Chewbacca

2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

You say a lot of uniqueness in color was gone from jerseys in the late 90's/early 2000's, but you want the pens to wear the same colors as boston and the caps to wear the same colors as the canadiens/rangers? I think the caps best most unique look was the blue/bronze, and even though I love yellow gold pens, they should stick with the vegas gold for identities sake at this point, just improve the striping.

I have to agree with Chewbacca about the Flames & North Stars.

While a bit of black wasn't necessarily a horrible thing--and I'd be okay with as an alternate--I do prefer their looks without black.

I've owned three NHL jerseys in my life (outgrew one, one fell apart & the third I gave away)

Montreal Canadiens, Calgary Flames (original look) & Minnesota North Stars (69-72style) --not a drop of black on any of them.

(Well maybe on a tag or label)

Two were gifts & one I got at a store with older designs.

Actually I got all of them after the teams had changed their look (even the Habs have tweaked things a bit)

You say a lot of uniqueness in color was gone from jerseys in the late 90's/early 2000's, but you want the pens to wear the same colors as boston and the caps to wear the same colors as the canadiens/rangers? I think the caps best most unique look was the blue/bronze, and even though I love yellow gold pens, they should stick with the vegas gold for identities sake at this point, just improve the striping.

The Penguins Throwback looks very different from Boston's Jerseys, even with the same colors. As for the Capitals, their throwbacks are awesome because they have the stars on top, and the Royal Blue and Red look so good together and, they remind me of the old Soviet Jerseys. The Red Throwback's white yoke looks so nice and I know their white throwback is similar to Montreal's white jersey but the Capitals have more than enough differences to tell the two apart. Washington's Original Jerseys look like a team from Washington. Red, blue, and white is as American as you can get and remember, Washington is the Capital of the United States, afterall. (Which I'm not saying you didn't know that. If you honestly didn't, I would be blown away, I'm not going to lie.) Yes, I do agree, Washington's most unique color scheme was the blue and bronze, however, those throwbacks are so much nicer. Actually, I would argue that with the white yoke, and the stars across the chest, that their Original Red Jersey was the most unique.

The Penguins Throwback looks very different from Boston's Jerseys, even with the same colors. As for the Capitals, their throwbacks are awesome because they have the stars on top, and the Royal Blue and Red look so good together and, they remind me of the old Soviet Jerseys. The Red Throwback's white yoke looks so nice and I know their white throwback is similar to Montreal's white jersey but the Capitals have more than enough differences to tell the two apart. Washington's Original Jerseys look like a team from Washington. Red, blue, and white is as American as you can get and remember, Washington is the Capital of the United States, afterall. (Which I'm not saying you didn't know that. If you honestly didn't, I would be blown away, I'm not going to lie.) Yes, I do agree, Washington's most unique color scheme was the blue and bronze, however, those throwbacks are so much nicer. Actually, I would argue that with the white yoke, and the stars across the chest, that their Original Red Jersey was the most unique.

Of course I know washington is the capital of america, it's in there name! However when i was a litle kid I always used to think ny was the capital of u.s and toronto was the capital of canada.

I like the red/white/blue scheme for washington, but i think the rangers/canadiens use it better, not saying their look isn't good, it is, but it looks dated, unlike mtl/ny. At least i can appreciate them trying to update their color scheme with a darker shade of blue.

I wouldn't say the pens/bruins don't look the same, when your color scheme and even color balance is almost the exact same it's hard not to draw comparison, heck the pens retro socks are the exact same as the bruins third socks. It's probably why bruins made a big deal about pens using their color scheme in the 80s. I think they should include some silver/grey like they had in the jagr/straka era black jersey to distance themselves from boston since they are steel city.

Of course I know washington is the capital of america, it's in there name! However when i was a litle kid I always used to think ny was the capital of u.s and toronto was the capital of canada.

I like the red/white/blue scheme for washington, but i think the rangers/canadiens use it better, not saying their look isn't good, it is, but it looks dated, unlike mtl/ny. At least i can appreciate them trying to update their color scheme with a darker shade of blue.

I wouldn't say the pens/bruins don't look the same, when your color scheme and even color balance is almost the exact same it's hard not to draw comparison, heck the pens retro socks are the exact same as the bruins third socks. It's probably why bruins made a big deal about pens using their color scheme in the 80s. I think they should include some silver/grey like they had in the jagr/straka era black jersey to distance themselves from boston since they are steel city.

Pittsburgh had black and gold first, it's in our city flag, it's used by all our teams. Boston can go pound salt if they want us to change our colors.

Personally, I think the Flames look great with black. The use of black makes the logo/number/NOB and stripes look "charred" on the red sweater, which if you think about it, is pretty appropriate.

The inclusion of black also rounds out the color scheme. Without it, the bright shades of red, yellow and white just vibrate against each other in eye-searing fashion. While I generally like bright colors, I feel like they have to be toned down with some darker supporting colors in hockey because otherwise they look garish on such a bright playing surface. It's the same reason why I dislike the Islanders' and Oilers' current uniforms.

