• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last main driver from my generation growing up to leave the sport on a full-time basis. Some still stick around, like Bobby Labonte, part-time, but it's still crazy to think about. I'm curious as to whether Chase gets the 24 or maybe goes to 94. It would be nice of RPM to give up the #9 but it sounds like it won't happen unless the team some how folds up, which is doubtful under Petty.

Last main driver from my generation growing up to leave the sport on a full-time basis. Some still stick around, like Bobby Labonte, part-time, but it's still crazy to think about. I'm curious as to whether Chase gets the 24 or maybe goes to 94. It would be nice of RPM to give up the #9 but it sounds like it won't happen unless the team some how folds up, which is doubtful under Petty.

NASCAR owns all numbers, they give them to the teams. Team owners request numbers, but certain teams will have certain numbers (3 at RCR, 43 at Petty.)

I see Gordon doing some races in 2016 in the 24, with Chase doing some as well. I do wish, though, Gordon would do Eldora next year in a JR Motorsports truck.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

When Gordon "steps down from full-time racing", there'll be no active full-time driver from what may have been the best NASCAR race of the 20th Century; the 1992 Hooters 500.

The King retired that race; Dale Earnhardt died 9 years later, Rudd, Jarrett, Mark Martin and Terry Labonte all retired. Bobby still rides although a very minimal schedule; he'll most likely pack it in a few years.

Kulwicki and Davey Allison both died in 1993.

Yeah. I grew up HATING Jeff Gordon; because he always won (or always seemed to). Now that I'm grown up I don't really hate him anymore. And it feels like apart of my childhood is "stepping down" after hearing the news.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Jeff Gordon brought my eyeballs to the sport, if only on/off basis. He seemed to have more of a mainstream athlete vibe that most of the Winston Cup establishment wasn't used to. As a Canadian, a northerner lols, I liked that.

That's not just a NASCAR thing either... in the world of auto racing, I've always tended to gravitate towards the more sporting/athlete drivers rather than the good ole' boys or Euro pilots.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

When Gordon "steps down from full-time racing", there'll be no active full-time driver from what may have been the best NASCAR race of the 20th Century; the 1992 Hooters 500.

The King retired that race; Dale Earnhardt died 9 years later, Rudd, Jarrett, Mark Martin and Terry Labonte all retired. Bobby still rides although a very minimal schedule; he'll most likely pack it in a few years.

Kulwicki and Davey Allison both died in 1993.

Yeah. I grew up HATING Jeff Gordon; because he always won (or always seemed to). Now that I'm grown up I don't really hate him anymore. And it feels like apart of my childhood is "stepping down" after hearing the news.

I wonder where are all those Dale Sr "Gordon is ***" fans now? Oh yeah, hiding.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

This caught me by surprise. I thought he might have a few more years left in the tank.

But as a fan of a driver who hung on too long (Dale Jarrett) and someone who remembers a pair of revered drivers of that era who didn't hang on too long and went out nicely on their own terms (Rudd and Rusty)...

I'm really conflicted on this, but one thing I also noticed that with the schedule altered, he will get one more crack at one of his most successful races- Labor Day Weekend Southern 500 (5-time winner, 4 in a row, Winston Million)

All he needs now is a catchy name for this- like Rusty's Last Call.

Well in all honesty. I truly didn't see that coming. This was a shock. I'm not a huge fan of him but it will be odd to see a race where he isn't full time. Then again, he's had a lot of accomplishments. 4 championships, 3rd in all time victories, 77 pole positions. I can almost say that the first time that he will be on the ballot in the Hall of Fame, he'll be in, no question. Plus it's like Needschat said, you wouldn't have Tony, Jimmie or Kyle Larson. It will be an interesting season but afterwards, who knows? Although I can think we can almost agree that it won't take long to fill his position. It looks like Chase will be going up to Sprint Cup next season.

