infrared41's Best and Worst of the Week - NFL Week 12

infrared41

First, a quick mea culpa for missing week 11. It was Thursday before I realized I'd forgotten to do the list. But it turned out that we didn't miss much anyway. Week 11 was easily the weakest uniform match up week of the season. There would have been two games on the best list - 49ers at Giants and Vikings at Bears - and no worst list.

Fortunately for us, the weakest week of the season was followed by one of the stronger uniform match up weeks we've had this season. There was some serious competition for the number one spot on the best list. There were some truly great looking games this week. The top four are pretty much interchangeable. We also have what might be our best (?) worst list so far. There were some real train wrecks this week. So let's put 60 seconds on the clock and play our game.

Best:

1. Packers - Vikings: It's no secret that, way more often than not, the top spot on this list usually goes to a match up of "traditional" uniforms. In my opinion, there aren't many "modern" looks that work well enough to knock the classics from the top of the pecking order. The Vikings home uniform is the rare exception. Throw in those fantastic Packers road uniforms and this game gets the #1 spot in a very competitive week. They should all look this good.

packers-vikings-footb_berr2.jpg

2. Jets - Bills: The Bills are another example of a "modern" uniform being able to hang with the big dogs. Thankfully, the Jets left the green pants at home. If the battle for the #2 spot this week had been a 100 yard dash, this game beats game #3 by .0002 seconds. Every game should look this good.

-59e6eb8293dc4523.jpg

3. Chiefs - Raiders: How competitive was this week's best list? So competitive that this game is #3 on the list. Two of the best looks in all of football. Let's all pray to the football gods that neither of these teams ever decides it needs an "update." Every game should look this good.

66a4d2c0-2823-47cd-a231-ccdaf2c49619.jpg

4. Washington - San Francisco: A great looking match up. Sure, Washington has some stripe issues but the road look still looks great. The 49ers have no issues...well...other than at QB. Every game should look this good.

4a87ba15-7bd3-4fff-9905-a6800c623706.jpg

5. Cowboys - Giants: The only game on the best list that doesn't have an argument for the #1 spot. Maybe someday someone will finally convince Jerry Jones to fix the colors. As always, the Giants look great.

606d9dfa-deb2-4992-b1b9-3b69608bbd2e.jpg

Worst:

1. Ravens - Saints: Take away the black pants and this is a pretty good looking game. The Ravens should start wearing McCarthy's concept for their uniforms as soon as possible. If you haven't seen McCarthy's great Ravens concept, you should immediately head over to concepts and take a look. I'll wait. Does anyone think the Saints look good in black monochrome? Anyone other than Chawls, that is?

-f7d6057791b24a77.jpg

2. Cardinals - Seahawks: One of these teams is a few tweaks away from having a really great look. The other is the Seattle Seahawks. If the Cardinals just dropped those stupid stripes and side panels, they would look pretty good. Hell, I even kinda like the red shoulder thing. If the Seahawks would just get rid of the blue pants, their look would be halfway decent. Until then, weekly contenders for the worst list.

b977018d-5b8c-4829-bcb7-017a04d2dac6.jpg

3. Browns - Falcons: Thanks, Browns. Another wasted week. This game could have been a contender for the #1 spot on the best list. But someone thinks those brown pants look good which is bad enough. What's worse is that someone thinks this Falcons look is better than their fantastic alternates. No accounting for taste, I guess.

16412781-standard.jpg

That's it for this week. We'll do it all again next week. Thanks for dropping by.

BB52Big.jpg

While you're at it you could also mention how I like the the Browns' brown pants with the striped socks.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Thanks for the shoutout.

Here's what he's talking about: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/101171-mccarthys-nfl/?p=2341259

I would've put the Chiefs-Raiders at #1 because it just always looks so damn good against each other. Two complete opposites - bright and warm, cold and dark, smoke vs fire, CONTRAST. And they're wearing classic football uniforms that are no frills, gets the job done, looks sweet while they do it uniforms. Every game should strive to look that good.

Cowboys-Giants is too much blue for me to like the matchup, plus that stadium's night lighting is just awful. I can't endorse the DC area team in those yellow pants. They need to bring back the burgundy pants with the white striped socks. I hate that the Jets insist on wearing their white striped socks with the road white pants. Those socks should only come out of the drawer when they wear the green pants.

I agree with your WORST list though you wouldn't gotten any blinks from me if you'd included the Buccaneers against the Bears in their purposeless alternates

PvO6ZWJ.png

Thanks for the shoutout.

Here's what he's talking about: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/101171-mccarthys-nfl/?p=2341259

I would've put the Chiefs-Raiders at #1 because it just always looks so damn good against each other. Two complete opposites - bright and warm, cold and dark, smoke vs fire, CONTRAST. And they're wearing classic football uniforms that are no frills, gets the job done, looks sweet while they do it uniforms. Every game should strive to look that good.

Cowboys-Giants is too much blue for me to like the matchup, plus that stadium's night lighting is just awful. I can't endorse the DC area team in those yellow pants. They need to bring back the burgundy pants with the white striped socks. I hate that the Jets insist on wearing their white striped socks with the road white pants. Those socks should only come out of the drawer when they wear the green pants.

I agree with your WORST list though you wouldn't gotten any blinks from me if you'd included the Buccaneers against the Bears in their purposeless alternates

I just took a look at the rest of your NFL concepts. The work is outstanding. The only one I wasn't crazy about was the Panthers. The NFL should hire you as it's uniform czar.

Chiefs - Raiders was a tough call for me. It started out as the #1 game but after thinking about it, I realized that I was automatically giving it the top spot mostly out of tradition. In the end, I went with the games I liked best. As I said, if the best list had been a 100 yd dash, the top three times* would have looked like this...Vikings - Packers 9.008, Jets - Bills 9.006, Chiefs - Raiders 9.004.

*before someone comes along and does what this place does, I have no idea if those times are realistic 100 yd dash times

The Bears alts are perfectly fine uniforms...if we're talking about perfectly fine high school uniforms of the 1960's. They aren't good, but I don't think they're so bad that they should be on the worst list.

BB52Big.jpg

Can we just make every team use the 1979 unis?

SearsWishbook.1979C.P455+-+NFL+Uniforms.

I like the idea, but what are we going to do about the teams that didn't exist in 1979?

Use the uniforms of a local semipro team that existed in 1979. The Baltimore Eagles were pretty good back then (with Joe Gilliam as their QB according to Wiki).

:upside:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Usually I read your weekly list and 80 to 90% agree. This week I 100% agree.

We just have great taste in uniforms, I guess. B)

I think that's twice now this season that your Vikings have grabbed the #1 spot. Not bad.

Yeah, I'm pretty sold on their current home uniform home, too. And I don't think it's just me being a homer, either, since I hated their previous look. I'm pretty sure there wasn't anybody they could've played against in their 2006-2012 uniforms that would've allowed them anywhere near your top five.

Can we just make every team use the 1979 unis?

SearsWishbook.1979C.P455+-+NFL+Uniforms.

Yuck, they gave every team a gray facemask on those sets.

The actual uniforms from '79...love them over today's for sure.

Let's see here - In 1979 the Bucs, Chiefs, Chargers, Broncos, Falcons, Bills, Colts, Browns, Saints, Giants, Jets, Steelers, Washington were wearing non-gray masks.

That's more than I thought, but the majority of NFL teams (Bears, Bengals*, Lions, Packers, Oilers, Rams*, Dolphins* Vikings*, Patriots, Raiders, Eagles, Cardinals, 49ers, Seahawks) were still using gray facemasks. The toy manufacturer probably found it more economical to just buy a whole bunch of gray plastic facemasks rather than stock themselves with the correct colors for each team.

That doesn't mean it's a good reason, but that's probably the reason every team has the same colored facemask.

*changed to non-gray masks in 1980

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived