Canucks Concept

randyc

Some of you may have seen the Johnny Canuck-roundel mockup I did in the 2014/15 NHL Uniforms Thread. For those who haven't, I decided to post it here along with some jersey concepts. Just a note, I do plan on adding a green alternate eventually. C&C would be great on these.

o7DOcD5.pngxC08ylI.png

8prlQWA.png

As much as I think the modern "stick n' rink" should be the primary, I would be ecstatic with this set. The full bodied Johnny Canuck looks great in a roundel and that's coming from someone who dislikes roundels in general. I also really like how you made a reverse version of the shoulder patch for the home jersey. Very nice work!

I'm not really feeling the roundel. A lot of empty space in the circle by using the Canucks current condensed font, and I think you do lose something from the skating Johnny Canuck without, ya know, actually seeing him skating. It takes away his motion and traps him in the circle.

I'd love to see the full Johnny Canuck anchored on the stick-in-rink shape, like someone else suggested in that thread, but that's just me.

On the whole with this concept though, it's nice. Good color balance. I'd add color more to the collar on the road white. Well executed, but the roundel's not for me.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I quite like it, but agree with MIGHTY that using the current Canucks font leaves a lot of empty space in the roundel. A shorter font with some loose kerning would be a big improvement. That's about the only fault I see in the concept though.

Still MIGHTY - I had thought that too, but that's why I kept the full-bodied Johnny Canuck logo in the set.

Couple of different options here. Changed the font on the first one and for the second I loosened up the kerning and added 19 and 70 to the sides of the roundel. I'm not too sure on the 19 and 70. It's supposed to represent the Canucks first year in the league but having the number split in half makes it seem like they are supposed to be separate. I'll let you guys be the judge.

HyiFbBp.png4fiqpIJ.png

8prlQWA.png

Terrific job on the white outline! I think that's a better look, especially on the sweater.

I definitely prefer the roundel version. Its something we never see from the Canucks but I think it really works. Nice job as well of giving the roundel the same striping pattern (blue-white-green-white-blue) as the white sweater.

• 3 months later...

I'm bumping this back up because I have updated the uniforms. I have moved to a new template, as well as started using Illustrator for uniforms. In this update, I have gotten rid of using the Canucks current name and number font and am now using the Kings alternate font for the name, and the Blues font for the number.

QrqIWjR.pngaMtfLCr.png

8prlQWA.png

I'm bumping this back up because I have updated the uniforms. I have moved to a new template, as well as started using Illustrator for uniforms. In this update, I have gotten rid of using the Canucks current name and number font and am now using the Kings alternate font for the name, and the Blues font for the number.

QrqIWjR.pngaMtfLCr.png

randyc, the Canucks need to hire you ASAP. These are among the very best Canucks concepts I've ever seen. While we have our respective tastes on what we like and don't like, you seemed to have balanced everyone's tastes extremely well.

As a huge supporter of Johnny Canuck, I just love how he looks in a roundel. Roundels have been overdone recently but Johnny does fit in very nicely. And what a breath of fresh air to see traditional and legible block font on a Canucks concept....with a green border. It just screams "CANUCKS".

Now, here are some suggestions from my side....

a. Remove the blue yokes from the whites. Yoke-free white jerseys have been a constant with Canucks jerseys.

b. On the whites, make the roundel blue with a green border because blue is the the primary dark colour. This would also make up for dropping the blue yokes.

c. I would keep the modified Stick 'n Rink the way it is. Was never a fan of inverting it on the blues because the green does not pop out well and the blue space that would form the 'C' would get lost between the green border and the white rink.

Overall, great, great job!! (**)(**)(**)(**)(**)

Archived