2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

These were the Flames best jerseys. They should have been called the Alberta Flames. Then they could have kept those unis.

danbouchard.jpg

flamesmagicman.0.jpg

Further proof that the black added to the Calgary jerseys IS AN ABOMINATION! Bring back the 1989 Lanny MacDonald/Mike Vernon set and call it a day!

No thanks...

Bright red and yellow do not look good alone together. They are too bright and need black to add that contrast.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These were the Flames best jerseys. They should have been called the Alberta Flames. Then they could have kept those unis.

danbouchard.jpg

flamesmagicman.0.jpg

Further proof that the black added to the Calgary jerseys IS AN ABOMINATION! Bring back the 1989 Lanny MacDonald/Mike Vernon set and call it a day!

No thanks...

Bright red and yellow do not look good alone together. They are too bright and need black to add that contrast.

That's a myth. These guys seem to pull it off just fine

dd-johnosn.jpg

chiefs-redskins-football-robert-griffin-

danbouchard.jpg

flamesmagicman.0.jpg

No thanks...

dd-johnosn.jpg

There is barely any yellow compared to the Flames 80's uniforms. That's not a legitimate argument for compare and contrast. That's like saying the Edmonton Oilers and Chicago Bears have the same color scheme, both use blue, orange, and white, but the Bears have about the same amount of their secondary color as the Chiefs.

Also, the Atlanta Flames pictures are decades old, before high definition. Orange, red, and white, just bleed too much into one another. Much like the Detroit Lions, that Honolulu Blue and Silver are just as prone to bleed and blur. The addition to black helped both teams in balancing their color scheme.

False. The Flames had much thicker yellow striping than the Chiefs do so if anything that would make "bleeding" less likely as there's more of a clear delineation between the two colors than the Chiefs thinner striping. Higher definition TV's are only further going to mitigate any "bleeding" problems, not enhance them. That's ludicrous.

And the Bears are a navy blue team, the Oilers use royal blue. How does that comparison make any sense? The Chiefs and Flames have VERY similar color pantones.

As for the Lions, the addition of black to our scheme was one of the biggest downgrades the uniforms have gotten in our history. The blue and silver looked great together by themselves.

I swear its like some of you guys watch too much "Archer" and want thick black lines dividing everything.

danbouchard.jpg

flamesmagicman.0.jpg

No thanks...

dd-johnosn.jpg

The Chiefs are basically a red and white team...

Hence why everybody HATES their all red monochrome look.

danbouchard.jpg

flamesmagicman.0.jpg

No thanks...

dd-johnosn.jpg

There is barely any yellow compared to the Flames 80's uniforms. That's not a legitimate argument for compare and contrast. That's like saying the Edmonton Oilers and Chicago Bears have the same color scheme, both use blue, orange, and white, but the Bears have about the same amount of their secondary color as the Chiefs.

Also, the Atlanta Flames pictures are decades old, before high definition. Orange, red, and white, just bleed too much into one another. Much like the Detroit Lions, that Honolulu Blue and Silver are just as prone to bleed and blur. The addition to black helped both teams in balancing their color scheme.

I'll never understand this logic. It comes off as pure laziness to details when you say color schemes like this need black to seperate. Sure red and yellow are on the same end of the spectrum with hot colors, but you're to tell me that you, as well as most other people can't tell the difference between those two by just looking at them? Please... You must be color blind.

danbouchard.jpg

flamesmagicman.0.jpg

No thanks...

dd-johnosn.jpg

Both the Flames and the Lions never looked better than they did in 1989. The addition of black makes them look like the Carolina Panthers - even in HD.

The flaming C is light years better than the flaming A. LIGHT YEARS.

I like the Flaming C--great logo--but that Flaming A is one of the best ever in the NHL.

While having their farm team in California has some real advantages the farm team in Adirondack allowed them to use the Flaming A--which they should also have done in Abbotsford.

^Can we at least agree that the San Jose Sharks need teal pants to match the old California Golden Seals uniforms? Imagine how cool the Sharks would look with teal pants and teal helmets!!

seals_display_image.jpg?1275632566

In my opinion--those were the Seals' worst uniforms.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Still unable to find records of William T. Sherman marching through western Canada and burning it down.

Those aren't the only flames that ever existed...

Lots of places in the world have flames for a variety of reasons.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

False. The Flames had much thicker yellow striping than the Chiefs do so if anything that would make "bleeding" less likely as there's more of a clear delineation between the two colors than the Chiefs thinner striping. Higher definition TV's are only further going to mitigate any "bleeding" problems, not enhance them. That's ludicrous.

And the Bears are a navy blue team, the Oilers use royal blue. How does that comparison make any sense? The Chiefs and Flames have VERY similar color pantones.

As for the Lions, the addition of black to our scheme was one of the biggest downgrades the uniforms have gotten in our history. The blue and silver looked great together by themselves.

I swear its like some of you guys watch too much "Archer" and want thick black lines dividing everything.

tumblr_ldologYbFM1qcpdqto1_400.jpg

I disagree, red and green are very different in that regard. Golden yellow blends a lot more with red than green. Nobody ever says that this jersey needs black:

pat%20lafontaine%20buffalo%20sabres.jpg

Thankfully not. The only thing this jersey needs is a comeback.

"If Minnesota can ever come to their senses and realize that they are a big-league hockey team and not an ECHL or a roller hockey team just by phasing out the "Wild" name(pun intended or not) and replacing it with a name like "Northern Lights" with green and yellow/gold, they would have a hot-selling brand."

I completely agree with you on the Flames and the North Stars. No black and no angled fonts. Nice and clean, even though I am a fan of the late 80's North Star jerseys. I think they could rename themselves the North Stars and even with the Dallas Stars, I think they would do just fine.

I disagree. I think the addition of black made the Northstars. It provided the contrast that was missing from the original identity. They're like the Flames in that regard. Not BFBS but Black out of necessity. You can't just pair two bright colours along with white and expect it not to get washed out.

I don't think the black made the North Stars. I think their logo, and the Kelly Green and Gold are what made the North Stars. The late 80's North Star jersey are quite nice, and I like those the best, especially the stars on the pants but I think they looked quite nice without black too. As for the Flames, their Throwback Jersey blows all of their black-using jerseys out of the water.

Avs need a new uniform bad. They need to get rid of those ugly piping on the edge ones

They have at least one new one coming next year!!! :D Hopefully it is a sign of good things to come.

As for the Flames, I still maintain the below look was their absolute best. I don't see anything wrong with making black the secondary colour. If anything it makes the yellow seem brighter and stand out more while providing the appropriate contrast with the bright red. They just need to fix the jerseys and get rid of the flags...

iRzaD71.jpg

I agree with you on Dallas, however, that jersey is nowhere near as good as the 1989 jerseys. The Flames should own red and gold. This jersey is so dark and dreary and the bottom striping looks so clunky. I just do not understand how so many people have a love affair for the 2004 Flames jerseys. They aren't classic and there's way too much black. Calgary does not need black and they look far better without it.

I suppose I'll throw my hat in as the minority in both arguments. I really like the North Stars with the addition of black trim. The original set was beautiful as well, I just like the early 90's sets the best. And Calgary, I have never understood the love for their 2004 look...at all. I remember at the time thinking that it was a serious downgrade. Weird shaped stripes, a 6 letter last name practically went shoulder to shoulder because of the huge letters, italicized numbers, and a huge black C. The drabness and darkness of that sweater sums up the entire early-mid 2000's. They had their own thing going on, and then they darkened the red so it looked like every other red team. I even liked their crazy late 90's jerseys more than those. I'll take the 80's Flames any day of the week, and for me, it isn't even a comparison.

I could not agree more. No other Flames jersey has come close to the 80's Flames. If they want to keep black, keep their third jersey, or make a black alternate. Red and Gold is such a nice color scheme. The Flames' Throwbacks and the Chiefs Uniforms have proved that and they look fantastic. The Lions are yet another victim of adding black, though I think they wouldn't look too bad with a little bit of Navy Blue added to their 80's uniforms. There are times where I do agree that some teams could use a darker color for contrast, however, I do not think for a second that the Flames or the Chiefs need black. I think this whole contrast chit chat gets a little carried away sometimes. I think the North Stars' late 80's jerseys are awesome. I think they looked good with black, whereas the Flames, well, not so much. A lot of people seem to really prefer darker looks. The 2000's Flames, the black Flyers, black and red Sabres, black and even the black and purple era Los Angeles Kings. I understand people like those looks but when I look at the late 90's, the 2000's, and even now, a lot of the uniqueness of colours and jerseys disappeared for a while. I can't believe I grew up in the 2000's. I'm so glad more teams are waking up and smelling the roses in the NHL now. I just hope the Capitals and the Penguins follow suit next season.

