Torrey resigned during that first season because he didn't get along with Finley. He went on to build the Islander dynasty.

if they did choose them over O'Finley, are the Seals still around today (or moved to someplace else and not merging with the North Stars). 

so long and thanks for all the fish.

2 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

if they did choose them over O'Finley, are the Seals still around today (or moved to someplace else and not merging with the North Stars). 

I don't know. However, without Finley as owner and with Bill Torrey as GM, their odds probably would have been a lot better.

3 hours ago, DnBronc said:

I don't know. However, without Finley as owner and with Bill Torrey as GM, their odds probably would have been a lot better.

Maybe the Seals are good enough that there is no need for expansion in 1991 to San Jose due to the Seals own the market. Maybe if Bill Torrey stays with the Seals, the New York Islanders are just another team stuck with constant losing seasons, never get successful and win 4 straight cup. Just a theory though.

0JZafhY.gif7YcM9pl.gif

qsNLfmj.gifbIW6GIL.gif

On 1/8/2018 at 7:58 PM, B-Rich said:

And San Antonio Dragons, San Francisco Spiders, Atlanta Knights, Las Vegas Thunder, & Indianapolis Ice.

The actual point here is, "Assume the IHL survived its poorly-thought-through attempt to compete with the NHL in the mid-90s,"

(One of the things this does is retcon the NHL's Sun Belt expansion, which was intended to kill the IHL, out of existence.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived