Brew City FC (UPDATED 11/28... POLL ADDED)

illwauk

Recently, the Milwaukee Outdoor Pro Soccer Alliance held a series of votes to decide what a hypocthetical pro outdoor side in Milwaukee should be called. The name "Brew City FC" was chosen.

Personally, I would've preferred something with Milwaukee in the name, but I have always thought a great look for a soccer team in Milwaukee would be a white shirt with a red sash and blue shorts... it'd be a solid, traditional kit that would evoke one of the most famous brands to ever come out of Milwaukee, and the fact that the club would be called Brew City makes it all the more appropriate to use here.

I came up with 5 different designs of the same basic crest. I must say I'm leaning towards A & B as I feel the barley sprig takes this from being inspired by Pabst to blatantly yanked from Pabst, but you be the judge. C & C, please!

bcfc_badges_zps95c8d7ca.png

I really like all of these, particularly D and E. I do wonder how E would look if the "Brew City FC" and the barley sprig were switched. Also, am I seeing things or does the sash differ in thickness in C and D compared to the others?

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

I did reduce the size of the sash on C and D so the barley wouldn't overlap it.

I'm not opposed to tweaking any of these, either. I just wanted to get some first drafts out there before I went any further.

Personally, I think you need to have the barley in the design to tie in with the name. I'm not really sold on having the "cog" in the design though. It looks really out of place given the name.

The "cog" or gear is from the Milwaukee city flag, so it's not as random as a non-local might think.

us-wi-mw.gif

Still, I may try a version without the gear.

Personally, I think you need to have the barley in the design to tie in with the name. I'm not really sold on having the "cog" in the design though. It looks really out of place given the name.

The "cog" or gear is from the Milwaukee city flag, so it's not as random as a non-local might think.

us-wi-mw.gif

Still, I may try a version without the gear.

Yeah, I figured it had something to do with the city...I just don't believe it works well with the chosen name.

gYH2mW9.png

If you really wanna add another dimension to this, make that gear the outer shape. That way you won't have to focus so much on trying to make it a focal point of the badge...rather, by having the teeth as the outer shape, you'll have the civic symbolism you're looking for without "forcing" it...and add some dynamism to this at the same time.

You're onto something with the red sash. That'll give you a reason to add that across the front of the kits if you pman on designing some. That said, and it may just be because I'm in phone, but I think a slightly darker red might be the way to go here. And as for the silver...I think I'd prefer gold. True, that'd then turn this into Miller's colorway (and I know how you feel about the glorified p*$$water and all but still B) ), but I think that'd tie into the "Brew" part of "Brew City".

I think you might also try some barley around the outside of the shape rather than inside...??

(Unrelated point: good Lord Milwaukee needs to simplify that flag design...a LOT.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Here's my updated version. I decided to keep the Pabst colorway since it's the most iconic of all the traditional Milwaukee brews.

bcfc_small_zps086c6af8.png

@Buc: My plans for the kit definitely include the sash, and yes, Milwaukee needs a new flag in the worst way.

MUCH better.

I like how the text is offset like that...but a/ it needs to be larger to fill in some more space and b/ definitely needs a more substantial font. (All that artsiness around Milwaukee...man pleeze! Lol) In looking at your BC lockup, I'm seeing one of three ways you can go with that:

A./ Armada. The rounded tops/bottoms would probably fit right into that circle and give you a reason to utilize that to extend across the board here. (You could probably leave the "C" in the circle shape it's in to better.fill out the form.)

B/ Challenge yourself and either search for or recreate that germanic font the Brewers used for much of the '90s. Lord knows SOMEONE needs to bring it back. (I'm actually working on a rendition of that myself for an entirely different project.)

C./ If you want something closer in feel to the Pabst font without straight up using that, try either Fairplex or Dharma Slab (also known as the Philadelphia Eagles NOB font).

As for the barley..see if you can make it fill out its space more so there's not so much empty white space there. Adding more hops (leaves? Whatever they're called) should do the trick. Experiment with putting the text on top/barley on bottom and vice-versa.

Something else I just thought about...IF you can pull it off, see how close you can get that gear shape to looking like the cap to a beer bottle.

BottleCap_01.gif

The teeth of that gear and the "ridges" of a beer bottle look close enough together that you may be able to pull it off...sometimes ambiguity is great for a little visual interest.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

If you don't think Milwaukee is arty, then I CLEARLY have to take you to the Third Ward next time you come through here. :P

I'll definitely try to incorporate as much of your C&C as possible before the deadline.

Yeah I think you misread me there...I know all about Milwaukee's artsiness; that's what I was getting at when suggesting adding some more of its flavor into your badge, brother. :P And one really doesn't even need to ride through the Third to see it...just ride the 43/94 and you can see it from the overpasses...shoot the bridge work itself is something of a work of art. Love the way y'all got that setup, from the cream color of the soundwalls and pillars to the blue beams themselves, and the decor of the panels (some of which I delivered there, by the way)...something Indianapolis could stand to learn a thing or two from.

(But that's getting way off the point now.)

Looking forward to seeing your progression!

I like what you have. Have you tried a double ended barley version? I'm not 100% sure it will look better or not but it was definitely the first thing that came to mind. Either way, I really like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow it's great to see your work as one of the finalists! Great job on making it into the final six, illwauk! There's a very large chance that yours is going to end up the winner, and it'd be amazing to see a team play and go "I helped make that possible". Again great work.

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

Thanks for the votes of confidence, everyone!

Unfortunately, judging by the comments on the facebook page, it looks like a lot of people actually like the crappy cliparty badges... particularly the bottom middle one. But I suppose we shall see if that's actually reflective of the MOPSA as a whole.

Archived