Alternate SPORTS! History Thread

What if the Vancouver Grizzlies drafted Steve Nash in 1996?

What if the Suns kept him and didn't trade him to Dallas?

Wouldn't have made much of a difference- he went back to Phoenix for his prime years.

Yeh, but I guess Dirk's first years would've been more diffucult without him.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a few hockey what if's.

what if the Maple Leafs made it to the 1993 Stanley Cup Final instead of the Kings. would they have won the Cup (or made it a better series maybe having the series go 7 games or was the Habs much better then the Leafs).

what if what if Patrick Roy was traded to someone else. would Colorado still win the Cup that year or would the Red Wings won in 1996 (and in 1997 and 1998).

what if Sabres won the Cup in 1999

what if the Flames won in 2004

so long and thanks for all the fish.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned... what if Donald Trump didn't sink the USFL?

would the USFL merged with the NFL.
a 46 team super-league (28 NFL teams, 18 USFL teams) in 1987 (year USFL folded) or would some of the teams have merged and the league be compressed to around 34 or 36?

a 46 team super-league (28 NFL teams, 18 USFL teams) in 1987 (year USFL folded) or would some of the teams have merged and the league be compressed to around 34 or 36?
I think ideally, the USFL wouldn't have gotten so big so fast. Somehow, I think the merged league would have ended up in the 30s.

I think ideally, the USFL wouldn't have gotten so big so fast. Somehow, I think the merged league would have ended up in the 30s.
Most likely the NFL teams wouldn't want to merge with any USFL teams which leads me to believe that those 18 USFL teams would shrink to 6. Resulting in a 34 team merged league which would be doable

What if Peter Pockilington didn't trade Gretzky? How many more cups would the Oilers win? What happens to hockey in California without the influence of the Great One in LA?

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

-What if the Pittsburgh Penguins never got the arena deal to build Consol Energy Center?

-What if John Spano hadn't been a fraud? Where would the Islanders be as a franchise now? (one I thought of after watching that 30 for 30 a while back).

-What if the MLB Lockout never happened in 1994?

-What if the NHL Lockout of 2004-05 never happened?

-What if the San Francisco Giants had moved to Tampa in 1993?

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

I believe I remember that Tim Duncan turned to basketball after a hurricane destroyed the only Olympic-sized swimming pool in his home country and that he, might otherwise, have been an Olympic swimmer. What if Tim Duncan had continued down that path and never got into basketball?

Would San Antonio have drafted Keith Van Horn instead? Maybe Chauncey Billups?

IUe6Hvh.png

what if Sabres won the Cup in 1999

what if the Flames won in 2004

I don't know too much about the Flames' Cup run, but for the Sabres' at least... would anything have changed other than the names on the Stanley Cup? Hasek probably would have still blown up a couple years later and demanded a trade. The Sabres' coach and GM were still with the team for another 14 years (roughly) after the Cup finals run, so losing didn't get them fired or anything. The Rigases would have still been flying La Femme Nikita around on the company dime, sending the team into bankruptcy.

There's many of these in NHL that I often think about.

1. What if the next six included Baltimore instead of Philadelphia as originally planned. Do the Flyers simple become a 70's expansion club?

IIRC St. Louis was the 6th team and was only added because the Wirtzes owned the Checkerdome.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived