Uniform numbers that look bad

JasonFromMiami

Is there some kind of "conventional" positional number system in hockey that I don't know about? Mind you I ain't the most knowledgeable about the sport but I keep seeing things said about this so now I'm curious.

Anyway, even I thought this was strange for some reason:

496989.jpg

Even as a young'n I knew something wasn't quite right about a netminder wearing 60.

And actually...what is it about numbers in the 60s, anyway? Outside of football linemen they always seem a bit...strange. Particularly 61--a number I don't even see many linemen wear. I think Livan Hernandez and Rick Ankiel (?) are the only two I can remember who prominently wore that number.

(Of course, Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr are very prominent 60-somethings...)

Traditionally, goalies either wear 1 or something in the 30 range, defencemen single-digit numbers, and forwards 7 and up, but lower than 30. Nowadays, any number is fair game and you'll often see several players wearing high numbers, a trend started by guys like Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, etc. I guess it's because you stand out more wearing a unique number.

Myself, I wore 17 for the longest time in hockey, but I got 53 in summer hockey a few years back and I ended up deciding to make it my permanent number. My reasoning was that mentioned above; I thought it was unique and I'd stand out more. Also, if you look at some of the league's biggest stars, you'll see a lot of them in higher numbers, eg. Crosby (87), Stamkos & Seguin (91), Malkin (71), Karlsson (65), Kessel (81), Oshie (74), Skinner (53) and the list goes on.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally admire the creativity but can see why people disliked it.

TUZsMzm.jpg

These have long been a guilty pleasure of mine...these things encapsulate just about everything one needs to know about the '90s era of sports design.

This also gives me the chance to bring up another relic from the 90s, only because of something I noticed a while back...

TUZsMzm.jpg

68836b_lg.jpeg

Look closely...

If you can straighten out the waviness in your mind, you'll notice these two teams pretty much used the same font...the only two instances I can remember of this particular [style of] font being used in pro sports.

Speaking of the Motre Bames...as much as I loved that particular uniform set (much more post-'96), the "4" from that set was just inexcusable...

Nilsson_OnDeck.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Is there some kind of "conventional" positional number system in hockey that I don't know about? Mind you I ain't the most knowledgeable about the sport but I keep seeing things said about this so now I'm curious.

Anyway, even I thought this was strange for some reason:

496989.jpg

Even as a young'n I knew something wasn't quite right about a netminder wearing 60.

And actually...what is it about numbers in the 60s, anyway? Outside of football linemen they always seem a bit...strange. Particularly 61--a number I don't even see many linemen wear. I think Livan Hernandez and Rick Ankiel (?) are the only two I can remember who prominently wore that number.

(Of course, Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr are very prominent 60-somethings...)

Traditionally, goalies either wear 1 or something in the 30 range, defencemen single-digit numbers, and forwards 7 and up, but lower than 30. Nowadays, any number is fair game and you'll often see several players wearing high numbers, a trend started by guys like Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, etc. I guess it's because you stand out more wearing a unique number.

Myself, I wore 17 for the longest time in hockey, but I got 53 in summer hockey a few years back and I ended up deciding to make it my permanent number. My reasoning was that mentioned above; I thought it was unique and I'd stand out more. Also, if you look at some of the league's biggest stars, you'll see a lot of them in higher numbers, eg. Crosby (87), Stamkos & Seguin (91), Malkin (71), Karlsson (65), Kessel (81), Oshie (74), Skinner (53) and the list goes on.

HOCKEY_Ken_Hodge_Rangers_Host_Bruins_at_

I think Ken Hodge was the first to go past 50

In hockey, any goalie who wears a number that isn't 1 or 30-35

Today, it's mainly 29-34, but no 32, and 39-41 that seems normal to me.

#1 is really fading out for some reason (only 5 starters wear it this season, up from just 4 last season)

You forgot future HOFer David Clarkson.

TUZsMzm.jpg

These have long been a guilty pleasure of mine...these things encapsulate just about everything one needs to know about the '90s era of sports design.

This also gives me the chance to bring up another relic from the 90s, only because of something I noticed a while back...

TUZsMzm.jpg

68836b_lg.jpeg

Look closely...

If you can straighten out the waviness in your mind, you'll notice these two teams pretty much used the same font...the only two instances I can remember of this particular [style of] font being used in pro sports.

Speaking of the Motre Bames...as much as I loved that particular uniform set (much more post-'96), the "4" from that set was just inexcusable...

I'm not sure if I'm mistaken but the old blue Wizards jersey number fonts resemble the old Thrashers number font.

1324105499_rip5.jpg

karicolby.jpg

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

One of the little quirks I like about hockey is that skaters can wear basically any number and not look weird. You don't really get that in any of the other sports. Especially not soccer; even MLS, where there are instances like Clint Dempsey (2, seemingly usually reserved for a right back) or Bradley Wright-Phillips (99, usually reserved for the guy who gets a personalized shirt), it's pretty much a situation where if you start at a certain position, you have to wear one of three numbers.

On a related note, James Wilson freaks me out.

488462217-474406.jpg

- Minnesota Twins - Minnesota Golden Gophers - Dallas Stars - Dallas Mavericks - Norwich City FC -

- Texas Tech Red Raiders - FC DallasMinnesota Vikings - Borussia Dortmund -

1 is traditionally for goaltenders only. 30 through 39 are also used for goaltenders but can be used for forwards. Defensemen traditionally wear 2 through 9 but also numbers in the 20s and sometimes 30s but rarely 10s. Forwards wear whatever they want. No one wears 0 because it BSODs the NHL's statistical database. This is all customary; there are no rules about eligiblity, nor refs having to hand-signal players' numbers like college hoops.

Heralded draft picks tend to wear their birth numbers or numbers close to them: Crsoby 87, Kane 88, but Stamkos and Tavares are both 1990s who wear 91. Connor McDavid is expected to wear 97 and kill me I'm old.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

In hockey, any goalie who wears a number that isn't 1 or 30-35

Not even 39? Worn by one of the greatest goalies ever?

20140328-Hasek-Top.jpg

For me, goalie numbers are 00,1, 20, 30-40. 20 is because of Mike Vernon; I think that number would look very weird on any skater for some reason. And the great Freddie Brathwaite wore 40, so you have to include that! Actually, I think there's something about the "tens" numbers that make me like them for goalies, but 10 is too skinny for a goalie, and anything 50 or above looks weird no matter what.

39 isn't bad, its still in the 30s, but it does look a little weird to me.

You forgot future HOFer David Clarkson.

TUZsMzm.jpg

TUZsMzm.jpg

68836b_lg.jpeg

Look closely...

I'm not sure if I'm mistaken but the old blue Wizards jersey number fonts resemble the old Thrashers number font.

1324105499_rip5.jpg

karicolby.jpg

Although the Islanders "fisherman" jersey made The Hockey News Top Ten bad jerseys of all time, and was a total disaster along both Islander fans and throughout the league as well. I really liked the wave design on the jersey themselves. But the player and number fonts really got to me, they could have just reduce the size of them, made look like any other jersey and it would've been fine IMHO...

One of the little quirks I like about hockey is that skaters can wear basically any number and not look weird. You don't really get that in any of the other sports. Especially not soccer; even MLS, where there are instances like Clint Dempsey (2, seemingly usually reserved for a right back) or Bradley Wright-Phillips (99, usually reserved for the guy who gets a personalized shirt), it's pretty much a situation where if you start at a certain position, you have to wear one of three numbers.

Nonsense. The NHL is filled with players wearing cringe-worthy numbers. Anything above 50 is a "no" in my books, without exception. The worst part is that a large chunk of the league's stars are skating around wearing goofy looking digits, which will likely inspire a whole new generation of young players to prance around in 71s and 83s.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Yes but you also have to remember that more and more lower numbers 1-50 are being retired, so the chances of using those numbers are reduced...

Plus there are league restrictions as to what numbers can be used:

NHL : #0 and #00 can not be used because the computers wont recognize the number when statisticians input data.

MLB : #42 is retired by the League for the remembrance of the great Jackie Robinson.

Nonsense. The NHL is filled with players wearing cringe-worthy numbers. Anything above 50 is a "no" in my books, without exception. The worst part is that a large chunk of the league's stars are skating around wearing goofy looking digits, which will likely inspire a whole new generation of young players to prance around in 71s and 83s.

Watching the Habs must give you a headache also. At least there doesn't seem to be any more number retirements in the future...

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

I think most anything goes. There's rarely a number that makes me do a double take. I have some random numbers that I think would look weird (59 for some reason bugs me), but you can really get away with anything.

For the Sharks its anyone in the 40-60's as the Sharks do no typically allow high numbers and players must "earn" a lower number but sometimes they will stick with the higher number. But at the same time they hand out numbers in the 80's to younger players and it makes no sense.

Archived