You say a lot of uniqueness in color was gone from jerseys in the late 90's/early 2000's, but you want the pens to wear the same colors as boston and the caps to wear the same colors as the canadiens/rangers? I think the caps best most unique look was the blue/bronze, and even though I love yellow gold pens, they should stick with the vegas gold for identities sake at this point, just improve the striping.

I have to agree with Chewbacca about the Flames & North Stars.

While a bit of black wasn't necessarily a horrible thing--and I'd be okay with as an alternate--I do prefer their looks without black.

I've owned three NHL jerseys in my life (outgrew one, one fell apart & the third I gave away)

Montreal Canadiens, Calgary Flames (original look) & Minnesota North Stars (69-72style) --not a drop of black on any of them.

(Well maybe on a tag or label)

Two were gifts & one I got at a store with older designs.

Actually I got all of them after the teams had changed their look (even the Habs have tweaked things a bit)

You say a lot of uniqueness in color was gone from jerseys in the late 90's/early 2000's, but you want the pens to wear the same colors as boston and the caps to wear the same colors as the canadiens/rangers? I think the caps best most unique look was the blue/bronze, and even though I love yellow gold pens, they should stick with the vegas gold for identities sake at this point, just improve the striping.

The Penguins Throwback looks very different from Boston's Jerseys, even with the same colors. As for the Capitals, their throwbacks are awesome because they have the stars on top, and the Royal Blue and Red look so good together and, they remind me of the old Soviet Jerseys. The Red Throwback's white yoke looks so nice and I know their white throwback is similar to Montreal's white jersey but the Capitals have more than enough differences to tell the two apart. Washington's Original Jerseys look like a team from Washington. Red, blue, and white is as American as you can get and remember, Washington is the Capital of the United States, afterall. (Which I'm not saying you didn't know that. If you honestly didn't, I would be blown away, I'm not going to lie.) Yes, I do agree, Washington's most unique color scheme was the blue and bronze, however, those throwbacks are so much nicer. Actually, I would argue that with the white yoke, and the stars across the chest, that their Original Red Jersey was the most unique.

The Penguins Throwback looks very different from Boston's Jerseys, even with the same colors. As for the Capitals, their throwbacks are awesome because they have the stars on top, and the Royal Blue and Red look so good together and, they remind me of the old Soviet Jerseys. The Red Throwback's white yoke looks so nice and I know their white throwback is similar to Montreal's white jersey but the Capitals have more than enough differences to tell the two apart. Washington's Original Jerseys look like a team from Washington. Red, blue, and white is as American as you can get and remember, Washington is the Capital of the United States, afterall. (Which I'm not saying you didn't know that. If you honestly didn't, I would be blown away, I'm not going to lie.) Yes, I do agree, Washington's most unique color scheme was the blue and bronze, however, those throwbacks are so much nicer. Actually, I would argue that with the white yoke, and the stars across the chest, that their Original Red Jersey was the most unique.

Of course I know washington is the capital of america, it's in there name! However when i was a litle kid I always used to think ny was the capital of u.s and toronto was the capital of canada.

I like the red/white/blue scheme for washington, but i think the rangers/canadiens use it better, not saying their look isn't good, it is, but it looks dated, unlike mtl/ny. At least i can appreciate them trying to update their color scheme with a darker shade of blue.

I wouldn't say the pens/bruins don't look the same, when your color scheme and even color balance is almost the exact same it's hard not to draw comparison, heck the pens retro socks are the exact same as the bruins third socks. It's probably why bruins made a big deal about pens using their color scheme in the 80s. I think they should include some silver/grey like they had in the jagr/straka era black jersey to distance themselves from boston since they are steel city.

Archived