2014 NCAA Football Tournaments

4_tattoos

No offense WizKid, I usually support the HBCU's in the FCS & Division II playoffs. But I just can't get excited over a 7-5 team getting an automatic bid. I went to Morgan State so I have some fondness to the school (transferred to Howard after one year), but I seriously hope the MEAC gets a second team in this year. Having Bethune-Cookman or North Carolina A&T with 9-3 records also in the tourney just makes the conference look a little better.

Side note: Savannah State University seriously needs to drop back down to Division II. Moving up to D1 has been a total disaster. Their football and basketball programs ("the money makers") have been whipping boys since moving up. Not to mention a reliable little birdy has told me that SSU was never financially ready for D1 athletics and still struggling to keep up on the financial side of things.

None taken and I'm just glad they got in. I'm transferring there next fall.

Also, you are totally right about Savannah. I just hope they get rid of their AD and his staff for setting them up to be embarrassed like that.

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truth is many of the Division 1 HBCUs can't financially handle being in Division 1. However, for many of those schools it's an ego thing. The situation with Grambling last year sort of exposed that. No way in hell would Grambling's board of trustees and administration allow their athletic program to drop down to D2 despite that being the best thing for them to do financially. Winston-Salem State was smart enough to drop back down after a few years of testing the waters in D1.

Don't want to go too far off topic though. This is a playoff thread.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

No offense WizKid, I usually support the HBCU's in the FCS & Division II playoffs. But I just can't get excited over a 7-5 team getting an automatic bid. I went to Morgan State so I have some fondness to the school (transferred to Howard after one year), but I seriously hope the MEAC gets a second team in this year. Having Bethune-Cookman or North Carolina A&T with 9-3 records also in the tourney just makes the conference look a little better.

Side note: Savannah State University seriously needs to drop back down to Division II. Moving up to D1 has been a total disaster. Their football and basketball programs ("the money makers") have been whipping boys since moving up. Not to mention a reliable little birdy has told me that SSU was never financially ready for D1 athletics and still struggling to keep up on the financial side of things.

Keep in mind, it doesn't help that in the last 5 years, Savannah State also has had to be in court for two discrimination cases in which white coaches were quickly fired.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/2010-08-04-savannah-state-lawsuit_N.htm

Nonetheless, they need to review their future just like Alabama State who has the new stadium and FAMU since Kellen Winslow, Sr. is about to f up his second HBCU athletic program after leaving Central State (OH) last year.

Second Round Division II matchups

Region 1:

• (1) Concord vs (4) West Chester
  • (2) Bloomsburg vs (3) Virginia State

Region 2:

• (1) Lenoir-Rhyne vs (5) Valdosta State
  • (2) Delta State vs (6) West Georgia

Region 3:

• (1) Ouachita Baptist vs (4) Minnesota-Duluth
  • (2) Minnesota State-Mankato vs (3) Pittsburg State

Region 4:

• (1) Ferris State vs (5) Ohio Dominican
  • (2) Colorado State Pueblo vs (6) Angelo State

Since the FCS unveils their bracket today, let's review how that is set up.

FCS (AKA 1-AA)

-24 teams (11 automatic bids and 13 at-large bids)

-The top 8 are seeded and given first round byes

-The first two rounds are on ESPN3 while the networks join in from the quarterfinals on.

Now, for some news and notes from my view point...

-Congrats to MIT. First ever playoff trip and they get their first ever win... too bad that big bad Wesley is next up. Hope you don't celebrate too hard, Engineers!

-One game isn't finished at the D-III level. Texas Lutheran and Mary-Hardin Baylor got held up be lightning in the area and will resume today at 11 AM (Central). Winner gets Linfield.

The FCS Playoffs start today. This year, I remembered to fill out a bracket.

My first round picks:

Fordham over Sacred Heart

Indiana State over Eastern Kentucky

UNI over Stephen F. Austin

Montana over San Diego

Southeastern Louisiana over Sam Houston State

Liberty over James Madison

Richmond over Morgan State

Montana State over South Dakota State

EDIT: 6 of 8 isn't too bad :D

Quarterfinals are set in Division II and Division III.

Division II

-Bloomsburg at Concord (WV)

-Minnesota Duluth at Minnesota State Mankato

-West Georgia at Valdosta State

-Ohio Dominican at Colorado State Pueblo

Division III

-Wartburg vs. Wisconsin Whitewater

-Linfield vs. Widener

-Hobart vs. Wesley

-John Carroll vs. Mount Union

NAIA does have a playoff system (16 teams). They're in the semifinal round at this moment (National Championship Game is in 2 weeks)

NJCAA works similar to the FBS in that it has bowl games and those decide it's national champion (This year, it's the Mississippi Bowl between #1 East Mississippi and #2 Iowa Western)

Picks according to my bracket:

New Hampshire over Fordham

Indiana State over Chattanooga

Illinois State over UNI

Eastern Washington over Montana

Jacksonville State over Southeastern Louisiana*

Villanova over Liberty

Coastal Carolina over Richmond

North Dakota State over Montana State**

Picks from real match-ups:

*Jacksonville State over Sam Houston State

**North Dakota State over South Dakota State

Division II semifinals

• Concord vs Minnesota State Mankato
  • West Georgia vs Colorado State Pueblo

Question. Does the NCAA rotate opposing super regions every season for the D2 semifinals? Seems like it would make a lot more sense for the two eastern regions (1 and 2) & the two western regions (3 and 4) to face each other. Especially now that the championship site is located in a more central part of the country.

Am I the only one wondering how many butts the Division II NCG can but in the seats of Sporting Park (or whatever the MLS stadium in KC is called)? Honestly seems like too big of a venue for D2.

Archived