• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People losing their minds over Gordon being the honorary pace car driver? That's ALL he's doing, nothing more.

Yeah, I mean, how is this even a story? Here's from the article posted on his website...

“It’s great to have Jeff Gordon serve as this year’s pace car driver,” said Jim Campbell, Chevrolet U.S. vice president of performance vehicles and motorsports. “He is a true champion who has earned the respect and admiration of competitors and race fans alike. It will be very special to have Jeff lead the Indy 500 field to the green flag, behind the wheel of the most powerful and capable production car ever from Chevrolet – on a day he’ll also be competing in the Coca Cola 600 NASCAR race at Charlotte Motor Speedway.”

IUe6Hvh.png

Results from Talladega:

1. Earnhardt Jr.

2. Johnson

3. Menard

4. Blaney

5. Truex Jr.

6. Hornish Jr.

7. Newman

8. Harvick

9. Hamlin

10. Wise

What a race in Talladega, there is something about this track that I just love about it. I honestly thought most of thd contenders would've been knocked out after the big one, but guys like Harvick & Kurt Busch managed to come back! There was no clear favorite & even Ryan Blaney had a shot at the win. Anyone could've won this race!

Next up Kansas.

baltimoreravens.png

Seeing guys like Josh Wise tango with the big guns keeps the dream alive that the underdog can always have a shot to win.

The dates at Daytona and Talladega are dates in which the start-and-parkers/backmarkers circle on their calendar. A day that they could regret (like Landon Cassill did today) or they could end up walking out of the building with a Top 5 finish (like Landon Cassill did in the Fall race at 'Dega).

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Guys waited too long to make their move at the end. Should've made it with four or five left. Probably wouldn't have mattered, but would've made for a better finish!

Earnhardt had the best car today. Jimmie Johnson had a decent one but when Gordon fell back (and his car probably wasn't as strong as Jr.'s anyways), it was Jr.'s to lose.

At least NASCAR has decided to be somewhat consistent and let them race after these late race crashes the last few times... but it makes the Daytona finish all the more frustrating.

Good for Jr., though!

IUe6Hvh.png

I agree with you.If Blaney pulled out sooner,we would all be talking about one of the best upsets ever.

But I'm glad to see Jr. win.He hasen't won there in 11 years,when he "infamously" cursed on national TV.

The Hendrick cars were beast at Dega.Only 14 laps weren't led by the Hendrick cars.

2v1ao9y.jpg

TRhBP9N.png

YO2Xb6F.png

cubsfansig.jpg

Blaney really didn't have time to make a move because of Hamlin pulling the carpet out from under him.

If he makes a move before Hamlin, though, he probably takes Hamlin and Harvick with him. I believe Hamlin said he was waiting for Blaney to make a move but it just got too late.

But really, who really knows how it shakes up if they move sooner. Just would have made for a more entertaining finish, I think. Solid race, though!

IUe6Hvh.png

The last time Junior won at Talladega:

NASCAR's Cup was NEXTEL

Kyle Busch, Carl Edwards, and Denny Hamlin were not full-time drivers

Robert Yates Racing and Evernham Dodge Motorsports still existed

If he makes a move before Hamlin, though, he probably takes Hamlin and Harvick with him. I believe Hamlin said he was waiting for Blaney to make a move but it just got too late.

But really, who really knows how it shakes up if they move sooner. Just would have made for a more entertaining finish, I think. Solid race, though!

That makes sense. But with those three, you'd have Jimmie and Junebug blocking. (Jimmie leading the train and Junior blocking them.)

I guess maybe them going like they were shot out of a canyon cannon, perhaps Jimmie and Junior wouldn't have time to block (Oh BP we miss thou.)

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

STOOOPPP. Just the mention of Robert Yates Racing being gone hit me right in the feels.

My grandparents used to live so close to the Yates Racing shop (when they were still located in Charlotte) that we'd hear them testing engines. I don't know how many times we'd just walk into their open garage and look at the cars.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

The last time Junior won at Talladega:

NASCAR's Cup was NEXTEL

Kyle Busch, Carl Edwards, and Denny Hamlin were not full-time drivers

Hell you could say the team Jr drove for, DEI, still existed too.

Usually Robin Miller is onto something but this would be interesting....

http://www.racer.com/robin-miller-s-mailbag-for-may-6-presented-by-honda-racing-hpd?showall=1&limitstart=

Q: Miller, you can have my idea. A win-win for IndyCar, Danica's future, the Indy 500 and GoDaddy want worldwide coverage. Since the Indy 500 TV feed is seen around the world, put GoDaddy's marketing director on making a one-time ride at next year’s 100th running with Danica and a top team. She commented she wants another shot and always ran good at the Speedway. All parties would like all the coverage and media hype they get plus the TV time during the race. Everyone knows GoDaddy's colors! To me it would really jazz up the 100th running even more, plus IndyCar gets much needed publicity. It would put some more butts in the seats for the 2016 race. If you can sell it, don't forget me down here in Lawrenceville, Ga. Enjoyed talking to you at Barber. There is a future for IndyCar in the south.
Bob “The Old Man” Lauman

RM: It’s certainly a possibility but I imagine it’s contingent on what happens to her NASCAR career without GoDaddy. My southern spies tell me Miss Danica is headed to Roush Racing to join boyfriend Ricky Stenhouse in 2016, so who knows if Jack Roush is open to her running an Indy car. Like I said last week, I hear Clint Bowyer and 5-Hour Energy drink are headed to Stewart-Haas to take DP’s place so that eliminates Stew from bringing her to Indy. But I’ll try and get you 15 percent if she runs here again.

baltimoreravens.png

Usually Robin Miller is onto something but this would be interesting....

http://www.racer.com/robin-miller-s-mailbag-for-may-6-presented-by-honda-racing-hpd?showall=1&limitstart=

Q: Miller, you can have my idea. A win-win for IndyCar, Danica's future, the Indy 500 and GoDaddy want worldwide coverage. Since the Indy 500 TV feed is seen around the world, put GoDaddy's marketing director on making a one-time ride at next year’s 100th running with Danica and a top team. She commented she wants another shot and always ran good at the Speedway. All parties would like all the coverage and media hype they get plus the TV time during the race. Everyone knows GoDaddy's colors! To me it would really jazz up the 100th running even more, plus IndyCar gets much needed publicity. It would put some more butts in the seats for the 2016 race. If you can sell it, don't forget me down here in Lawrenceville, Ga. Enjoyed talking to you at Barber. There is a future for IndyCar in the south.

Bob “The Old Man” Lauman

RM: It’s certainly a possibility but I imagine it’s contingent on what happens to her NASCAR career without GoDaddy. My southern spies tell me Miss Danica is headed to Roush Racing to join boyfriend Ricky Stenhouse in 2016, so who knows if Jack Roush is open to her running an Indy car. Like I said last week, I hear Clint Bowyer and 5-Hour Energy drink are headed to Stewart-Haas to take DP’s place so that eliminates Stew from bringing her to Indy. But I’ll try and get you 15 percent if she runs here again.

Eh, NASCAR Silly Season makes my head spin. I don't think Roush would want the Danica + Stenhouse drama honestly.

And Bowyer leaving MWR? Don't really see that since Bowyer (despite Spingate 2013) is a rather good driver. Moving to Stewart-Hass though would be a beneficial move for Clint I think.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Archived