Twins Uniform Update for 2015

OnWis97

Navy, red, and gold...probably will look similar to the '05-09 Nationals (though I wish the Nats would bring gold back). I wonder if they'll use a lighter shade of gold.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Navy, red, and gold...probably will look similar to the '05-09 Nationals (though I wish the Nats would bring gold back). I wonder if they'll use a lighter shade of gold.

Good point about the Nats. Twins will basically be this now:

nl_2009_washington.gif

ALykGdZ.png

The 2010 revamp was a colossal failure. The new wordmark was good, but that was it. The road jersey was underwhelming, and it was a terrible decision to pair it with a red-brimmed cap. Not only had the Twins never worn a red-brimmed cap, but they were copying the division-rival Indians. In redoing their wordmark and home jerseys, they immediately undercut both by wearing throwbacks, with a more unique and visually pleasing navy outlined in red, and using them for the very first game of the new era. I said it a thousand times, but they should have made everything on the home jersey navy outlined in red. That way there wouldn't have ever been a demand for the throwbacks. From the unveiling, it was clear the fans liked the throwbacks more, even though their new ballpark had a multi-million dollar giant logo scoreboard.

I don't like the pinstripes leaving, but the Twins definitely shouldn't be experimenting with adding gold at this point in their established identity. This will be a failure akin to the Royals adding black. It will last 3 or so years, everyone will hate it, and it will be removed.

I don't think it was a "colossal failure" but you make some good points. I kinda forgot about the road cap, which I suppose was meant to sell a bit more merchandise (I rarely see that hat at Target Field). I felt that the overall cleanup of the home jersey was great and the new road jersey, while not great, was an improvement.

You are right that the home throwback ended up undercutting it...I thought it was nice that they wore it on opening day but they should have dumped it after year one...then they wore it every home game for the remainder of the season after Harmon Killebrew died (in May?). And I have definitely felt that it is too present now.

Your point about the scoreboard is interesting. I've kinda wondered whether there may have already been a change to the throwback if not for that scoreboard wordmark.

I mean it was such a huge failure specifically because of the inclusion of the throwback which was immediately preferred to the new home jersey by the players and fans alike. That's how not to do a revamp. You don't put out a new brand while simultaneously reintroducing an old one and subsequently allow the players to choose to wear the old one more often.

Five years hasn't changed my opinion on the Twins' new set. Eliminate the road cap. burn the throwbacks, make all letters and number on the home and road jerseys navy outlined in red. You've got a huge improvement while still paying tribute to the throwbacks. I think they could have done a better job with the Minnesota wordmark, but it still would give them a great set which wouldn't need to be altered for another 20 years.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

This reminds me of when the Indians added silver. I can't imagine how it won't be garbage.

Absolutely. I mentioned the Royals and black, but the Indians with silver is probably a better example. Their silver set was awful. A thin silver outline sandwiched between the red and navy. It muddied everything. It looked white from any distance. It was included on the sleeve striping but not on the neck spoon. Worst of all with the Indians, it supplanted what was IMO one of the best uniform sets of all time, and their look has mired in crap since then. There's no way the Twins using gold will be anything other than a bad memory of a 3-4 year period where the Twins averaged 90 losses a season.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

This could end up realy good, though I dislike the current script and think that a more organic cursive script would be much better.

Sounds like they're totally changing the coloring around, so I would predict that a navy wordmark with red outline and yellow drop shadow. I am just guessing that by "gold" they mean "yellow". Either way I think it could work.

The cap is interesting though - not sure if they would just outline the TC with yellow, change the T to yellow, or bring back the M cap with a yellow shadow. That's probably the easiest way to add yellow. Too bad that hat sucks

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My Twins spiel:

The Twins should have everything in red outlines with navy as the base on white and white as the base on navy. Use the old tailed Twins script from the throwbacks, white, not cream. The TC monogram should be one color with a modified C, like so:

mK7oQc6.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As a Twins fan, the interlocked TC is untouchable. It's the one piece of Twins imagery that has remained the same for 50+ years, even when they wore the M hats it was on the sleeves.

Part of my trepidation with adding gold to the home hats is that as far as I'm concerned they're perfect as is.

I think the Admiral's color scheme (though I prefer red on white) would work with the current "TC" font. I think that would have been a great update for 2010.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The 2010 revamp was a colossal failure. The new wordmark was good, but that was it. The road jersey was underwhelming, and it was a terrible decision to pair it with a red-brimmed cap. Not only had the Twins never worn a red-brimmed cap, but they were copying the division-rival Indians. In redoing their wordmark and home jerseys, they immediately undercut both by wearing throwbacks, with a more unique and visually pleasing navy outlined in red, and using them for the very first game of the new era. I said it a thousand times, but they should have made everything on the home jersey navy outlined in red. That way there wouldn't have ever been a demand for the throwbacks. From the unveiling, it was clear the fans liked the throwbacks more, even though their new ballpark had a multi-million dollar giant logo scoreboard.

I don't like the pinstripes leaving, but the Twins definitely shouldn't be experimenting with adding gold at this point in their established identity. This will be a failure akin to the Royals adding black. It will last 3 or so years, everyone will hate it, and it will be removed.

I don't think it was a "colossal failure" but you make some good points. I kinda forgot about the road cap, which I suppose was meant to sell a bit more merchandise (I rarely see that hat at Target Field). I felt that the overall cleanup of the home jersey was great and the new road jersey, while not great, was an improvement.

You are right that the home throwback ended up undercutting it...I thought it was nice that they wore it on opening day but they should have dumped it after year one...then they wore it every home game for the remainder of the season after Harmon Killebrew died (in May?). And I have definitely felt that it is too present now.

Your point about the scoreboard is interesting. I've kinda wondered whether there may have already been a change to the throwback if not for that scoreboard wordmark.

I mean it was such a huge failure specifically because of the inclusion of the throwback which was immediately preferred to the new home jersey by the players and fans alike. That's how not to do a revamp. You don't put out a new brand while simultaneously reintroducing an old one and subsequently allow the players to choose to wear the old one more often.

Five years hasn't changed my opinion on the Twins' new set. Eliminate the road cap. burn the throwbacks, make all letters and number on the home and road jerseys navy outlined in red. You've got a huge improvement while still paying tribute to the throwbacks. I think they could have done a better job with the Minnesota wordmark, but it still would give them a great set which wouldn't need to be altered for another 20 years.

The original update was solid...HOWEVER, they allowed the throwback to become far too present. In other words, the intent was never to have this happen (and they should not have let it.).

I agree with all of your preferred changes. Road cap is not needed. Throwbacks dilute the brand (I like 'em but either go to them full time or dump them) and I love the idea of blue on red on the primaries. Would make the home jersey seem less "domey".

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Closer-up. The "TC" still has no gold (and no apparent improvement to the "C" problem).

POTD (Shared)

As a Twins fan, the interlocked TC is untouchable. It's the one piece of Twins imagery that has remained the same for 50+ years, even when they wore the M hats it was on the sleeves.

It's plenty touchable. The C looks too much like Cincinnati's and gets lost on the navy background. I think my few small changes would make it better. I didn't try to make it worse.

I prefer red on white

But lots of teams do red on white, and by giving white priority over red, you're doing something just different enough.

It's plenty touchable. The C looks too much like Cincinnati's and gets lost on the navy background. I think my few small changes would make it better. I didn't try to make it worse.

It really isn't touchable. For all the reasons jujubeans said. The color and border style could change, but switching to the one you posted with the different 'C' would really be a slap in the face to Twins tradition and fans à la the Islanders Fisherman logo fiasco.

ALykGdZ.png

I prefer red on white

But lots of teams do red on white, and by giving white priority over red, you're doing something just different enough.

I get that. And it makes sense. It just looks really weird to me.

I'd take it either way, though; The "C" issue needs fixing.

POTD (Shared)

Here's what I had in mind:

csAKyib.pngwJ7J7em.png

BtMf4Lw.jpg

Secondary logo.

The color and border style could change, but switching to the one you posted with the different 'C' would really be a slap in the face to Twins tradition and fans à la the Islanders Fisherman logo fiasco.

This is a grand overstatement, especially for a Minnesotan.

Here's some mockup possibilities of what we might be looking at.

I used both "athletic gold" (yellow) and "metallic gold" (tan).

twins2015permutations.png

From a historical standpoint it makes no sense, but aesthetically neither is a bad addition. Though if it spawns a "GFGS" trend then we have a problem.

The color and border style could change, but switching to the one you posted with the different 'C' would really be a slap in the face to Twins tradition and fans à la the Islanders Fisherman logo fiasco.

What? Why?

ALykGdZ.png

Here's some mockup possibilities of what we might be looking at.

I used both "athletic gold" (yellow) and "metallic gold" (tan).

twins2015permutations.png

From a historical standpoint it makes no sense, but aesthetically neither is a bad addition. Though if it spawns a "GFGS" trend then we have a problem.

I'm realling digging the top right wordmark, very subtle but adds a lot. Agreed with those who said that navy with red outline is superior. Here's hoping it'll be something like that.

ALykGdZ.png

I don't understand any type of assertion that the TC logo is not untouchable. If the Twins were to alter that mark at all, even casual fans of the sport and team here in MN would react to it. Any suggestion otherwise (especially by those who don't understand the culture of the Twins nearly as much as OnWis, jujubeans, and MNTwins) is quite honestly baffling to me

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

Here's what I had in mind:

Secondary logo.

That secondary does not meet my humorless standars...however, if it were to come about, an "St.P" on one hat and an "M" on the other.

POTD (Shared)

Archived