2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

Any idea what jersey this might be?

yVoumO7.jpg

1994 US Olympic Hockey Team. That's Darby Hendrickson in the jersey.

You're right, I'm wrong.

Interesting that they reused the same uniforms from the 91 Canada Cup.

Still better than those abominations from the 96 world cup.

bdd5d14ef91e4c2d.jpg

5amlwx.jpg

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy from icethetics (very reliable) says he has seen the Blues new home jersey (via twitter). Says it is an upgrade. Im guessing it looks something like their pre edge jersey.

Hope so. Sadly, I'm expecting a bland and derivative look instead like most recent NHL changes have been.

So you think everything has to be jazzed up in a way? Should the Red Wings, Blackhawks, or Rangers change now? I'm sure Stillman (the owner) will get it right. I'll take something that's timeless any day, which that seems to be the aim.
Their pre-Edge look was hardly "jazzed up" but looked good and was identifiably theirs.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

yVoumO7.jpg

You're right, I'm wrong.

bdd5d14ef91e4c2d.jpg

Those USA jerseys were used from at least the 1988 Olympics onto the 1996 World Cup.

yVoumO7.jpg

You're right, I'm wrong.

bdd5d14ef91e4c2d.jpg

Abominations? I'd proudly wear that '96 WCOH jersey any day of the week over the garbage Nike throws out on the ice nowadays. The whites and blues are both pure awesomeness.

You're right, I'm wrong.

bdd5d14ef91e4c2d.jpg

Abominations? I'd proudly wear that '96 WCOH jersey any day of the week over the garbage Nike throws out on the ice nowadays. The whites and blues are both pure awesomeness.

Unpopular opinion I suppose.

Pretty much every uniform from the 96 world cup is an eyesore.

5amlwx.jpg

Off topic right now, but I wondered if anybody had heard anything about this. I'm reading Eddie Shore: And That Old Time Hockey by C. Michael Haim, and he has an aside to Howie Morenz's time with the Chicago Black Hawks. Right after talking about the 1936-37 All Americans failure, he says,

[Frederic] McLaughlin had earlier let his wife, Irene, design the Chicago uniform, and, according to reports, she "spent considerable time in museums and art galleries studying the war paint, feathers, and art of the original Black Hawk Indians. Then she incorporated her findings into her husband's team's uniform. As a final touch she had specially made hockey gloves with tessellated doodads similar to those worn by Buffalo Bill." One night [Howie] Morenz had sheepishly shown Frank Patrick the gloves and said, sadly, "You never thought, Frank, did you, that I'd finish my career rigged out like this?"

That WOULD explain the major change in uniforms:

1936-37 1937-38

Blackhawks08.pngBlackhawks09.png

But tassels on the gloves? Tell me a photo of this exists somewhere! Anybody confirm this story?

Note it doesn't say "tassellated", it says "tessellated". This means there wasn't fringe on the gloves, but likely some sort patterned design made of geometric shapes. The triangular inserts on the 1936-37 pants may lend some insight into this.

In one of my hockey history books it shows a picture of a Black Hawk player wearing the 1936/37 uniform posing for the cameraman and the gloves he was wearing had a fringed look.to it. The caption under the picture said something like "(players name) wearing the new Hawks uniform. The team wore fringed gloves and art deco style pants to compliment their new sweater". Or something like that. I'm paraphrasing since its been years since I leafed through that book so I'm going by memory here. But they defiantly had unique looking gloves.

EDIT: Google searching I found the pic online

64c0848465dade8f05144fd73a55a7014b6e24fb

The fancy stripes on the socks and the striping on the pants match but the gloves don't really look tessellated do they unless you go by corrugated tessellation.

This little back-and-forth leads me to believe this may have been the birth of what I'd refer to as "backhand dots" as showcased on these modern-day Winnwell mitts:

Winnwell-GX-6-Hockey-Gloves.jpg

That v-shaped pattern used to be very commonplace back in the day.

Those babies looked so badass when I played for the Jr. Kingfish. The black parts were blue and the white parts were grey though.

