Sublimated Soccer Unis

FFWally

My background is in cycling unis (kits) and sublimation. A year ago I created my first custom track uni, and that led to doing soccer and rugby uniforms. So why with the ability to create unique looks for clubs and teams, are most still using stock Nike/Adidas/Umbro uniforms and ironing on numbers?

Small 5-10 member cycling clubs spend hours upon hours creating a totally unique (if at times horrid) look, yet Soccer Clubs with huge budgets continue to buy generic off the shelf uniforms.

I'm sure someone here knows at what level teams start moving away from stock pieces and into fully customized pieces... so where is that level, and why is it when I talk to soccer clubs and explain that their technical apparel is not being fully utilized, so I get glazed looks, and my favorite. "Well NIKE doesn't offer that..."

My background is in cycling unis (kits) and sublimation. A year ago I created my first custom track uni, and that led to doing soccer and rugby uniforms. So why with the ability to create unique looks for clubs and teams, are most still using stock Nike/Adidas/Umbro uniforms and ironing on numbers?

Small 5-10 member cycling clubs spend hours upon hours creating a totally unique (if at times horrid) look, yet Soccer Clubs with huge budgets continue to buy generic off the shelf uniforms.

I'm sure someone here knows at what level teams start moving away from stock pieces and into fully customized pieces... so where is that level, and why is it when I talk to soccer clubs and explain that their technical apparel is not being fully utilized, so I get glazed looks, and my favorite. "Well NIKE doesn't offer that..."

If Nike or adidas put as much effort into each team they'd probably start charging more for it. Both to the teams and consumers. For teams outside the top divisions it's better to use stock uniform options unless they plan on placing large orders,(over 200 kits).

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Well the fully utilized was more about technical fabrics covered with vinyl numbers and logos taking away the ability to wick moisture. But, wow... these are horrid.

Because most players at big clubs go through 2 shirts a game, then these are swapped with other players, sold etc. There's no real point in ordering a 100 shirts with a players name and number sublimated if he then gets sold/goes on loan. Then, if a player is signed and plays a day later where is his shirt? It's just easier to print the shirts as required.

Well the fully utilized was more about technical fabrics covered with vinyl numbers and logos taking away the ability to wick moisture. But, wow... these are horrid.

Because most players at big clubs go through 2 shirts a game, then these are swapped with other players, sold etc. There's no real point in ordering a 100 shirts with a players name and number sublimated if he then gets sold/goes on loan. Then, if a player is signed and plays a day later where is his shirt? It's just easier to print the shirts as required.

Makes sense, if you are getting the PRO deal... but schools, and clubs have to pay for all those "free" shirts the sponsored clubs get.

I am working with some high schools and regional club teams on new unis and my custom unis are costing them 50-65% of what the big three charge for stock.

Sublimated kits? Welcome to the 1990s.

_39154167_eadie_norwich200.jpgarsenal3.jpg

Talk about being "fully utilized"...

gallery_1990_3_3531.jpgSNF24SPDJ--380_831217a.jpg

To be fair, those bottom 2 are keepers (so they were thankfully the only ones on the field wearing that), ones who're probably responsible for Football Manager having an "Eccentricity" rating for players. When I heard "sublimated soccer unis", first thing I thought of was Toronto FC's 2013 primary kit:

adidas-Toronto-FC_Morgan.jpg

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Archived