Alternate SPORTS! History Thread

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if Mayweather and Pacman fought 5 years ago? I think Pacman has aged a lot worse than Mayweather, and this would be a much better and closer fight. I never thought Pacman stood much more than a punchers' chance last Saturday, but I could see him winning it if they were in their primes.

That's still a close call, because Mayweather has proven in reality that he knows how to fight for judges. Even if Manny could've had a few more flurries into later rounds, Mayweather's defense would've been just as keen.

Not sure Manny could knock Mayweather out; I'm fairly sure Mayweather could yield enough points to win decisions.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

1995 NBA West Semis. Game 5, Rockets/Suns. Phoenix leads 3 games to 1. 8 seconds left in regulation.

Wesley Person puts up a 3 that was in-and-out, game goes to overtime, the Rasputin Rockets of '95 continued their never-say-die playoff run.

But what if that shot had gone in and the Suns won the series?

Houston doesn't repeat as champs. How is Hakeem viewed with only one ring, or Clyde Drexler with zero rings?

San Antonio- If they draw Phoenix instead of Houston, do they still win that West Finals? Does Barkley do to David Robinson what Hakeem did?

Orlando- If they face the Suns or Spurs in the NBA Finals, what happens of Penny/Shaq?

Someone's probably asked this but what if the Big 3 in Boston never happened? (KG stayed with T-Wolves, Ray Allen stayed in Seattle, Paul Pierce was already in Boston)

I believe KG would have gone to the Lakers ... probably for a similar haul that got them Gasol. The Sonics would have found someone to take Allen for draft picks as they were rebuilding. But, it's an interesting thought thinking of what a team with Durant and Allen would have been like.

Paul Pierce probably would have been traded at some point in the 2007-08 season.

1995 NBA West Semis. Game 5, Rockets/Suns. Phoenix leads 3 games to 1. 8 seconds left in regulation.

Wesley Person puts up a 3 that was in-and-out, game goes to overtime, the Rasputin Rockets of '95 continued their never-say-die playoff run.

But what if that shot had gone in and the Suns won the series?

Houston doesn't repeat as champs. How is Hakeem viewed with only one ring, or Clyde Drexler with zero rings?

San Antonio- If they draw Phoenix instead of Houston, do they still win that West Finals? Does Barkley do to David Robinson what Hakeem did?

Orlando- If they face the Suns or Spurs in the NBA Finals, what happens of Penny/Shaq?

If the Suns win that series, I see a San Antonio-Orlando finals, with the Magic winning.

With a title, I don't know if it guarantees that Shaq stays a year later, but it probably increases the odds of that.

Also, here's another angle: If the Spurs make it to the Finals, what becomes of Rodman? Does he still get traded?

In Super Bowl XXXIV what happens if a Kevin Dyson is not one yard short? Do they go for two or not? What's the aftermath of the Super Bowl?

Tennessee would kick in that situation. Fisher's too risk averse to even attempt going for two. No idea what would happen in overtime.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What if the Tampa Bay Stadium Committee decided to reject the St. Petersburg location of Tropicana Field and instead build it in downtown Tampa in the late '80's? Would that have helped their chances in landing the Mariners or Giants rather than having an expansion team? Could this have prevent the attendance problems like the Rays have now? And also, could it help increase the payroll for the Rays so they can keep their stars rather than letting them go ( David Price and Carl Crawford for example)?

1- During that time, the city of Tampa just approved to float $140 million in bonds for the convention center.

2-Throughout the 1980's, there was no talk or agreement for a downtown stadium. The city and developers were in the midst of seeing the marketplace/mall at Harbour Island fail downtown, and had worries over the new Performing Arts Center. More importantly, from 83-88, every time car dealer Frank Morsani reached agreement to buy into a MLB franchise, the privately funded dome was contractually designated to be on the corner of Dale Mabry and Columbus, about where Raymond James Stadium is now as it Tampa Sports Authority land.

In Super Bowl XXXIV what happens if a Kevin Dyson is not one yard short? Do they go for two or not? What's the aftermath of the Super Bowl?

Tennessee would kick in that situation. Fisher's too risk averse to even attempt going for two. No idea what would happen in overtime.

I have a good one for the Ram fan: What if Trent Green wasn't injured in 1999?

Rams make the playoffs (probably as the NFC West champ, but a 3 seed) They crash out at Tampa in the NFC Championship.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

My 1999 Rams What If: What If They had played Washington in the NFC Championship instead of that one-dimensional Bucs offense that made the 2000 Ravens look like Air Coryell?

Washington dies horribly. Their defense isn't nearly as good as Tampa's.

Today, we are all otaku.

Rams make the playoffs (probably as the NFC West champ, but a 3 seed) They crash out at Tampa in the NFC Championship.

The Sports Post covered this what if: http://thesportspost.com/blogs/view/no-48-what-if-trent-green-didnt-get-hurt-in-the-1999-preseason

I thought that they would still win it all, but that Trent Green would get hurt the next year, opening the door for Warner to make an impression in a few starts late in the year.

Then, after a few years, Warner would end up in Kansas City with Dick Vermeil.

What if Jerry Krause and Phil Jackson hadn't had a falling out? Would Jackson have been able to lead a post-Jordan Bulls to success?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

What if Isiah Thomas lost his job because he was sexist & was welcomed hired back by the Knicks to be president of their WNBA team?

I mean... WOULDN'T THAT BE WEIRD!?!?! ha ha ha he he he ha ha ha ho...

oh

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

What if Isiah Thomas lost his job because he was sexist & was welcomed hired back by the Knicks to be president of their WNBA team?

I mean... WOULDN'T THAT BE WEIRD!?!?! ha ha ha he he he ha ha ha ho...

oh

But....

what if the league/association came to their senses and denied this action.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

1994 NBA Playoffs. What if the Sonics don't get tripped up by the Nuggets?

If Kemp makes a few free throws or Robert Pack misses this game-tying three, how would the rest of the playoffs have played out?

Seattle draws Utah. Does Houston face Seattle instead in the West Finals? And could the Sonics have made it to the Finals against the Knicks?

Going into these playoffs, they had been making progressive steps- make playoffs in 1991, win a series in '92, almost made NBA Finals in '93.

Seattle draws Utah. Does Houston face Seattle instead in the West Finals? And could the Sonics have made it to the Finals against the Knicks?

Going into these playoffs, they had been making progressive steps- make playoffs in 1991, win a series in '92, almost made NBA Finals in '93.

I have a feeling that the Jazz would have knocked off the Sonics if they got by Denver, and everything else would have stayed the same.

1982 NHL Playoffs

In the first round, you had a near upset (Pens-Isles), and an upset (Kings-Oilers).

What if the Pens pull off the upset instead of the Kings?

Does the Oiler dynasty get started sooner?

Do the Isles bounce back, and have a longer dynasty?

What about the Pens? Does a long run in the playoffs prevent them from getting Lemieux two years later?

Archived