2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a strong sense that the Avs are going to be next in line to go back to basics.

If going back to basics means their original set, great. If it means a traditionally-striped jersey like their previous alts, it'll be a disappointment. They'll have a huge improvement over the current crap, but not nearly as good as the Blues' new set (which leaves a lot on the table). Sadly, I think the Avs will be the next team to reinvent the wheel, when they should go back to the first set and call it a day. The first set was pretty close to perfect. The only bad aspects (inclusion of black, color balance on the white jerseys) are the things they wouldn't fix, anyway. I think McCarthy did a mock-up of a cleaned-up set without the black. In lieu of fixing that issue, just going back to the Cup set would be perfect.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I have the same opinion I had on the Blues jerseys when the leak came out. That extra stripe they inserted on the sleeves, torso, and socks comes from nowhere. It no longer matches the shoulders or the numbering.

To me that stands out like a sore thumb.

These are a good set of uniforms, but they could have been nearly perfect. And it was right there in front of them. The exact uniform they pulled inspiration from had it right, and they changed it for the sake of change.

So while these are good, I will be annoyed by them for their entire existence. To me this reeks of amateur design. It's the sort of detail a good designer wouldn't overlook.

That's a good point, but even some of the best looks in the league have interesting inconsistencies that add a bit of charm to them. like the blackhawks difference in striping from the arms to the hem of the red uniform, the random red yoke and inconsistent hem stripe of the Canadians, and the unpredictable switch from the Stars home --> road striping.

I guess it was designed to be "imperfect" when it came to the Blues. The arm/hem stripes and the shoulder stripes were already going to be inconsistent, looking at how the shoulders go from mainly royal to mainly navy on the hem, so i guess they figured it didn't matter if it was *more* inconsistent.

I'm a fan, especially of the way the yellow now "pops" while it is muddled by the white in the pre-edge look.

That being said, is the stripe between the thicker yellow and white stripes on the socks Blue or is it Navy??

It looks navy. That's going to bother me.

Here are some stills of Oshie and Pietrangelo wearing them:

Oshie_Blue_BluesJerseys2222_slide.jpgPetro_White_BluesJerseys2186_slide.jpg

Actually, you know what my favorite part about these jerseys are? The fact that the bottom of the hem is completely navy, blending in with the pants. No longer is there that awkward curve of the jerseys that Reebok has "blessed" us with. The illusion of the good old flat CCM jerseys is now here. :D

Great point! I've always thought that the tail of the jerseys looked goofy. St Louis solved that problem nicely.

From the worst set in the league to arguably the best - well done! I thought I'd hate how the navy is dominant on the roads, but since it blends into the gloves and pants, the jersey ends up looking predominantly royal and blue on the full uniform. My only gripe is the total absence of navy on the road socks.

Worst set in the league? Really?
Yep.

I dont get the hate for the Blues jersey. I think it's one of the nicest in the league and by far the best uniform that the Blues have ever had.

Are you referring to their current duds? If so, hell to the no. I outlined everything that's awful about their uniforms here and here.

Thank heavens those God-forsaken monstrosities are history. It's now a toss up between Colorado and Calgary for the worst set in the league. I believe that it's just those two, Pittsburgh, and Ottawa remaining from the Class of '07. My oh my, how far we've come.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

From the worst set in the league to arguably the best - well done! I thought I'd hate how the navy is dominant on the roads, but since it blends into the gloves and pants, the jersey ends up looking predominantly royal and blue on the full uniform. My only gripe is the total absence of navy on the road socks.

Worst set in the league? Really?
Yep.

I dont get the hate for the Blues jersey. I think it's one of the nicest in the league and by far the best uniform that the Blues have ever had.

Are you referring to their current duds? If so, hell to the no. I outlined everything that's awful about their uniforms here and here.

Thank heavens those God-forsaken monstrosities are history. It's now a toss up between Colorado and Calgary for the worst set in the league. I believe that it's just those two, Pittsburgh, and Ottawa remaining from the Class of '07. My oh my, how far we've come.

Don't forget about Washington, even though I don't mind them personally. I supposed Vancouver and Arizona could be added to the list, though they are aesthetically simple. I personally I just find them incredibly boring.

Also, with the Ducks new set this year, Colorado is the only team left that uses a wishbone collar.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

The 'Bottom 5' now, IMO:

26. Pittsburgh

27. Ottawa

28. Colorado

29. Calgary

30. Washington

The 'Top 5' now, IMO:

1. Boston

2. Dallas

3. Edmonton

4. New York Rangers

5. St. Louis

Hey, quick question: how come I never hear complaints about Nashville (they're very similar to the Blues' old uniforms)?

Blues26.pngPredators13.png

Save for the hem stripe on Nashville and shoulder yoke on St. Louis they're essentially the same. Is there something about Nashville that y'all just find better than that of the Blues?

Personally, I like Nashville's unis but I never minded St. Louis' either.

For one, nobody cares about Nashville. For two, go back and read the thread when Nashville was unveiled. It certainly wasn't all positive.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Oddly, I like Nashville's. I think the hem stripes do make a huge difference.

I'd change the white version, though, so that the navy continued all the way down the hem.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I hate the arched piping that intersects with the hem stripes. Its like they couldn't decided on a design so they shoehorned them together. That being said, they are very close to having a solid set. Remove the piping & panels under the shoulders, put the guitar pick on both shoulders and they're golden.

Nashville has never looked better I think is the reason you hear less, the yellow makes them unique and I think a lot of people were just happy about that. I don't think there is a look in the league I'm more torn as to if I like or loathe.

untitled-6.jpg

For me, the biggest difference in the old St. Louis jersey and Nashville's is the hem stripe really does add balance, and the St. Louis yoke was terrible with that template. It feels like they tried to somewhat shoe-horn the old design for St. Louis on the new template and it looks sloppy and unbalanced. With Nashville, it certainly seems like they designed it with the template in mind. Of course, no piping would make the Nashville set even better.

Haha, you guys are funny. I've never heard of anyone complain about the piping, or "apron strings," on Nashville's jerseys; I was just curious as to why. I agree though, they would look better without them but I think they have a pretty decent uniform set.

Archived