NewOrleansBowl_zpsb1707dea.png

yVoumO7.jpg

You're right, I'm wrong.

bdd5d14ef91e4c2d.jpg

The only bad aspect of those sweaters are what they tried to pass off as hem stripes. A straight hem stripe that matches the sleeve stripes would elevate this look to perfection.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

yVoumO7.jpg

You're right, I'm wrong.

bdd5d14ef91e4c2d.jpg

Those USA jerseys were used from at least the 1988 Olympics onto the 1996 World Cup.

They wore those uniforms in the 1988 and 1992 Olympics. I own the white from that era

Richter_Barry.jpg

In the 94 Olympics they wore these dumb reebok ads

Lillehammer_small_medium.jpg

I wish we'd go back to wearing red pants with star stripes. That became the quintessential American hockey look and they haven't worn it since the 96 World Cup.

PvO6ZWJ.png

yVoumO7.jpg

You're right, I'm wrong.

bdd5d14ef91e4c2d.jpg

The only bad aspect of those sweaters are what they tried to pass off as hem stripes. A straight hem stripe that matches the sleeve stripes would elevate this look to perfection.

Vlasti Kroupa. That's an OLD picture of the Sharks when they played Team USA once a year back in the 90's. Man that was a while ago. To piggyback, I thought that those were the best that Team USA has looked since the Miracle on Ice 1980 jerseys. The perfect blend of traditional and uniqueness.

tn_CoorsDog.jpgSharks_signature.jpgtn_five_hole_design_logo_copy.jpg

Gibson's Pac-Man mask. Pretty cool but busy as hell.

9e83d710-0515-11e4-9a50-5322859d53ae_Scr

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The guy from icethetics (very reliable) says he has seen the Blues new home jersey (via twitter). Says it is an upgrade. Im guessing it looks something like their pre edge jersey.

Hope so. Sadly, I'm expecting a bland and derivative look instead like most recent NHL changes have been.
So you think everything has to be jazzed up in a way? Should the Red Wings, Blackhawks, or Rangers change now? I'm sure Stillman (the owner) will get it right. I'll take something that's timeless any day, which that seems to be the aim.
Their pre-Edge look was hardly "jazzed up" but looked good and was identifiably theirs.

Their Edge look is essentially their pre-edge look jazzed up, and it's obviously a big downgrade.

I understand being bored by underwhelming, under thought and not very unique. But there's a balance that can come into play, and their previous set did a pretty good job striking the right balance.

I hope this new set will do that too.

yVoumO7.jpg

You're right, I'm wrong.

bdd5d14ef91e4c2d.jpg

I'd concur with that assessment.

Can't wait to see what the Blues come up with...

Was the blues gold color in the 70's yellow or athletic gold. Also how many teams if any actually use yellow as a part of their color scheme? Royal/yellow might be a different but unique look for the blues. Having said that sorry I hate doing the whole "what I wanna see" in these post.

Was the blues gold color in the 70's yellow or athletic gold. Also how many teams if any actually use yellow as a part of their color scheme? Royal/yellow might be a different but unique look for the blues. Having said that sorry I hate doing the whole "what I wanna see" in these post.

growing up (early 90s), I always thought of the blues as royal blue and yellow. even now, I wouldn't say that one of their colors is gold, although I heard reebok changed the hue of the color a couple years ago along with the panthers yellow to match.

I wish we'd go back to wearing red pants with star stripes. That became the quintessential American hockey look and they haven't worn it since the 96 World Cup.

Absolutely. I also wish we'd go back to using royal blue instead of navy for national teams. With so many people who didn't actually care about soccer buying up the USA world cup jerseys, hopefully other teams will consider going back to royal blue.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

yVoumO7.jpg

They wore those uniforms in the 1988 and 1992 Olympics. I own the white from that era

Richter_Barry.jpg

In the 94 Olympics they wore these dumb reebok ads

Lillehammer_small_medium.jpg

I think the photo in question was probably a game held before the 94 uniforms were unveiled so the Olympic team was using the old duds in exhibitions with NHL teams. It's the only way I can rationalize Darby Hendrickson playing for the Olympic Team in an older jersey since he only played in the 1994 Games.

Archived