2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unpopular opinion coming through, but the North Stars looked far better before the introduction of black.

I tend to agree.

My earliest North Stars Memories came with this uniform and the non-matching white uniform that had black stripes and the logo on the shoulder. For reasons (I assume), they had black trim on the home whites only for several years. I am not quite old enough to remember the white counterpart of the above and my all-time favorite.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I disagree. I think the addition of black made the Northstars. It provided the contrast that was missing from the original identity. They're like the Flames in that regard. Not BFBS but Black out of necessity. You can't just pair two bright colours along with white and expect it not to get washed out.

Difference is the North Stars kept black to being a trim color, and it worked great. Green and gold were still dominant in the scheme.

Whereas with the Flames, the black almost challenges the red for dominance in their look, and yellow was demoted to the trim color and their unique look suffers.

I think both the Flames and the North Stars looked great without black. The Flames in particular downgraded. Their 80s look would be top-5 for me right now.

This is a beautiful photo

I wanted to find it reversed...and there is a great one on the below link but I could not post it (see the far left thumbnail; includes the small center-ice logo at Met Center).

http://classicmnhockey.com/products/1979-1980-minnesota-north-stars-home-hockey-jersey

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

Unpopular opinion coming through, but the North Stars looked far better before the introduction of black.

Neal_Broten_1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1374100889

Neal_Broten_1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1374100889

My favorite look of all time. That's the team I grew up with in the early 80's. I have a picture of me in 1981 wearing my Bobby Smith jersey and my birthday party cake (with North Star logo and green and yellow icing) buried somewhere. I should dig them out and scan them.
Every time I went to play street hockey with my fiends they were all wearing Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Oilers, sweaters and here I come with my green and yellow North Star sweater. Even when I came across old childhood friends years later they always remembered me as the "North Star guy". I must have been the only fan in the GTA.
When I had the Coleco table top hockey game the first team I ordered was the North Stars.

bgxnqf.jpg

Totally agree on all counts. I remember the first time I saw the North Stars play in these classics, it was the '81 semifinals against Calgary. Two great uniform match-ups between a green team with yellow and a red team with yellow. Colourful, but clean and simple with block-style font. Not a single stitch of black.

If Minnesota can ever come to their senses and realize that they are a big-league hockey team and not an ECHL or a roller hockey team just by phasing out the "Wild" name(pun intended or not) and replacing it with a name like "Northern Lights" with green and yellow/gold, they would have a hot-selling brand.

NorthStars10.pngFlames01.png

I disagree. I think the addition of black made the Northstars. It provided the contrast that was missing from the original identity. They're like the Flames in that regard. Not BFBS but Black out of necessity. You can't just pair two bright colours along with white and expect it not to get washed out.

Sorry Morgo, but we are never going to see eye-to-eye on this matter. What should have happened back in '91 was phasing out the black and changing the kelly green to a forest green. Similar shade of green to what the Wild currently have. Nevertheless, I'm more than okay with either shade.

As for the Flames, the red in their original classics seemed a bit darker than the vintage uniforms that came back a few years ago.

Adding black to both the North Stars and Flames was like adding red to the Blues' uniforms. Less is more.

I agree about the flames, but I think the green and gold of the Northstars contrasts well enough on their own without the addition of black. It just muddies up the look in my opinion.

Adding black to the Packers or Athletics uniforms would be a sharp downgrade, and I don't see any difference here.

Sorry Morgo, but we are never going to see eye-to-eye on this matter. What should have happened back in '91 was phasing out the black and changing the kelly green to a forest green. Similar shade of green to what the Wild currently have. Nevertheless, I'm more than okay with either shade.

As for the Flames, the red in their original classics seemed a bit darker than the vintage uniforms that came back a few years ago.

Adding black to both the North Stars and Flames was like adding red to the Blues' uniforms. Less is more.

They absolutely should not have replaced kelly green with forest, that shade was the best part of their identity. Dallas made the switch and it was a mistake.

As for the Flames, I still maintain the below look was their absolute best. I don't see anything wrong with making black the secondary colour. If anything it makes the yellow seem brighter and stand out more while providing the appropriate contrast with the bright red. They just need to fix the jerseys and get rid of the flags...

iRzaD71.jpg

They absolutely should not have replaced kelly green with forest, that shade was the best part of their identity. Dallas made the switch and it was a mistake.

As for the Flames, I still maintain the below look was their absolute best. I don't see anything wrong with making black the secondary colour. If anything it makes the yellow seem brighter and stand out more while providing the appropriate contrast with the bright red. They just need to fix the jerseys and get rid of the flags...

iRzaD71.jpg

2004 flames jersey were the best. The retro set is too 80's, the one above is a modern classic. Should have never changed it.

iRzaD71.jpg

2004 flames jersey were the best. The retro set is too 80's, the one above is a modern classic. Should have never changed it.

Agreed.

The 80s set is too primary/bright.

This 2004 set is easily their best.

Yeah that it is the definition of a shoulder patch. It's a great complimentary logo and should be on their home and road instead of provincial and national flags.

Taking this time to announce my NHL concept series by giving a preview of the Flames - I have them basically dressed in their 2004 unis with that awesome secondary and their sweet sweet western style yokes. Keep an eye out in the concepts section for my nhl series which will be debuting whenever I feel like it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

So basically...if they fixed the striping on Calgary's home and roads to something more like '04, and replaced the flags with the alt roundel, their jerseys wouldn't be a problem anymore.

I suppose I'll throw my hat in as the minority in both arguments. I really like the North Stars with the addition of black trim. The original set was beautiful as well, I just like the early 90's sets the best. And Calgary, I have never understood the love for their 2004 look...at all. I remember at the time thinking that it was a serious downgrade. Weird shaped stripes, a 6 letter last name practically went shoulder to shoulder because of the huge letters, italicized numbers, and a huge black C. The drabness and darkness of that sweater sums up the entire early-mid 2000's. They had their own thing going on, and then they darkened the red so it looked like every other red team. I even liked their crazy late 90's jerseys more than those. I'll take the 80's Flames any day of the week, and for me, it isn't even a comparison.

It's bothered me that the names are two-layer but the numbers, striping, and flaming C are all three-layer. Two over three is a bugbear of mine, I can't stand that or any case where there are more layers to the names than the numbers they're above (but I don't think there are any cases of that, are there?). If you have three-layer numbers, you need to match that or just go single-layer. The Sharks do it too and it annoys me. It should be red-yellow-black inside to outside on the whites to match the numbers, then white-black-yellow on the darks because black letters on red aren't reasonable there, as the Flames found out early on with the 2004 set.

But really, the Flames should simply update their original set with just a few touches of black.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The font and outline issues really hurt the Iginla-era set. While I strongly dislike black as the secondary colour, I could maybe live with it if it weren't for the black crest -- that thing needs to be white.

Also, Morgo, it seems you've softened your stance on the Flames' Edge set. Any reason why?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

It's bothered me that the names are two-layer but the numbers, striping, and flaming C are all three-layer. Two over three is a bugbear of mine, I can't stand that or any case where there are more layers to the names than the numbers they're above (but I don't think there are any cases of that, are there?). If you have three-layer numbers, you need to match that or just go single-layer. The Sharks do it too and it annoys me. It should be red-yellow-black inside to outside on the whites to match the numbers, then white-black-yellow on the darks because black letters on red aren't reasonable there, as the Flames found out early on with the 2004 set.

But really, the Flames should simply update their original set with just a few touches of black.

I can only think of one (Steelers)

POTD (Shared)

Archived