Finally, for whatever reason, I tend to like black logos/numbers/NOBs on light-colored jerseys in general. It's why I also liked the blue Mets BP jerseys with the black script/numbers/NOB, and why I like the Jaguars' current teal jerseys with black numbers/NOB. It's a design choice that doesn't have any business working but rarely fails to look good.

The inclusion of black also rounds out the color scheme. Without it, the bright shades of red, yellow and white just vibrate against each other in eye-searing fashion. While I generally like bright colors, I feel like they have to be toned down with some darker supporting colors in hockey because otherwise they look garish on such a bright playing surface. It's the same reason why I dislike the Islanders' and Oilers' current uniforms.

Perfectly put. The 80's set would fare much better if it had consistent striping pattern. I think the reason the 04 set gets so much love is because it's the first and only instance of the Flames having a consistently striped & crested set without obtrusive & unnecessary design elements like "podiums," piping and flags.

Even the 2004 uniforms weren't totally consistent: the road sweaters had a striped V-neck collar whereas the home sweaters had a one-color lace-up collar.

To be honest, even the current uniforms would be fine with some simplification (no flags, no piping, no pit-stains, no unnecessary hem striping in between the side panels). The core of the uniform is fine: the sleeve stripes haven't changed much, the collars are finally standardized, and the side panels that match up with the pants stripes are a unique element in hockey. Unfortunately, Reebok couldn't help themselves and forced in a bunch of extra crap that dragged a great uniform set down to a mediocre one at best.

Good:

moQ9DHt.png

Crap:

DrCPjwn.png

i like that flames concept, maybe even more than the 04 set cause the black isn't overbearing. But i would keep the pants the same for the white jersey.

While that's a monumental improvement, I still don't like the side panels. I also don't like the idea of them having two pant shells to accommodate said side panels. Give them straight hemstripes and solid black pants and you've got perfection.

Even the 2004 uniforms weren't totally consistent: the road sweaters had a striped V-neck collar whereas the home sweaters had a one-color lace-up collar.

To be honest, even the current uniforms would be fine with some simplification (no flags, no piping, no pit-stains, no unnecessary hem striping in between the side panels). The core of the uniform is fine: the sleeve stripes haven't changed much, the collars are finally standardized, and the side panels that match up with the pants stripes are a unique element in hockey. Unfortunately, Reebok couldn't help themselves and forced in a bunch of extra crap that dragged a great uniform set down to a mediocre one at best.

Good:

moQ9DHt.png

Crap:

DrCPjwn.png

Sorry dude but, that is just as bad.

While that's a monumental improvement, I still don't like the side panels. I also don't like the idea of them having two pant shells to accommodate said side panels. Give them straight hemstripes and solid black pants and you've got perfection

Make their Throwbacks their home jerseys and bring back their white jersey from 1989 and you've got perfection.

I would agree it's not a good uniform--but it is not as bad.

It doesn't have the piping.

I hate piping on hockey & football uniforms.

It's okay on some baseball uniforms & maybe some basketball...

And that's about it.

And that's about it.

I agree, it's not as bad, but, that is just not enough of a change to improve the Flames.

And that's about it.

I agree, it's not as bad, but, that is just not enough of a change to improve the Flames.

I'd accept losing the piping, but I'd like to see more change...

And that's about it.

I'd accept losing the piping, but I'd like to see more change...

You and me both.

moQ9DHt.png

The red pants stripe might be a bit much, but these minor tweaks are a huge improvement. Losing all the unnecessary clutter helps make the side panels look decent. I'd be totally OK with this.

[pic]

The red pants stripe might be a bit much, but these minor tweaks are a huge improvement. Losing all the unnecessary clutter helps make the side panels look decent. I'd be totally OK with this.

Except it doesn't remove all the unnecessary clutter: the weird-ass side panels remain. I fear that, instead of actually cleaning up their look (like the Blues did), Calgary and Colorado will just tweak their looks, say "good enough", and call it a day.

[pic]

Except it doesn't remove all the unnecessary clutter: the weird-ass side panels remain. I fear that, instead of actually cleaning up their look (like the Blues did), Calgary and Colorado will just tweak their looks, say "good enough", and call it a day.

I hope that isn't the case. That would suck. As you say this, I think Colorado in the next two to three years will finally part ways with their awful jerseys. I have a feeling that their new third jersey might end up being really nice, to the point where it replaces their trainwreck home and away jerseys. As I say that, it ends up being the new Turd Burger of the NHL. XD As for Calgary, I honestly don't think they even care. When they made their Throwback Jersey their new alternate a few years back, a lot of people thought they were going to finally get rid of their awful primaries but instead, they switched that jersey for their new alternate, which isn't too bad for an alternate, however, they failed to get rid of their home/away jerseys, which is a massive headscratcher for all of us, whether we think the Flames look better with or without black.