Non-block font numbers that look good

Ark

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I am used to the Bears font and I can acknowledge that all teams wearing block fonts would be kinda boring, there is definitely no font I prefer to your basic block. I think it is too bad that almost all new uniforms need to have a new propriety font. It's giving us weird fonts like the Vikings.

One exception is the Red Sox...kinda like the Bears, I am used to it. The five is too blocky on the left and the seven could have a less-pronounced curve, but overall I like it.

For the most part, though, give me block (unpopular opinion). I HATE UCLA's numbers. I don't like when Kansas does the same thing. I hate weird fonts like the original Wild, early lightning examples, the KG-era T-Wolves. It seems to me that a lot of fonts seem to be trying too hard...it's a part of the Bengals massive screw up, muddies up the Texas Rangers (though the impact on NOB is worse), and makes teams like the Steelers look less "bold".

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Here are a few that I think look good.

NFL

Denver Broncos

Philadelphia Eagles

Atlanta Falcons

MLB

Toronto Blue Jays

Cincinnati Reds

Arizona Diamondbacks

NHL

Washington Capitals

Vancouver Canucks

Colorado Avalanche

Disagree on the Canucks and Avalanche.

The Canucks' Agency font looks extremely cheap for a 45 year-old franchise that, previously, has always used block font. A green border needs to be added.

The Avalanche's font and uniforms seem to only get high marks because of past Stanley Cup success. If their garish font were designed more along the lines of the LA Angels and with maroon numbers on their white jerseys instead of black, the Avs would have a much better look.

I think the reason the Bears' font looks so good is because of the consistent line weights.

That's also why your basic blocks are so aesthetically pleasing - the lines are all the same thickness, giving it an equal weight and balance. Looks good on a jersey.

When you get into custom fonts with odd and uneven weights, that's when they start to look bad to my eyes.

While I am used to the Bears font and I can acknowledge that all teams wearing block fonts would be kinda boring, there is definitely no font I prefer to your basic block. I think it is too bad that almost all new uniforms need to have a new propriety font. It's giving us weird fonts like the Vikings.

Exactly. A lot of the proprietary fonts are screwing up uniforms that would otherwise look pretty good.

BB52Big.jpg

Kinda bias but I love the texans font.

That's definitely the best non-block font currently out there.

And gosh as much as it makes my intestines want to explode by saying this, I think FSU has a great font currently.

CQQTONF.png

UGA also looks very nice with the new font.

Screen-shot-2013-04-02-at-2.25.53-PM.png

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

7872427.jpg

Miami's a tweak or two away from having great unique numbers (Namely the awkward break in the 4 and the beveling)

I don't like that font at all for Miami. They have a sleek looking logo m and wordmark, and the (slab?) serif font completely contrasts with that and looks so out of place. And the odd drop shadow doesn't help any.

NFL

Steelers (Yes, I like the italics)

Texans

Broncos

Bears

Lions

MLB

Blue Jays

Phillies

Reds

Pirates

Brewers (It suits them well)

Cubs

NBA

Pacers

Heat

Nuggets (It isn't like the regular blocked number fonts)

Timberwolves

Trail Blazers

Grizzlies

Pelicans

NHL

Capitals

Hurricanes (It's the only thing that stands out positively from a boring jersey)

Blue Jackets

Kings

Archived