In the meantime, I'm sure Gordon is going to give it his all, for 5th championship, I think it would be neat if he rides off to the sunset with a championship.

baltimoreravens.png

Sure.... Why not?

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/26/nascar-considers-unveiling-2016-rules-at-sprint-all-star-race-in-may/?utm_network=facebook&utm_post=3358347&utm_source=FB%20-%20NBC%20Sports&utm_tags=

The Sprint All-Star Race often is described as a glorified test session for the Coca-Cola 600.

This year’s event at Charlotte Motor Speedway might be a test session for an entire season.

NASCAR heavily is considering using the May 16 showcase as a trial run of the rules package for the 2016 season and has begun informing Sprint Cup teams of the possibility, multiple sources have told MotorSportsTalk.

An official with direct knowledge of the All-Star Race proposal said Charlotte Motor Speedway and Sprint were supportive of using the 2016 rules because it also would prevent teams from getting a jump on preparing for the Coca-Cola 600 and increasing the likelihood of a lackluster race. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the plan wasn’t finalized.

But a potential drawback for NASCAR could be whether the sneak preview of the 2016 rules delivers a better version of the racing than with the current rules that will be featured over four hours the following week at Charlotte in the season’s longest race.

There’s no timetable for the decision on using next year’s rules in the All-Star Race, but NASCAR tested some ideas for next year during a session last month at Charlotte. More testing is expected to occur at Atlanta Motor Speedway next month and at Charlotte in March.

This year’s rules will feature a significant decline in downforce and about a reduction of about 125 horsepower. Another cut in downforce is expected in 2016, which will make cars’ handling more difficult.

baltimoreravens.png

That's a good idea. The NFL already tests rules out in the Pro Bowl... I think the NHL has tested little tweaks before in its ASG.

It works because it's not a points race + it invites actual Sprint Cup driver feedback.

When the NHL wants new rules, it tells the AHL or asks the CHL how things are going... without its own players getting a crack.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Via Jayski, it looks like Chase Elliot will be using the #25

28jcwsj.jpg

I like the design of the car, I just wish they could've gone with the same font that he has with his Xfinity car. Rumor is hist first race will be at Atlanta.

News came today that he will be taking over the 24 full time in 2016.

Let's hope between now & next year there's a backlash to him in the 24 instead of the 9 and it gets fixed....

From what I've read, Gordon wants him to drive the 24 and really, him, Chase and Hendrick are the only ones who's opinion matters.

I'm pretty thrilled Chase is taking over for Gordon. I can have a new favorite driver and don't even have to switch teams.

IUe6Hvh.png

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, today is the day folks, the shootout is tonight, qualifying is tomorrow & its the beginning of speedweeks in Daytona. I think from reading the reports & seeing practice, I think Kurt Busch has a good chance. Although, I'm pulling for Tony simply because, he's done everything but win the Great American Race.

baltimoreravens.png

Who's watching the Unlimited?

(no hands are raised)

Dammit'.

But I know it is too early,but who is gonna win the championship?

IMO,it will not be Jeff Gordon,but after the struggles of last year,Smoke is gonna win the championship.I know Smoke is not doing that good since the championship in 2011,but Comeback Road is on Tony's GPS.

Now if you excuse me,for the next three hours,I will be glued to my TV set watching the Unlimited.

2v1ao9y.jpg

TRhBP9N.png

YO2Xb6F.png

cubsfansig.jpg

I missed NASCAR so much. Wish I was at the Unlimited tonight but couldn't get the day off of work.

Hoping I can get down to Homestead to see Gordon's last full-time race!

As far as Championship picks... I'm hoping for Gordon but I think Harvick repeats.

IUe6Hvh.png

What a race tonight. Hopefully the 500 is this good. Well, minus the red-flag-palooza. Gordon seems to have 9 lives tonight. Danica seems to be the same, as they both seem to be dodging wrecks left and right.

Back under yellow with what looks like a GWC finish or a GGWC at that

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Archived